FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 PM
johnwayne

Default Fishing Literature?

Hey folks... Though I consider myself a fairly experienced fisherman, I often find myself striking out on the water. It occurred to me the other day that maybe I should get my head in some books to complement my practice.

Does anyone know of some general, all-purpose fishing books? I'd prefer something with just some general guidance and tips, ideally covering all kinds of fishing, from bass fishing to fly fishing. I thought about maybe this book...

http://www.amazon.com/What-Fish-Dont...7504149&sr=8-1

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Much thanks and tight lines.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 AM

Look up the Hunting and Fishing Library Series. There are several very useful books in the series on a variety of topics, from bass fishing and fishing with live bait, to fly fishing for trout in streams. They even have a very good field guide book to North American game fish.

bd
Old 06-08-2011, 06:47 AM

A different option may be to subscribe to fishing magazines. I've got hundreds of magazines from bassmaster, in-fisherman, north american fishing club, field & stream, outdoor life, florida sportfishing, shallow water angler, american angler, fly tying & fishing, fly fisherman, and a few others. It may seem excessive, but the more knowledge, the better. Plus, tactics used for different species, even saltwater, can work for another.

As far as books, i like the in-fisherman library. They can be species-specific, which is great if you're like me and tend to obsess with a particular species from time to time (righr now it's catfish).

Chris
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Don't forget the internet. Almost all the high profile magazines have a full web based help system. I have printed off tons of articles on various topics around everything from bass to flyfishing. Then, I hole punched and keep them organized in a three ring binded essentially making my own books. I search everything from basic sites to specific ask a pro questions on their web page forums. It is a lot of paper work and hours searching to start but worth it in contrast to finding the perfect book.

I also have an mp3 player with podcasts on it. I will listen to it mowing grass, working on projects, in the car and when ever in the mood. There is bass fishing and fly fishing techniques a plenty on there.

Here are a few I used:

BassResource.com
BassFeed.com (articals & podcasts)
Orvis.com (articles & podcasts)
Askaboutflyfishing.com (podcasts)

I know I probably need to go into some sort of 12 step program.

When you stop learning you stop growing as an angler.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Where you live? I have a stack of Crappie magizines to get rid of. I can meet you if you are close to Murfreesboro.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Default Lunkerville

Ever watch the show "Lunkerville?" It's an NY thing, but very well done. The host, Mike D is sort of a professional amateur, so he's always passing along tips and tricks he's learned. You also get to see him strike out and lose fish.

I used one of his episodes to learn about jig fishing.

You can watch episodes free at Lunkerville.com.

Lastly, I once fished with a guide here in Nashville and I learned a lot just by watch him choose lures for us and chatting with him.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Travis, here are some signs you may have a problem:

Do you lose sleep to fish ?

Do you get cranky if you don't go fishing ?

Does fishing interfere with daily routines ?

Do you spend money you shouldn't to go fishing ?

Do you try to justify fishing to non-fishers ?

Does fishing make you do things others would find strange ?

If you answer "yes" to more than one question, you may have a problem...and welcome to the club!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM

For the best multi-species information, subscribe to In-Fisherman magazine and watch In-Fisherman TV, particularly their "critical concepts" TV series. I am no yankee by any means but these crazy Norfers know how to catch fish and the information they provide is top notch.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
johnwayne

Thanks for the input y'all. I'll definitely check out all of the resources that were suggested.

I like your compilation idea Travis C (and no need for a 12-step program; if fishing is the only thing you're addicted too, I'd say you're living pretty righteous, better than me anyway ha!)

Jaycee-I'm actually living in Missourah for the summer (which is partly why I'm looking for some reading material since I'm WAY outta my comfort zone). I appreciate the offer though.

Best of luck everybody.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 PM

Default If you do most of your fishing locally...

I don't think it gets much better than Jim Duckworth's videos. The man teaching you everything from baits, rods, reels, presentation, to building crappie beds and cooking and cleaning fish. Not the highest quality for definitely the best content for fishing the local lakes. You can get them at local outdoor stores and on his website.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnative View Post

Do you lose sleep to fish ? Regularly

Do you get cranky if you don't go fishing ? Every day

Does fishing interfere with daily routines ? Most certainly, but then again I have a job that allows a lot of time on the water.

Do you spend money you shouldn't to go fishing ? Only occasionally. I had the occasion again this morning

Do you try to justify fishing to non-fishers ? Never justify. I like to bring them along and turn them into a fishing buddy.

Does fishing make you do things others would find strange ? Does walking around in wet shoes count?

If you answer "yes" to more than one question, you may have a problem...and welcome to the club!
It is nice to know we are not alone.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnative View Post

Do you lose sleep to fish ?

Do you get cranky if you don't go fishing ?

Does fishing interfere with daily routines ?

Do you spend money you shouldn't to go fishing ?

Do you try to justify fishing to non-fishers ?

Does fishing make you do things others would find strange ?

LOL...

I would say in order:

Yes, sleep is something that takes up my fishing time.

Yes, my wife would agree.

Yes, daily routines are planned around fishing if time permits.

Yes, I mean no....I mean plead the 5th.

No, they don't understand but could help fund gas in exchange for a tan.

Yes, I get funny looks when go wading for trout in early Feb during snow showers and a stiff breeze.

The only other thing I woud add is:

Do you have as many or more pictures of your fish than your children on your cell phone?

Answer....Yes.

Last edited by Travis C.; 06-11-2011 at 04:30 PM.