FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 PM

There's one advertised on Craigslist in Portland. They provide lunch and a hunt for $100
Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 AM

Definitely not paying 100 bucks. I went to Bark Camp Barrons yesterday and only was able to shoot at 9 birds, got 2 of them. I had such a great time though and am looking forward to a few more hunts before this phase ends. After opening day the crowds significantly diminish. I could have a had a great day of shooting but most of the birds coming my way were either shot or turned around before getting into my range. My Father and I tried to move but it was too crowded and we didn't want to impede on other's spots.

Anyone else get out yesterday or plan on dove hunting? I'm considering the Chetham field this weekend.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 09-02-2014, 08:31 PM

We hunted in Springfield yesterday over cut silage that had been top sewn with wheat. Between 3 of us, we killed probably 50 doves, but picked up 45. Even hunting with a dog, you still can't recover all of em.

There weren't any big waves of doves, but from 1:30 on, it was solid onesys and twosys. The wind howled all day like it was blowing a front in, but it never rained on us.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:26 PM

I went Monday to some private land with my brother-in-law. I killed 7 (found 6) but brought home 45 breasts. We were out there with 10 guys and I'd say about 6 or 7 of them didn't have any interest in keeping them so I gladly took them off their hands and cleaned them. I would love to keep going out there every weekend but driving 2 1/2 hours to hunt every weekend just isn't worth it. I am looking at possibly going on a WMA this weekend but not sure which one to go to. It'd be fun to get together with some of yall if any of you have interest in going out this weekend to a WMA.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:48 PM
rookie

I hit one of the twra public shoots in Bedford county on Haley rd near Wartrace and had a blast not too crowded, decent number of birds and just like you Jimmy most of the birds I shot at were getting out of dodge, dropped 13 picked 12, I will probably go to Bark camp barrens in Manchester one day this weekend, every time ive gone to this place has been a great hunt, good numbers of birds and like you said a lot less hunters after opening day!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Sportsman View Post
I hit one of the twra public shoots in Bedford county on Haley rd near Wartrace and had a blast not too crowded, decent number of birds and just like you Jimmy most of the birds I shot at were getting out of dodge, dropped 13 picked 12, I will probably go to Bark camp barrens in Manchester one day this weekend, every time ive gone to this place has been a great hunt, good numbers of birds and like you said a lot less hunters after opening day!
I heard it was a small war in Bedford Co, and they took birds out by the bucket fulls. Leaving Shelbyville on 82 headed towards Moore Co, there is a rock pile on the left with sunflowers planted. It is a private hunt, but damn, it is loaded with birds. I would pay good money just to shoot it once.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:43 AM

Has anyone been to the WMA on Percy Priest this year or in the past or heard anything about the birds on opening day? On opening day they only allow a certain amount of hunters by drawing names. It's closed during the week, only open Saturdays and Sundays. Saturday looks like stormy weather so probably won't be too many hunters. My Father and I are most likely going to hunt it Sunday afternoon.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
I heard it was a small war in Bedford Co, and they took birds out by the bucket fulls. Leaving Shelbyville on 82 headed towards Moore Co, there is a rock pile on the left with sunflowers planted. It is a private hunt, but damn, it is loaded with birds. I would pay good money just to shoot it once.
I had intentions to try and get friendly with farmers who have vast fields of corn to see if I could dove hunt but I never got around to it. Maybe I'll try in time for the winter phase. I'd pay money for a private hunt but not as much as some are asking. I've seen several in the 100-200 dollar range and that's just crazy. Even if you get a limit of birds it's not worth that much money in my opinion. Evidently it's worth it to some people or the wouldn't charge that much.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:23 PM
rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
I know where u talking about, it is right at the edge of town by the river, really good looking spot, seen a bunch of turkeys there last week too
Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM
rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
Has anyone been to the WMA on Percy Priest this year or in the past or heard anything about the birds on opening day? On opening day they only allow a certain amount of hunters by drawing names. It's closed during the week, only open Saturdays and Sundays. Saturday looks like stormy weather so probably won't be too many hunters. My Father and I are most likely going to hunt it Sunday afternoon.
I wish I could help u but dont venture much towards that end, good luck on Sunday hunting with your father, I wish I could hunt with mine!
Old 08-16-2015, 04:48 PM

How was that Beasley hunt last year? My dad and I went to that back in 2003 and it was a hot shoot, for sure. Does anyone know if they are doing one on the 1st or the first weekend? I have a hunt scheduled for the 1st of september, but I'd love to get in another one on Saturday or Sunday. Especially since after opening day you can hunt the morning flight!
Old 08-16-2015, 05:07 PM

or how was any hunt, for that matter? Exploring all the options. Any WMA's in region 2 or middle/TN that tend to produce? Unfortunately, I've had bad luck each time with WMA/TWRA Leased dove hunts, the birds weren't there. I'm fine with paying for a hunt if it's reasonable/fairly legal and managed properly.

Thoughts?

Looking for a September 5th,6th, or 7th hunt

Thanks
Old 08-17-2015, 09:45 AM

I'm still waiting on the TWRA to post the Region 2 field information...which is amazing to me that they are not posting yet given they probably started planting and managing these fields 3-4 months ago. They know where the fields are, I don't know why they're taking so long to post up the locations and dates we're allowed to hunt them.

I've had no luck on finding a pay hunt that isn't outrageously priced. The designated fields can get very crowded and if you're in a bad spot you could easily sit there all day and only get to shoot at a few birds. I'm planning to get to the field I hunt really early even though we can't shoot until noon so I can get a good spot. I'll nap and wake up when it's legal to shoot and hopefully have a good hunt.

Last year I went to the JPP field a few times after the opener and one time could have had a great afternoon if my gun wasn't jamming up, had to get it fixed after that!

Old 09-03-2015, 12:10 PM

Anybody try any of the TWRA hunts or WMA hunts this year? How were they?
Old 09-03-2015, 04:09 PM

Beasleys was on fire. 3 of us limited out. I had scouted it Saturday and Sunday and it paid off.