FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 04-28-2015, 12:52 PM

Default Trout Fishing Techniques

I have been reading quite a bit about the S. Holston & Watauga rivers in NE TN for the last few years, and have always wanted to make a trip up and fish either, or both, of them. There seems to be large browns in the area; oh, how I love browns! I love putting miles on the truck and seeing new places.

I grew up in North Idaho, and spent time fishing from rafts in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah with my family; we almost always fished with in-line spinners (Mepps, Panther Martin, rooster tails etc). I have read the regulations over and over again, and they are very specific on creel quantity, but not specific about fishing techniques; are you allowed in-line trident barbed lures like a Mepps or Panther Martins? Do any of you use them? They have always been productive for me.

As my brothers and I grew older, a few of them began taking up fly fishing. I have tried it from time to time, but never fell in love with it as they did. There is just something about having a spinner rod in my hand that adds to the experience. I can't find any information about spinner fishing; mostly fly fishing guides and dry/wet flys that are hitting. Am I the only spinner fisherman out there? I have called some guide services as well, and they scoffed at the question in a round about way.

I have tried TMs, and am very new to them; they don't have them out west. They have been somewhat productive. I plan on trying to master them, and try their merit out west in Montanan waters this summer.

Let me know what y'all think, know, opinions etc on spinner fishing in TN, and suggestions on access points to the Watauga & S. Holston Rivers.

For some reason I feel like fly fisherman think spinners are cheating... but catching fish is catching fish - to each their own IMO.

Thanks,
-Spike

Last edited by IdahoBoy; 04-28-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:28 PM

Unless you are in the National Park or certain other specific areas (Downtown Gatlinburg, others, see the Tennessee Fishing Regulations at http://www.eregulations.com/tennessee/fishing/pageflip/ you can pretty much use whatever lure/bait you want. I don't believe any part of the Holston or Watauga have rules behind the statewide standards for trout. That is not true for smallmouth bass. Reading the guide is your best bet.

Plenty of guys use spinning gear here. You'll hear a lot more posting about bass fishing than trout fishing here typically, but there are many spinning gear trout fishermen, myself included.

As far as public access, see the TWRA map here: http://www.tn.gov/twra/gis/Region4_Waterways.html

That's for Region 4, which includes the Watauga and Holston, there are 4 regions numbered West to East.

Are you planning to kayak fish by any chance?

Good luck

Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBoy View Post
I have been reading quite a bit about the S. Holston & Watauga rivers in NE TN for the last few years, and have always wanted to make a trip up and fish either, or both, of them. There seems to be large browns in the area; oh, how I love browns! I love putting miles on the truck and seeing new places.

I grew up in North Idaho, and spent time fishing from rafts in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah with my family; we almost always fished with in-line spinners (Mepps, Panther Martin, rooster tails etc). I have read the regulations over and over again, and they are very specific on creel quantity, but not specific about fishing techniques; are you allowed in-line trident barbed lures like a Mepps or Panther Martins? Do any of you use them? They have always been productive for me.

As my brothers and I grew older, a few of them began taking up fly fishing. I have tried it from time to time, but never fell in love with it as they did. There is just something about having a spinner rod in my hand that adds to the experience. I can't find any information about spinner fishing; mostly fly fishing guides and dry/wet flys that are hitting. Am I the only spinner fisherman out there? I have called some guide services as well, and they scoffed at the question in a round about way.

I have tried TMs, and am very new to them; they don't have them out west. They have been somewhat productive. I plan on trying to master them, and try their merit out west in Montanan waters this summer.

Let me know what y'all think, know, opinions etc on spinner fishing in TN, and suggestions on access points to the Watauga & S. Holston Rivers.

For some reason I feel like fly fisherman think spinners are cheating... but catching fish is catching fish - to each their own IMO.

Thanks,
-Spike
Old 04-28-2015, 03:02 PM

South Fork Holston River: South Holston Dam
to Hwy. 37 Bridge at Bluff City.
• 16- to 22-inch protected length range on all
trout.
• 7 trout creel limit, only one trout may be
greater than 22 inches.
• Closed to all fishing Nov 1 - Jan 31 in the
following areas:
1. Hickory Tree Bridge upstream to the
confluence with Bottom Creek.
2. Downstream point of Boy’s Island (first
island downstream of Weaver Pike Bridge)
upstream to the top of the first island
above Webb Road Bridge.

Watauga River: Quality Trout Fishing Area
Smallings bridge downstream to CSX railroad
bridges.
• 14-inch minimum length limit.
• 2 trout creel limit.
• Use or possession of any bait is prohibited.
• Trout less than 14 inches may not be in
possession.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:14 PM

Thank you FishBus & Travis for the posts; they help quite a bit.... give more specific information than what I had found previously.

The only illegal fishing would be w/ bait then on the Watauga River. The use of artificial barbed spinners is fine, as well as bait (which I don't use) on the SoHo.

VERY surprising how conservative the fishing techniques / regs are on the rivers for catching, it really catches me off guard how much they allow.

Thank you again for your input! I plan on wading, and possibly floating as well. I have access to a few kayaks, so that is an option.

- Spike

Last edited by IdahoBoy; 04-28-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:19 PM

The Smoky Mtn National Park is one of the very few places that force you into a single hook situation for trout. Some other scattered wild trout streams out east do as well.

Most places with known big walleye runs do also but that is not quite what your looking for.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
The only illegal fishing would be w/ bait then on the Watauga River. - Spike
No not for the river as a whole. This is for the trophy section "Quality Section" of the river. Outside of that area is fair game and general state trout regs.

The Soho just closes off spawning grounds during spawn but that's about it outside of the slot and length requirements.

Last edited by Travis C.; 04-28-2015 at 03:33 PM. Reason: clarified info.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
VERY surprising how conservative the fishing techniques / regs are on the rivers for catching, it really catches me off guard how much they allow.

- Spike
You gotta remember trout down here for the most part are not the same trout as your used to up ID way. Most all these fish minus a few streams/places east are reared in a raceway then trucked to their new homes. Not stream bred and wild. That could be the reason the regs are so different. Its a totally different game.

These aren't Snake, Madison, or Big Horn fish down here. Far eastern TN you find some wild fish and they are definitely "different."

Not knocking our fish so don't take it that way... I am an avid trout fisherman both conventional and with a fly rod. Just facts.

Last edited by Travis C.; 04-28-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:25 PM

Default South Holston

I live close to south holston river but I don't fish it much. There are some monster browns and nice rainbows there... I lived in VA until last year (bristol it's half tn half va so I never paid for the tn license). I enjoy the high mountain streams located in va a lot but anyways back to south holston... Make sure you check the generation schedule... Minnow plugs are productive during generation such as rapala countdowns and td minnows. I have only fished up towards the dam mostly and I've seen browns in the mid 20" range and same for rainbows. There are quite a few people about anywhere you go which is one of the reasons I don't fish it a lot plus the generation thing kind of freaks me out. When I was younger (7 or 8 ish) a man had to be rescued out there because they started generating and he couldn't get to the bank so it always makes me a little uneasy. I hope you catch a bunch if you come this way... Watauga on the other hand I've never fished. Best of luck and happy fishing!
Old 05-01-2015, 09:14 AM

This may help some too Spike, the newest Orvis Podcast is tailored your way. It's fly fishing but good info is good info if you know how to apply across fishing genre's:

Fishing the Tailwaters of Eastern Tennessee with Patrick Fulkrod

Published April 17, 2015
1:07:40
On this week’s podcast Patrick Fulkrod, the 2014 Orvis-Endorsed Guide of the Year, gives us a very full accounting of fly fishing on the east Tennessee tailwaters, specifically the Watauga and South Holston rivers. He spills some of his secrets on hatches, seasons, water levels, and special techniques. In the Fly Box, we have questions on trimming hackle for dry flies, hackles to use on saltwater flies, how to set the hook on downstream fish, what to do on an unfamiliar river, crane fly larvae, how to fish nymphs for cutthroats in over 15 feet of water in a river (my advice—don’t), and finally how you can lose weight and get in better shape by listening to the podcast.

http://www.orvis.com/s/fly-fishing-guide-podcasts/4047
Old 05-01-2015, 10:13 PM

Default Patrick

Patrick is a great guy and very knowledgable fisherman. You can look him up at mountain sports ltd in Bristol. I have talked fishing numerous times with him. Most of the time I'm looking for stuff to tie jigs when I go in there but I'm sure he could put you on some fish.