FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-02-2020, 12:12 PM

Default Eatin Spots for Outdoors folks

Kinda of a rainy day stuck in the house topic..but here goes.

The wife and I like to combine eating out with fishing and/or hiking. Here are a few of our favorite spots we like to stop at before or after our trips.

Our favorite breakfast/brunch in middle TN is at the Old Mill at Readyville, Only open I think Fir - Sun and you will need a reservation Sat/Sun. Also, strictly for hiking days- parking lot is definitely not boat trailer friendly.

Rock Island market has great breakfasts and their pies are good too. Also a good place to get minnows and other local baits. I think they are closed Mondays though. Right up the road is The Landing (shell station) which has a great meat & 3 on weekdays. Both places boat trailer friendly -the Landing moreso as the Market can get kind of crowded.

The KFC in Sparta, for whatever reason, is a cut above your normal KFC and a great stopping place, especially if you are pulling a boat. Another good one in Sparta is the White Possum, which again for whatever reason, seems to have a lot better food than the White Possum in Smithville. (maybe its just me, but I have yet to find anywhere to eat in Smithville worth stopping at).

If are headed to Savage Gulf or Old Stone Fort for some hiking we generally combine it with a stop at The Smokehouse in Monteagle. This is probably my favorite restaurant of all. Have tried the Oaks and some other places in Manchester and found its much better to just make the run up the mountain to Monteagle.

If we are headed to Fall Creek Falls we used to like going to the restaurant there, but the idiots tore down the lodge and can't seem to get the new one built. So instead we head down the mountain to the Cookie Jar cafe in Dunlap. Their setting up on a knob on a working farm in the Sequatchie Valley is just amazing and their pies are to die for. Also, probably the best chicken & dumplings we have found anywhere. The decor is really cool too.

The Collins River BBQ in McMinnville is really good too, but if your pulling a boat your gonna have to park in the city lot and walk a block. The Captains Ds in McMinnville is boat trailer friendly and for whatever reason is about a zillion times better than your regular Captain Ds which is usually pretty awful. Also should mention Smooth Rapids outfitters in McMinnville offers an outstanding kayak/canoe trip down the Barren Fork to the Collins.

If we are on I 40 for Center Hill or lower Caney then the Timberloft restaurant at the Gordonsville exit is generally a must stop. BBQ is outstanding and reasonably priced, plus their lot is very boat trailer friendly. They have another location up the Wildwood Marina which I have not been to.

Another good hiking and eating spot is the lodge at Cumberland Mtn State Park. Their buffet is amazing, then you can stroll right out the lodge on a really nice paved hike around the lake with some huge hemlock trees.

If we are out on Priest for spring crappie we will generally run down to Fate Sanders marina and tie up right by restaurant. Food is ok and kinda neat eating in a booth looking out right by the boat.

A ton of other places around but these stick out in my mind as making the trips just a little more special.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:53 PM

Neat topic...

If you find yourself at Cedars of Lebanon, there is Taqueria jalisco. Between the park entrance and the flea market. If you like Mexican, this is place is pretty much authentic... They have great street taco's.

Weekends the area is packed but I'd say its boat friendly
Old 01-02-2020, 02:16 PM

Good thread.

The Obrien's country diner on 49 next to the harpeth is great and very cheap. On percy in the summer if the fishing is slow I stop by Shipwrecks cove because the have live music on the weekends. J&B Market near Old Hick dam is a nice throwback.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:07 PM

Jeff Is Slow, great to see you back on the forum. Think I like finding good eateries as much as fishing. Please, everyone, post a good spot regardless if it is fisherman friendly.
Must be MAGA friendly.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
Neat topic...

If you find yourself at Cedars of Lebanon, there is Taqueria jalisco. Between the park entrance and the flea market. If you like Mexican, this is place is pretty much authentic... They have great street taco's.

Weekends the area is packed but I'd say its boat friendly
Flatline, Is it as good as truck stop food?
Old 01-02-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy15 View Post
Good thread.

The Obrien's country diner on 49 next to the harpeth is great and very cheap. On percy in the summer if the fishing is slow I stop by Shipwrecks cove because the have live music on the weekends. J&B Market near Old Hick dam is a nice throwback.
Buzzy, Appreciate the comment on OBrians. Been wanting to go there. If food is no good I will send you the bill.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:15 PM

If you are around the Waverly/Hurricane Mills exit and like bar-b-que or fried catfish, try Rochelle's beside the Pilot Station. It is open on Wed-Sat til 8pm. Great brisket, ribs, pulled pork and fried catfish. I think you have to asked for the catfish. Great sides too. If in Ethridge, try Schafers Bar B Que. Some of the best brisket you will eat. Get there for lunch or before supper. I think they close at 6pm. If you like cajun type food, try Papa Boudreaux's in Sante Fe outside of Columbia. Look it up before going. This is one of my favorites.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsLowe View Post

If we are headed to Fall Creek Falls we used to like going to the restaurant there, but the idiots tore down the lodge and can't seem to get the new one built.

Another good hiking and eating spot is the lodge at Cumberland Mtn State Park. Their buffet is amazing, then you can stroll right out the lodge on a really nice paved hike around the lake with some huge hemlock trees.
We just ate at the restaurant at Falls Creek Falls in August , wondering if there are more than one

I live 10 minutes from Cumberland Mountain State Park, their buffet is decent, I don't eat catfish but everyone seems like like it , I usually end up eating a salad and roast beef, my wife loves their baked cod, only downfall is it can be crowded at times and all the old northerners are rude as hell and will cut you in line lol
Old 01-02-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Buzzy, Appreciate the comment on OBrians. Been wanting to go there. If food is no good I will send you the bill.

Go ahead. Breakfast won’t be more than $5! If you don’t like eggs, biscuits and gravy then that’s your problem not mine!!! Tight lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Flatline, Is it as good as truck stop food?

Hahahahaha..... Ummmm better !!! I often ask myself what the hell is the fascination about truckstop foods. Once upon a time ok, but now days..? I would much prefer to eat anywhere but a truck stop. Why do you think I learned how to cook so good ? Oh that's right I've spared you folks from some of my gourmet creations... This yr I bought a pellet smoker and have been busy mastering the art of smoking different food groups. My latest was a splatcock turkey. Best smoked turkey I have every eaten... if I say so myself

And my home made pecan pie wasn't bad either

I'd open up a restaurant if it wasn't like work... My long time friend that passed away said I should call it Andy's Rib Emporium
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-11-28 15.02.13.jpg (257.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-11-27 20.54.42.jpg (237.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-03-2020, 06:42 AM

Cooks Market at Hobson Pike and Stewarts Ferry going to JPP has pretty good biscuits and sandwiches, additionally does a meat and three mid week. Can get super busy and only has three small tables. Due to the high traffic/intersection I wouldn't park with my boat there for any length of time unless someone is with it...just can't trust people anymore, more or less its a get and go but better than most.

Last edited by notorious; 01-03-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
We just ate at the restaurant at Falls Creek Falls in August , wondering if there are more than one

I live 10 minutes from Cumberland Mountain State Park, their buffet is decent, I don't eat catfish but everyone seems like like it , I usually end up eating a salad and roast beef, my wife loves their baked cod, only downfall is it can be crowded at times and all the old northerners are rude as hell and will cut you in line lol
I was referring to the Fall Creek Falls Inn. Used to be a fabulous place to eat with a great buffet overlooking the lake. But the state, (in their infinite wisdom) decided to knock down the building and is having trouble getting the new one built.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...illion/493323/
Old 01-03-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Jeff Is Slow, great to see you back on the forum. Think I like finding good eateries as much as fishing. Please, everyone, post a good spot regardless if it is fisherman friendly.
Must be MAGA friendly.
Not so much slow as cautious. We have actually been to that Mexican Flea Market at Cedar Forest - once - but that was back before my Trump hat and sticker days....

Quick OT Cedar Forest story, The wife used to love picking blackberries there, Then one day as we were walking out one of the locals stopped by with a huge rattlesnake draped over the hood of his jeep,

Now we have our own blackberry patch.

Back to the topic.

Another good breakfast spot is the Gondola in McMinnville, Lot is trailer friendly and they have a good bkfst buffet.

Used to be a good spot for an early bkfst is McDs but then they quietly put up the dreaded "No Gun" signs. Scratched off my list for sure.

Another good lunch and breakfast spot is the Hwy 30 market between McMinnvile and Spencer. You just walk in and tell Gary what you would like and he fixes it for you. He also has great pulled pork that he smokes himself. Also boat trailer friendly.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Cooks Market at Hobson Pike and Stewarts Ferry going to JPP has pretty good biscuits and sandwiches, additionally does a meat and three mid week. Can get super busy and only has three small tables. Due to the high traffic/intersection I wouldn't park with my boat there for any length of time unless someone is with it...just can't trust people anymore, more or less its a get and go but better than most.
Yup they have pretty good bbq too.

The gas station at Suggs Creek just right up Stewarts Ferry from there also has pretty good bkfst biscuits. They also sell minnows. Not so crowded and little more trailer friendly.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:10 PM

Lots of good places already mentioned on this thread. If you like Goood catfish and I mean Goood catfish you must try the twin lakes catfish farm on the Gainsboro highway in Baxter Tn. Absolutely the best catfish I have ever eaten. The other food is good also along with homemade pies and cakes desserts but the catfish is what they are known for. They have an event park and a pay fishing lake. I only go to the restaurant and there is plenty of parking.