FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 11-13-2017, 03:57 PM

Default Percy Priest Dam - Below

I see on the way to work everyday Percy is spilling pretty consistently and based on lake level, they will be spilling for a while. Does anyone have any experience below the dam? I can't find much info. I am thinking about throwing a silver spoon after work this week. Stripers? Whites? not sure how productive this area can be. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN256 View Post
I see on the way to work everyday Percy is spilling pretty consistently and based on lake level, they will be spilling for a while. Does anyone have any experience below the dam? I can't find much info. I am thinking about throwing a silver spoon after work this week. Stripers? Whites? not sure how productive this area can be. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are many on this forum that can speak to that better than me. I used to bank fish it a lot 7-8 years back. You can catch just about anything you want when those gates are open and the Cumberland is backed up too. Great place to fish.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Sunfish Assassin

Besides later in the year for trout I fish down there from a boat and the bank and do well when they are spilling and generating, throwing bone colored Zara spooks for stripers and hybrids
Old 11-27-2017, 08:33 PM

i like to get up close to the waste gate side and throw big cranks to catch stripe and hybrids use medium diver and hold on
Old 11-27-2017, 10:48 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

I haven't seen any spilling for the last week.
They are still a coupla feet from winter pool.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
I haven't seen any spilling for the last week.
They are still a coupla feet from winter pool.
Is there a way to tell on the TVA app when they are spilling? It's showing they are running a generator now from 5:00-9:00 AM, but I guess spilling is different???
Old 11-28-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hawk View Post
Is there a way to tell on the TVA app when they are spilling? It's showing they are running a generator now from 5:00-9:00 AM, but I guess spilling is different???

Sometimes the app will say "sluicing until further notice" or something along those lines. Other times it can be harder to tell.

(Anyone who knows more about this feel free to chime in / correct me if i'm wrong) ...

It seems like if just the generator is going the flow is 4600. If it is spilling and the generator is going it will be over 4600.

Just spilling is usually 1200 with all 4 gates. Flows less than that but in the 500 range is often with a few gates open.

Tony
Old 12-01-2017, 09:58 AM

as a Bank fishing guy this is one of my go to spots. It very crowded most of the year but thats why I like going during the week and on colder days.

If they are running water, I have had luck with:

Crappie- 1/16th ounce jig heads with electric chicken colored 2" grubs

Whites/small hybrid/yellow bass- brightly colored 2" jigs on 1/8 or 1/16 jig heads(orange work great)

Trout- salmon eggs, powerbait and rooster tails.

Because it get so much pressure it can be testing but if you're willing to study the water and those catching around you it can be fruitful.

When it isn't generating it can be dramatically different and catch almost nothing.

Good luck and post pics