FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Someone may have poted this before. I like this rig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F21S...yer_detailpage
Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 AM

Here is a link to the TWRA's clarification on Alabama rigs. Seems even in this thread there is some confusion (at least for me anyways), the article linked below seems to be pretty straightforward.

http://news.tn.gov/node/7994
Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseejugger View Post
For about 5 bucks and a trip to lowes I made my own Tennessee rig, I also made some Alabama Rigs to use in Ala and Ky. Beats $18.00 or $19.00.
Care to elaborate? They look like they would be fairly easy to make, you might not have the fancy painted head and everything, but the concept seems fairly simple.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
I agree on its success but I won't ever fish with it. Just a personal preference.

Here is a video that is a must watch if you are interested in using it. This guy from the Everstart series breaks it down and gives his take be ways to fish it but also warns from taking what anyone says as absolute truth on how to fish it because its so new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWWB3pFYCQg

Great link Travis. I must admit is was a nice piece of filming...opinion....explanation. Enjoyed watching it. Those that know me know that I won't....can't use that. Two # test line couldn't even cast the thing...LOL. Having been laid up and watching nine to 10 hours of fishing shows a day I have seen a lot about this. A lot of these guys are using 65# to 80# test braid. I don't see how you would keep from wearing yourself out with the thing. Having fished the Red Sea and Persian Gulf for over 20 years I can tell you that it is nice to catch stocker trout and bluegill. We would just get cramps from casting one to four ounce baits all night or day. I am sure the BASS guys are going to use this thing wherever it is legal. Years ago I saw a lot of the umbrella rigs used at Pickwick fishing for Stripers. Never did see one of those being used from the bank though. I am sure it might have been done but I was there a lot and I saw them out in the boats..but never from the bank. I have fished two jigs at once when the White Bass run at Pickwick and many times have caught 30 fish in 15 casts. But sometimes it is not any fun. If the two fish are fighting away from each other you sometimes would just be reeling in dead weight. I must admit it is interesting to see how it plays out and also what it says about the behavior of feeding fish.

Regards
Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Tennesseejugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmanjoe View Post
Care to elaborate? They look like they would be fairly easy to make, you might not have the fancy painted head and everything, but the concept seems fairly simple.
Wire is from Marker flags (Lowes) For the head I used JB weld Water Weld putty.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseejugger View Post
Wire is from Marker flags (Lowes) For the head I used JB weld Water Weld putty.
Thanks, I think I will give it a shot, I got one coming in the mail. I may be ordering some bulk. Is the flag wire pretty easy to bend to add the swivels or do I need to get a wire bender? Some of the ones I was looking at you have to add the swivels yourself and they said you would probably need a wire bender.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Tennesseejugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmanjoe View Post
Thanks, I think I will give it a shot, I got one coming in the mail. I may be ordering some bulk. Is the flag wire pretty easy to bend to add the swivels or do I need to get a wire bender? Some of the ones I was looking at you have to add the swivels yourself and they said you would probably need a wire bender.
Yeah they bend fairly easy, I just use needle noes pliers.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 PM

Here is one my homemade version.

Mine is like Tennesseejuggers. Flag wire from lowes plus crimped aluminum ferrules to hold it together.

I have made about a dozen different versions to see what ends up working best. Plus I sent a bunch to friends across the country for Christmas gifts

They are a beast to cast, but heavy striper tackle works fine. No fish for me yet, but I haven't been fishing very much recently.

I had to try it to see what the excitement was all about.

Jim
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 PM

That is nice, Jim. I am hoping to try mine out early this week, I will let you guys know how it goes. I will be on Priest. Anyone know where the shad are at? I normally fish the south end of the lake.