FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 04-07-2012, 02:34 PM

Default New guy on a mission. Clarksville area.

Dont you just hate being the "new guy" ?

Not new to the world of fishing forums just any of the TN ones.

I moved to Clarksville, TN from Grand Rapids, MI last year and was sent to the sand box before I got to do much exploreing. Now that Im set to come home in a few months Im dieing to get back on the water.

Before I left I fished the fishing pier at Paris Landing on LBL a few times with decent sucess catching some bluegills, cats, and largemouths. I went there mostly just to get away from Ft.Campbell and I didnt know where else to go!

I also fished an area called the steam plant. Call me dumb but I dont remember what city it was in. Once I got the tip about the place I pretty much just drove around until I found it. I do remember there was a gas station/bait store right where you turned off the highway and then there was another little party/bait store once you got closer to the area if that helps at all?

Now that Im finally coming back I want to expand my areas. Since the Cumberland flows right outside Clarksville I was wondering if theres any launches worth hitting around there?

I have a 20ft center console flat bottom completly set up for fishing and have plenty of gear so Im good to go there. Ill target just about anything that wants to bite.

Im not afraid to take a drive to hit some water. I guess what Im asking is if anyone can give me any info on some different lakes or river that I might be able to try with boat access?

Back in MI I mainly fished for salmon, steelhead, walleye, pike, bass, and panfish. Being down in TN where it seems most guys are after stripers and cats its pretty new to me, but Im more than willing to put in the work and learn.

Ive been doing some searching and reading around the site. Looks like a good group of guys. Hopefully I can from some of you or even hit the water sometime.

I attached a few pictures for yall to check out.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (107.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 917.jpg (170.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 988.jpg (98.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg boat.jpg (54.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile welcome to the site ... <'TK><

Maxxpro, great to have you as a member and active poster ... There is a world of knowledge on this site from new bass hounds to old Salty's like myself ... Please feel free to ask any questions and I am sure there are folks here who can answer them for ... Welcome aboard ... "AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY" !! <'TK><
Old 04-08-2012, 06:25 PM

Maxxpro - You're too close to Dover and Lake Barkley to spend much time driving. The stretch from Dover to Bumpus Mills is great. Hit every backwater you can find. Right now Barkley should be on fire for spawning and post spawn Largemouth. The Steam Plant you refer to must be in Gallatin. Upstream from Brakley is Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville, fishing is good now and will only get better as the shoreline cane grass and other vegetation starts growing. Welcome to God's Country, thanks for your service. My youngest son is stationed at Campbell also.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxpro View Post
I also fished an area called the steam plant. Call me dumb but I dont remember what city it was in. Once I got the tip about the place I pretty much just drove around until I found it. I do remember there was a gas station/bait store right where you turned off the highway and then there was another little party/bait store once you got closer to the area if that helps at all?
If you went south, southwest from Clarksville then the steam plant was probably Cumberland City. That area harbors some big cats in the winter.

Since you are in Clarksville, I'd fish Barkley closer then Kentucky lake a little further west. Both can be good and both run in cycles. Usually if one is fishing not so great one year the other is really on fire. In the summer time finding shell beds along main river ledges can produce huge catches of bass.

You can alsoe run the Cumberland back all the way thru Cheatham past Nashville to Old Hickory Dam catching lots of smallies with good ones mixed in as well as bass, crappie, catfish, hybrid, white bass and striper.

If you have interest in trout then they have some streams on base that are stocked every year.

Good luck and welcome...
Old 04-08-2012, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the advice gentleman I will take it into consideration. I intend to spend countless hours on my boat making up for lost time.

Ive fished the stocked streams on Ft.Campbell and there all right. Easy fishing since theyll hit just about anything. Nothing like fishing for trout back in MI. Good way to kill a few hours on a slow day.

Ive been searching and reading about different areas to try and have started a list and have also been scouting them out via google earth which is pretty cool.

I was also wondering...Does anyone do any walleye fishing? Back home in MI I fished walleyes all the time. From what Ive been reading there is walleyes and sauger in some of the lakes and rivers but it doesnt sound like too many people target them specifically.