FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 08-23-2014, 12:53 AM

Default Percy Priest Lake 8/17/2014

First post on here. I went to Jefferson Springs Recreation Area last weekend in Smyrna, TN. Had some pretty good success--caught 8 (smallest 1.5lbs, largest 3lbs) bass. All from the bank, as I don't have a boat or kayak. All were caught with Pop-R or Mini Torpedo.

Here are some pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg largemouth1.jpg (87.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg largemouth2.jpg (99.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg largemouth3.jpg (113.0 KB, 92 views)
Old 08-23-2014, 06:11 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your catch.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 AM

Welcome to the site. Nice fish.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indeathinite View Post
First post on here. I went to Jefferson Springs Recreation Area last weekend in Smyrna, TN. Had some pretty good success--caught 8 (smallest 1.5lbs, largest 3lbs) bass. All from the bank, as I don't have a boat or kayak. All were caught with Pop-R or Mini Torpedo.

Here are some pictures:

This is my first post too. I moved here not long ago from NV. I joined a few years ago to check things out when I visited cousins who live here.

I checked that recreation area from a satellite view and It looks like it actually boarders the Stones River rather than the lake. Not that it matters, but I wanted to make sure I'm looking at the right place.

From the aerial view it looks like the only shore fishing area is near the boat ramp. There seem to be too many trees at the shoreline in other spots for shore fishing.

Can anyone tell me if there are picnic tables out there?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 02:00 PM

Yes, there are picnic tables there but I believe they are on the right just before you get to the ramp. I sometimes launch from that area and see bank fishermen all the time and they seem to have some luck there. Please be aware, that there are sometimes undesirables that hang out at that ramp from time to time. I guess that can be said for several ramps on Percy Priest lake. Just be aware of your surroundings and overly friendly men that may approach. It happened to me once while I was trailering up my boat but he wasn't so chatty when he noticed I was open carrying my .45 that day and wasn't buying what he was selling.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the heads up titan. I'm in the process of getting my ccw permit right now. I'm getting fingerprinted in a few days then a couple month's wait for the actual permit.

Last edited by dennyboy; 08-28-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyboy View Post
Thanks for the heads up titan. I'm in the process of getting my ccw permit right now. I'm getting fingerprinted in a few days then a couple month's wait for the actual permit.
It should not take months, call them within 4 weeks to see what the status is. I did that and they shipped it next day to me. That was 6 years ago.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttitan27 View Post
Yes, there are picnic tables there but I believe they are on the right just before you get to the ramp. I sometimes launch from that area and see bank fishermen all the time and they seem to have some luck there. Please be aware, that there are sometimes undesirables that hang out at that ramp from time to time. I guess that can be said for several ramps on Percy Priest lake. Just be aware of your surroundings and overly friendly men that may approach. It happened to me once while I was trailering up my boat but he wasn't so chatty when he noticed I was open carrying my .45 that day and wasn't buying what he was selling.
You do know that caryring on Corp property is illegal. Seems kind of stupid that an honest citizen can't legally protect himself/family.
Hamilton Creek is a Metro park and is posted "No Firearms".
Could result in 11 mo and 29 days.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
It should not take months, call them within 4 weeks to see what the status is. I did that and they shipped it next day to me. That was 6 years ago.
Yes, I'm hoping for a quick turnaround for the permit. I've found myself fishing in some pretty remote locations since moving to TN. Things happen in not-so-remote places too. When visiting here 2 years ago I was at Med Ctr Pkwy greenway area and some huge guy wanted me to stop fishing and give him a lift somewhere. I was close to making a 911 call, but he left.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
You do know that caryring on Corp property is illegal. Seems kind of stupid that an honest citizen can't legally protect himself/family.

Yes but a few things come to mind. First the Corps doesn't have a police force to enforce this law. I have had conversations with Sheriffs deputies at the boat ramps before when I was open carrying and they had no problems whatsoever.

Second, here is a recent case where that law was challenged in Lewiston Idaho and it was ruled in favor of the carrier of the firearm. It is an interesting read. I believe I will take my chances and if need be I would take it to court like the lady in Idaho.

http://www.mountainstateslegal.org/n...s#.U_-STcVsh8E
Old 08-28-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
The entire lake is corps property, corps jurisdiction. I always announce to TWRA that I am carrying, when approached. No problems.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:10 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Thanks for posting ttitan27. Very interesting read.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
The entire lake is corps property, corps jurisdiction. I always announce to TWRA that I am carrying, when approached. No problems.

I got stopped by Fish and Game earlier this year, had the M&P OC'd and had no problem, I alerted him to the fact I was carrying. I also ran into the Sheriff while OC'ing on the water, no issues there either. It's Technically illegal but they don't enforce it. If they did I would just CC or put it in a compartment.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttitan27 View Post
Yes but a few things come to mind. First the Corps doesn't have a police force to enforce this law. I have had conversations with Sheriffs deputies at the boat ramps before when I was open carrying and they had no problems whatsoever.

Second, here is a recent case where that law was challenged in Lewiston Idaho and it was ruled in favor of the carrier of the firearm. It is an interesting read. I believe I will take my chances and if need be I would take it to court like the lady in Idaho.

http://www.mountainstateslegal.org/n...s#.U_-STcVsh8E
The local Corp riding around has no lawful authority (so I was told). Also I have been told by others that TWRA officers have told them that they do not care so lond as you have a permit. Most law officers do not care. However, there is always one wanting to make a name for himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Pookie, I know it is Corp property. Still Metro Parks has authority at Hamilton Creek and it is posted as I stated earlier. I was talking to another fisherman at the ramp about carrying. He said even if you got arrested there is not much possibility of a DA prosecuting. This guy worked in the Davidson Cty courts.

I do not understand why I can have a firearm in my car on school property but not in a Metro park. Must be a Democrats law.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
I got stopped by Fish and Game earlier this year, had the M&P OC'd and had no problem, I alerted him to the fact I was carrying. I also ran into the Sheriff while OC'ing on the water, no issues there either. It's Technically illegal but they don't enforce it. If they did I would just CC or put it in a compartment.
It doesn't matter, Sambo just wants to argue.

Whether a traffic stop or stopped by TWRA, I announce it either way. Technically, even if you are open carrying, that is not probable cause to stop you or even ask you for your permit. It is merely a courtesy to them that I offer the info.