FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 12-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default New JDM rod and reel.

This is typically the time of year I buy new gear. I don't need any new gear and it will not help me catch anymore fish. But I love this JDM gear. The reel is a Daiwa Certate 2004CH. The rod is a Major Craft Volkey Super Finesse 6' 8" light action with a solid tip. The last 7 inches or so of the rod is solid. The Japanese are masters of light tackle. The workmanship on the rod is unlike any rod I have ever owned. In the pic of the tips I put it next to the tip of an Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner UL......which is very small diameter....but the tip of the Volkey is half the size! Cant wait to try this out on the water......but the new gear I am getting is for fishing out of the kayak or boat only.....so may be a while. Next week will be getting a Shimano Twin Power reel and another Major Craft Rod in different length and action. I was warned before I bought my first JDM gear that it could get out of hand....LOL. Just like when I played golf and new drivers came out....LOL.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1_20_99-2 Volkey.gif (23.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0927 Volkey tip.jpg (1.07 MB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0925 Certate.jpg (962.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-02-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
Just like when I played golf and new drivers came out....LOL.

Regards
Doesn't golf suck? I gave up fishing for golf, gave up golf for shooting skeet, now I'm back to fishing again.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 AM

Default JDM tackle

Congrats on the new combo. I also have a Major Craft Volkey(casting) rod and for the money they are hard to beat for design and JDM appeal
Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 AM

Talking

Randy,

You need a couple of grandkids.
How is your new kayak going to handle all of those rods and reels?
They sure look awesome.
You and my 20 year old grandson need to get together and compare rods.
I was just with him and he is up to over 60 rod and reels.And he says he uses all of them.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:18 PM

Curious about the stiff tip. I know from rod building forums that an stiff internal splint and/or external over-sleeve will often lead to rod breakage above or below the repair area. I wonder if breakage will be an issue where the solid piece connects to the regular part of the blank.

I do see advantages for bite detections (sensitivity) and possible casting ease (stiff part helps give a little sling at the end of a "lob" cast), especially for ultra UL.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
Curious about the stiff tip. I know from rod building forums that an stiff internal splint and/or external over-sleeve will often lead to rod breakage above or below the repair area. I wonder if breakage will be an issue where the solid piece connects to the regular part of the blank.

I do see advantages for bite detections (sensitivity) and possible casting ease (stiff part helps give a little sling at the end of a "lob" cast), especially for ultra UL.
I thought about that long and hard. I did all my homework and felt confident to make the purchase. Did a lot of reading on British and Australian forums where they use these rods a lot. My research tells me they are a lot tougher than they look. Then when the rod got here I thought "Man this top is tiny, and it will break".....LOL. I took it out today and while I only caught 2 bluegill I was quite impressed. It is rated for 1/64 up to 1/4. That is an amazing range for a rod. I cast the 1/64 Trout Magnet with ease though. Much more fishing will be required to know if I like the rod but it is really different. It is extremely sensitive. I need to go somewhere that a lot of Gills are around...even if they are small ones...to try it out more. May try at Williamsport again tomorrow but the Gills out there may have moved out deep. The Japanese designed these "Ajing" rods.....or solid tip rods...for fish that suck in the lure rather than hit it....so it should prove great for bluegill. Hoping to try it out on trout soon also.

Regards
Old 12-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcintn View Post
Randy,

You need a couple of grandkids.
How is your new kayak going to handle all of those rods and reels?
They sure look awesome.
You and my 20 year old grandson need to get together and compare rods.
I was just with him and he is up to over 60 rod and reels.And he says he uses all of them.
I have eleven rods Ed. Three of them are 12-18 foot crappie rods that I haven't used in years. I have 5 UL rods and two one piece medium light action rods. I very rarely take out more than 2 rods in my kayak. Many times I just take one. I want to replace my one piece rods with 2 piece rods for ease of travel. I will give about 5 rods to my son and grandson. Life is good!

Regards
Old 12-04-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
I thought about that long and hard. ....Much more fishing will be required to know if I like the rod but it is really different. It is extremely sensitive. ,,,,.
Keep me in the loop on long term results. It does have me curious, particular for these guys:

Old 12-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
Keep me in the loop on long term results. It does have me curious, particular for these guys:

I won't be anywhere to catch any perch but I am curious also as to how a crappie bite feels on it.

Regards
Old 12-05-2014, 06:49 PM

Default Nice

Very nice alpha... Let us know about the reel too it looks awesome