FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-28-2013, 10:47 PM

Default My newest toy

So. My wife was sick for 3 days and I was bored so I spent a bit too much time in the barter section on Craig's list. I ended up with a pull behind smoker. I have never smoked anything. Tried it out this weekend. Pics attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.75 MB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2184[1].JPG (3.08 MB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2159[1].JPG (2.40 MB, 46 views)

Last edited by Jdkxtreme; 07-28-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile JD ..Great .. !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdkxtreme View Post
So. My wife was sick for 3 days and I was bored so I spent a bit too much time in the barter section on Craig's list. I ended up with a pull behind smoker. I have never smoked anything. Tried it out this weekend. Pics attached
Jeremy, Put JD down to be the smoker man at our next Gathering ... JD ... No excuses !! <'TK><
Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Master Trout Magnet

That's some good looking meat. Man that is a serious trailer under that smoker...LOL.

Regards
Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 AM

I might need to rent that from you when my FFA chapter has out Boston Butt fundraiser in October!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:04 AM

I did chicken on it yesterday. I did not like it. I think I had it too smoky. It was my first time ever smoking anything. I am not opposed to renting it out to people that wont tear it up. I really want a cooker that size instead of a smoker.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Jeremy, Put JD down to be the smoker man at our next Gathering ... JD ... No excuses !! <'TK><

Noted.

Jdk,

The key is to smoke for the 1st qtr and then just low heat 225-250, another tip is consistant temperatures. When we smoke we'll use wood chips for the 1st 2-3hrs and then just low heat, with ribs we will wrap them in aluminum foil after 4hrs of an 8-10hr smoke, and smother the ribs in BBQ sauce before wrapping in foil.

Jeremy
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 AM

I think not using foil was my problem. This was the first time for me. I did not use chips at all since the fire box is big enough for whole pieces. I did not use any wet wood because what I used was this years wood and it seemed smokey enough. I think had I used foil I would have been in heaven.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:11 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile More info <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
Noted.

Jdk,

The key is to smoke for the 1st qtr and then just low heat 225-250, another tip is consistant temperatures. When we smoke we'll use wood chips for the 1st 2-3hrs and then just low heat, with ribs we will wrap them in aluminum foil after 4hrs of an 8-10hr smoke, and smother the ribs in BBQ sauce before wrapping in foil.

Jeremy
Jeremy ... what do you season with or what type of Rub ?? <'TK><
Old 07-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Jeremy ... what do you season with or what type of Rub ?? <'TK><

A little bit of this, a little bit of that.

Sorry, can't give that one up, it's never the same twice, but mostly the same ingredients for the same types of meat. My mom doesn't even have my recipes, I have to come up and grill and smoke for her because I won't give it up, and Sarah has given up trying to watch me to figure it out. I season different meats differently butts, ribs, poultry. I do most chickens and turkey the same, or pretty close.

Jeremy
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM
rookie

Dang man you had me (still do) drooling over that meat!! pretty cool toy indeed!!
Jeremy, I think next gathering we will hog tie you and feed you super hot mexican sauce until you spill the beans on the rubs, spices and marinades!! Lol!!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile What is your mrthod for this <'TK><

Jeremy, Tried your rib method tonight ... I make a pretty good rub and Q-Sause but I did not seal the aluminum foil good enough and a lost most of my sauce ... Good and tender ...had to pick the ribs (half rack) up with a spatula because everything would just fall apart ... grab a bone and a little jerk and all you had was meat ...Laid the bone on the plate ..

Do you use this method for Boston Butts ??? <'TK><
Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Great to hear TK. I do loose some of the sauce in the aluminum foil, and with ribs I'll do a couple wet, and a couple dry when I do them. I wrap both after a few hrs of smoking to keep the moisture in.

Boston Butts I dry rub only, but I make the rub up 36hrs ahead of time and rub it down. Then I wrap the butt in saran wrap and throw it in the fridge until smoking time. I smoke with the fat on top so the juices run over the meat and soak into it. After smoking I let it sit for at least an hour before cutting or pulling it. I then let people add what kind of sauce if any when they serve it.

Jeremy
Old 08-02-2013, 04:08 PM

For butts I seldom wrap, unless my bark gets too dark. Take it to 190 for slicing and 205 for pulling. Once removed from the heat, I do wrap and let rest for at least an hour. Sometimes I will remove from heat and wrap then place in cooler (fill extra space with newspaper or rags) to keep warm till serving time (stays warm for up to 8 hours).