FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 PM
jmull65

Default where to get shad?

does anyone know where to get live shad around columbia ive been looking for a while just not having any luck finding them. or any good bait shops? Thanks!

Last edited by jmull65; 04-11-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmull65 View Post
does anyone know where to get live shad around columbia ive been looking for a while just not having any luck finding them. or any good bait shops? Thanks!
I would think running shallow coves with your sonar would be a great way to find em right now. Saturday I noticed a +6 degree increase from the main channel opposed to the 3-12' flats off of the main channel. I don't know...so I'm just guessing!!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Throw a cast net almost any shallow cove, they are everywhere due to no die off this winter.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Live shad .. <'TK><

No Matter Gizzard, Thread Fin ... etc .. In a Cast Net !!! ... Then you have to have a baitwell that will keep them alive ... If you think this type of bait can be bought at a bait shop for the species of fish you are fishing for ... You may want to change your goals and go for something that is less challenging like Blue gill and Walmart Nightcrawlers ... No entitlements here ... You have to work for what you want !! <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 04-11-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
jmull65

well alright then i think ill just try a cast nest a couple times and see how that goes never done it before but....practice makes perfect!! haha
Old 04-11-2012, 11:46 PM

A lot of times if you can catch them generating, the current will push them up next to a wall and you can use a dip net. If a place like that is available
Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Gen and Dip net <'TK><

Have you ever tried to hold a boat while they were generating near a wall ?? ... Hard to do !! <'TK>< ... Learn to use a a cast net !.. Whatever you are going after .. there are no shortcuts ... Nothing is easy ... <'TK><
Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Have you ever tried to hold a boat while they were generating near a wall ?? ... Hard to do !! <'TK>< ... Learn to use a a cast net !.. Whatever you are going after .. there are no shortcuts ... Nothing is easy ... <'TK><
Not talking about being in a boat... Didn't know I mentioned a boat in that post. I'm talking the walkway and rock banks most dams have. Maybe they are all completely different than cordell hull dam that I had in mind when posting that.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Think about it ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansfan2104 View Post
Not talking about being in a boat... Didn't know I mentioned a boat in that post. I'm talking the walkway and rock banks most dams have. Maybe they are all completely different than cordell hull dam that I had in mind when posting that.
If you are going to catch Shad of any type with a dip net from the bank ... You are going to put them in a bucket from a rocky bank or ramp like Cordell Hull and 99% of the time they are going to die and you are going to use them for cut bait...

The original question was posed "Live Shad from a Bait shop" (even though the type was not mentioned) ... To catch and keep "Live Shad " you are going to Immeditately have to put them in a max Oxy water flow bait tank... (and then good luck on the thread fins ... The gizzards will make it) Don't think anyone will drag (a tank sufficent to house shad) down a rocky bank ... Therefore the assumption is that you are in a boat.... If you want to keep LIVE SHAD .... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 04-12-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Don't think anyone will drag (a tank sufficent to house shad) down a rocky bank ... Therefore the assumption is that you are in a boat.... If you want to keep LIVE SHAD .... <'TK><
Your the one that said " you have to work for what you want "
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 AM

I've had shad die instantly to under a minute, but i guess it depends on the conditions. At any rate they don't keep long. I use the live ones 1st and once they're all dead i cut them up and use them. I mostly fish for catfish.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
well alright then i think ill just try a cast nest a couple times and see how that goes never done it before but....practice makes perfect!! haha
Do like I did, use the dog for a target in the back yard for practice. Keeping them alive is another story. I have tried freezing shad, that doesnt turn out so well, maybe for some cats. But if you keep them just super cold on ice, they will stay fresh at least a couple of days, and most everything will still eat them with gusto. I have fished shad and skipjack this way with good results. I like to use smaller thread fin and alewife on a Walleye crawler rig, still have to keep them changed often to keep them fresh. The skipjack I would keep on ice until fish are located, then send them in and give them some action like fishing a big jig or plug, if not taken on the original fall.

Last edited by StriperFan; 04-12-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: add info
Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Owner and Administrator

Default Live shad .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansfan2104 View Post
Your the one that said " you have to work for what you want "
Yes I did and you have got that right my friend !!! LOL !!! <'TK><
Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:
If you are fishing below dams from shore, be prepared to loose your cast net. It might get hung up on the rocks. I have used piscator rigs to catch shad and skip jacks. I was in a boat; But if you can cast to the right places you can catch them from shore, too. I suggest keeping a rod rigged with the piscator and another for fishing the shad. You can catch a couple shad then fish with them. When you need some fresh shad your ready to catch some more. Here is what a piscator rig looks like. You will need a sinker on the bottom for casting.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...136+4294966969

I hope this will give you another option.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperFan View Post
Do like I did, use the dog for a target in the back yard for practice. Keeping them alive is another story. I have tried freezing shad, that doesnt turn out so well, maybe for some cats. But if you keep them just super cold on ice, they will stay fresh at least a couple of days, and most everything will still eat them with gusto. I have fished shad and skipjack this way with good results. I like to use smaller thread fin and alewife on a Walleye crawler rig, still have to keep them changed often to keep them fresh. The skipjack I would keep on ice until fish are located, then send them in and give them some action like fishing a big jig or plug, if not taken on the original fall.
I learned how to throw one from a little boy in a youtube video. He really simplified it.