FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Equipment For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Default Want to buy small outboard for a 14ft jon

If anyone hears of a motor in the 4-15hp range please let me know.
I don't really want anything bigger either 2 or 4 stroke doesn't matter.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile 4 HP Johnson 2 stroke <'TK><

Travis, I bought this motor at a swap meet in MO about three weeks ago ... set it on the saw horse for now ... swamped right now with customer motors .. It is late 70's or 80's vintage ... haven't looked ... I may get to it in one to two weeks if interested .... <'TK><
Old 07-17-2012, 11:08 PM

i have a old johnson 5.5 seahorse. pm me if interested.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile other motors ... <'TK><

Travis I also have other older motors that run great ... 15 HP, 18 Hp and a 5.5 ... all use the pressurized fuel tanks , all 50's vintage ... the 5.5 Johnson 1955 /... looks great and older restoration ... The 18 rue is one of the best i have ever had but someone half assed painted the hood ... ... And the 15 is original (15hp rue) ... ... But I thought you wanted something newer and more modern ... <'TK><
Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 AM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys.

Thanks for the offers.

TK, one of the main reasons my thinking on a newer (not new) motor would be a weight difference than the older counter parts. I have no problems with a reliable motor where parts are still around to repair with if need be.

My boat weighs 100-150lb range and is rated for a 20hp with a 15" transom.

With 2 guys, small cooler and their fishing gear, would a 5hp range motor be capable of getting us upstream against the generation on the Caney or should it be heavier?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Caney and a 5 HP <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys.

Thanks for the offers.

TK, one of the main reasons my thinking on a newer (not new) motor would be a weight difference than the older counter parts. I have no problems with a reliable motor where parts are still around to repair with if need be.

My boat weighs 100-150lb range and is rated for a 20hp with a 15" transom.

With 2 guys, small cooler and their fishing gear, would a 5hp range motor be capable of getting us upstream against the generation on the Caney or should it be heavier?
Travis in the early 90's I used a 10 foot coleman crawdad (approx 100 #'s) and a 5 hp Merc (Tohatsu) ... My fishing partner and myself probably weighed in at at around 500 pounds .. plus the millers ... It was strong enough to go against full genration with extra power ... But every boat and motor and load presents a varience ... <'TK><
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Travis in the early 90's I used a 10 foot coleman crawdad (approx 100 #'s) and a 5 hp Merc (Tohatsu) ... My fishing partner and myself probably weighed in at at around 500 pounds .. plus the millers ... It was strong enough to go against full genration with extra power ... But every boat and motor and load presents a varience ... <'TK><
Thanks for the info TK, I seen a video of a guy with a 14ft jon and a 9.9 gamefisher running 20-25mph on a lake. I may be leaning that direction since it would be a little more practical if we took it to a lake.

I had a 14ft jon with a 25 johnson on it...that I got rid of and then had a 16ft big jon with a 50 merc tiller steer and got rid of that too. Either one would probably have worked.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Thanks for the info TK, I seen a video of a guy with a 14ft jon and a 9.9 gamefisher running 20-25mph on a lake. I may be leaning that direction since it would be a little more practical if we took it to a lake.

I had a 14ft jon with a 25 johnson on it...that I got rid of and then had a 16ft big jon with a 50 merc tiller steer and got rid of that too. Either one would probably have worked.
That seems a litttle fast....although a vhull vs a flat bottom is different. My 10hp pushes my 15ft flat bottom 13 mpg.....never checked it with my 5.5 but I would guess 10mph or soo.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:40 AM

I can't verify the speed as it was just a random youtube video. Don't remember my 25hp but the 50hp on my 16ft big jon would run about the same as my 90hp on my fiberglass Sprint speed wise.

Anyways, the brakes were thrown on my motor addition yesterday. Hopefully, it's temporary.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 PM

I have a 25hp '73 evinrude on my '96 grumman 14' deep V. Its pretty heavy and if I have the live well full with 2-5 gal tanks, batteries and all my gear and I carry my camping stuff and too much tackle I run at 19 knots. Its heavy.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 AM

Red face Not trying to hijack the thread

Gentlemen,

I finally sold my 2001 bass Tracker and learned that the saying about the best days of boat ownership are not true. I bought an Old Town Scanoe and want a motor for it. The boat is rated for a 4hp.
I am currently in WI where these small engines are everywhere. What are your thoughts about Johnson, Mercury... Why a new motor over an older motor? How old I'd too old are there years better than others?

I need something soon. When I return to TN I have hopes of running into our friend BD in the month long quest for big gold fish. He has the month. I have 2 weeks.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Owner and Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchingtrout View Post
Gentlemen,

I finally sold my 2001 bass Tracker and learned that the saying about the best days of boat ownership are not true. I bought an Old Town Scanoe and want a motor for it. The boat is rated for a 4hp.
I am currently in WI where these small engines are everywhere. What are your thoughts about Johnson, Mercury... Why a new motor over an older motor? How old I'd too old are there years better than others?

I need something soon. When I return to TN I have hopes of running into our friend BD in the month long quest for big gold fish. He has the month. I have 2 weeks.
Catch, any of the new motors out there are good ... Especially the small ones you are looking for (4 HP) ... The majority of the new small motors are Japanese made ... Tohatsu makes all of the Merc's in that Range and Yamaha makes all of the Merc 4 stroke powerheads from 50 HP up. Suzuki makes a lot of Bombardier products (Johnson, Evinrude). These are all good ... for newer motors ... Stay away from the china built stuff, or air cooled, eska's some of the Sears motors, or any lawnmower based powerhead ...

As far as older motors ... my preference, do to the vast availability of parts would be OMC ... Johnson/Evinrude ... But make sure the used motor you find has a shallow position setting since this would be pertinent for a scanoe application in shallow creeks and streams ... Hopes this helps ... <'TK><
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Catch, any of the new motors out there are good ... Especially the small ones you are looking for (4 HP) ... The majority of the new small motors are Japanese made ... Tohatsu makes all of the Merc's in that Range and Yamaha makes all of the Merc 4 stroke powerheads from 50 HP up. Suzuki makes a lot of Bombardier products (Johnson, Evinrude). These are all good ... for newer motors ... Stay away from the china built stuff, or air cooled, eska's some of the Sears motors, or any lawnmower based powerhead ...

As far as older motors ... my preference, do to the vast availability of parts would be OMC ... Johnson/Evinrude ... But make sure the used motor you find has a shallow position setting since this would be pertinent for a scanoe application in shallow creeks and streams ... Hopes this helps ... <'TK><
Thanks TK. This is very helpful. Being new to this power boating thing I need all of the help I can get.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:58 PM

TK,

What is your take on a '96 Johnson 4hp that has seen the bottom of the lake?
Or one that is Ceased?

I am not a mechanic, but have a feeling that you know where I could drop one off.

These guys in WI seem to want to sell motors that do not work.

Steve
Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Owner and Administrator

Thumbs down seized Outboards <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchingtrout View Post
TK,

What is your take on a '96 Johnson 4hp that has seen the bottom of the lake?
Or one that is Ceased?

I am not a mechanic, but have a feeling that you know where I could drop one off.

These guys in WI seem to want to sell motors that do not work.

Steve
Steve, I have repaired both situations ... A motor that has seen the bottom is very doable if it was removed and oil ran through the cylinders ... If your question above is the same motor, seen the bottom and locked up also ... It May be cheaper to browse Craigslist .... (not saying That I wouldn't look at it and see what is going on with it when I could get to it) But a 96 model has electronic ignition ... We would just have to see ... .. <'TK><