FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 12-29-2015, 03:55 PM

Angry Landing Nets = $$$

I WAS in the market for a new, better net, one with the nice rubber coating to help prevent hooks from getting stuck. I think i will stick with the cheapy one that i have!
i have gone to some, not all of the major retail stores locally and have noticed one alarming trend in the net business.....they are SKY HIGH on price!
since when did an aluminum handle with an aluminum loop and un-coated rope demand the selling of a kidney to afford???? have i been out of touch on this centuries old fishing staple that they have somehow managed to run the price up on those too? LOL.
i know there are different features like collapsible handles and stow-a-way nets and 1-hand operation nets and such but do they really warrant the price tag of $60-$100 and UP for a not so large net?
Im sure Frabill makes a fine product along with the other manufacturers, but based on principal alone, i will not be spending that kind of money on a net!
Still in sticker shock over here! LOL
What makes them so high today? am i missing something?
i might be just buying the replacement netting if thats not too high.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:00 PM

I found a new sliding handle Frabill rubber net at a pawn shop over the summer for 20 bucks, SCORE! Check walmart, I think there prices seemed decent.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:53 PM

I never would have thought about checking a pawn shop!
I still have high hopes for academy and walmart though.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:05 PM
Master Trout Magnet

I bought an EGO Slider net through Trout Magnet years ago.....TM no longer sells them. I got a big break on the price or I wouldn't have bought it. It extends out to 80 inches...it is somewhat heavy...but it has landed a lot of fish for me. It floats...I know because I tested that part of it out...LOL. The problem with the EGO net is the sliding mechanism. After 3 years my handle failed. I called them and even though the warranty was long expired they sent me a new handle at no cost to me at all. After using the replacement handle for two years it is starting to stick also. Supposedly they have fixed that problem in the new models...but the net will no longer float with the new handles. I will use it until it no longer works. But you are spot on about the cost of a good net....pretty high. I do love the full rubber nets though......no snagged hook problems. Sooner or later I will need one and have been looking at some nets out of Japan....but they are just as expensive as the high end nets here.

Regards
Old 12-29-2015, 09:58 PM

It just amazes me that something like a net can cost so much. Its not like the entire concept of a net has been completely re-invented either. Pole, hoop, knoted up string or rubber.....thats about it! lol.
I think its cause Dan the Man and the Big Dawg are always plugging thier freebie Frabil so they have to charge more to equal out all of thier hand outs to pro's! lol
Old 12-30-2015, 08:06 AM

I picked up one of these: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...duct/10205344/
during BPS's spring fishing sale a couple of years back for twenty-something bucks...it has served me well, I would buy again.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 AM

Wait till you find a decent deal online, then look at the shipping cost. :duh:

You can always build your own...Memphis Net and Twine or Jann's Netcraft have supplies needed.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:32 PM

yeah im gonna come across a good net at a good price at some point. i have a cheapy net, so im in no rush.
might just get a gaff instead! LOL..look like a real clown gaffing 10" crappies this spring!
Old 12-30-2015, 01:56 PM

If your catching 10" crappies in the spring you are a clown anyways I keep a .22 in the boat so I can just shoot the bigger crappie like they do gators in the Bayou. Everyone knows you gaff the big strikers to help get them in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2015, 10:09 PM

Tackle Warehouse, Tackle craft and Cabelas is where I get most of my items... good prices, delivered to my door and in a day or so and is worth the extra 10-30 bucks I spend verse riding around wasting my time when I could be on the lake. The fact your happy is of more value than the cost of items.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 AM
Fishing TN Staff

I use the Leverage Landing net, it folds in half for easy storage, and extended it extends to about 4' so it has good reach. Also the hoop is oval instead of round so it takes up less space, and has a coated mesh net so hooks don't get hung up in it. Yak Attack bought Leverage Landing net and are in the process of a redesign, marketing, and branding.

Here's a video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxHgvTCFUA
Old 01-10-2016, 07:53 PM

I was at Academy yesterday (should have been fishing but the forecast -and even the radar- looked pretty wet-but hardly rained a drop! Dangit) and remembering this post, I checked out the net section. They had several in the 20-30 dollar range that looked pretty good and had the coating on the netting. 2 were Frabill, another was decent looking- can't remember the brand. You'd better get a good one though- soon will need it to land all the saugers! (I hope) They sure have been messing with the water flow in a weird way it seems, or is it just me?