FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Default Blue Cat Lake

In reference to the Williamsport lake, BlueCat, is there a ramp where I could launch a canoe?

I have a 16' Coleman and it's awkward to carry/launch so I'd like to be able to get near the water with it to launch.

I'm wanting to head over there next week when it finally warms up some.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
In reference to the Williamsport lake, BlueCat, is there a ramp where I could launch a canoe?

I have a 16' Coleman and it's awkward to carry/launch so I'd like to be able to get near the water with it to launch.

they have ramps at all the lakes. you can launch a small bass boat. When it first opened I launched a 20 bass boat but I did have some trouble lining up on the ramp. good luck
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Master Trout Magnet

All the ramps are good. I see 20 foot bass boats launch all the time. Hope you do good there.

Regards
Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post

You and alpha should team up! Y'all do some traveling for sure!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Blue Cat is on my list of places to try out. I have a 16' Coleman as well i will be putting in.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM

Smile

I hope to get over that way for my first yak float myself as soon as the weather warms some....I know, I am a sissy
Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Bluecat is a fun lake if the hybrids are cooperating, and a great place to take a kayak unless the winds are over 8mph and then a drift chute, drag anchor, stake out pole, or anchor would be needed.

Jeremy
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 AM

Jeremy, Alpha, et. al.,

I'll be new to kayaking this season, and I'll be in a 2-man with one of my kids a lot. What's the best kind of anchor to start with? I imagine I'll be on lakes and calm rivers mostly.

Also, how to appropriately size the anchor...

Thanks,

Billy
Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Jeremy will have much more knowledge than I on that subject. I know it took me 3 different tries with different anchors before I got one to hold me on a lake in a light breeze. This year I will be using a stake out pole.....really looking forward to that.

Regards
Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Default Anchors and stake out poles

Is it as simple as it sounds? Jab it in the lake bottom and tie off?

Better than an anchor because less weight to carry/haul in, less rope required, what else?

Thanks,

Billy
Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Yep, it's that easy unless you are in deep water, or over hard ground. They come in many sizes from 3'-10', and longer. Just find where you want to park jab the stake out pole in the bottom, have a 4'-6' piece of rope tied to the stake out pole and then secure to your vessel. It also works in rivers, you can jab it into a bank wall and tie off to it. A stake out pole can also serve many purposes (push pole, duck decoy retriever or method of personal protection from snakes, geese, and other encounters).

For rivers I use drag anchors that I make. I take logging chain cut it in 3.5' sections and take a bicycle inner tube and slip it over the chain, then double up the chain and secure the two tag ends together. I use a retractable dog leash with a carabineer as my rope.
I also have a grappling anchor I'll use in rivers, but I rig it up differently than most. I tie my rope to the bottom and then zip tie the top, and use electrical tape to wrap the grapples in the non-deployed position so they don't get snagged on anything. If it does get snagged the zip tie should break and then I'm pulling the anchor from the other end (bottom) and the grapples will naturally fold up.

For deeper lakes I use a grappling anchor that weighs 3-5lbs, and a lot of rope.

A drift chute is another option I use on windy days (8 mph+). It still lets me move but very slowly, and I can control it with a paddle stroke or slight rudder adjustment.

These are all my personal preferences, and others have different ways, but these work best for me. One thing I would definitely recommend is an anchor trolley that runs the entire length of your vessel. This allows you to anchor from any part of your vessel from front to rear.

Jeremy
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM

That is some good info MTKA...thanks. The used yak I bought has the anchor trolly but I have none of the anchor option you have mentioned. I would like to get a stakeout pole of about 6'. The drag chain will be a good option if I get into moving water. I will be flyfishing and I don't expect to need a deep water anchor. May I ask it there is a place locally to get a stakeout pole?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM

Another question I have is why to you bring the two ends of the log chain together? I would think that if you leave the chain in full length you could more easily adjust your speed of drift.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Jeremy,
That is great info. I am going to make a stakeout pole for my canoe. It shouldnt be too hard to do.

I could just mount a U-Bolt toward the front end (in case i am in moving water) of the canoe through the rail to slide the pole into to hold the boat.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz1 View Post
That is some good info MTKA...thanks. The used yak I bought has the anchor trolly but I have none of the anchor option you have mentioned. I would like to get a stakeout pole of about 6'. The drag chain will be a good option if I get into moving water. I will be flyfishing and I don't expect to need a deep water anchor. May I ask it there is a place locally to get a stakeout pole?
Hook1 in Hendersonville carries them in various lengths, and at a really good price also. I bought a Stick-It pin which is much more expensive, dosen't float, and not much better for twice the price of the Yak Attack brand that Hook1 carries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz1 View Post
Another question I have is why to you bring the two ends of the log chain together? I would think that if you leave the chain in full length you could more easily adjust your speed of drift.
That's just how I did it to get a double length instead of one long piece that is 5' long. The drad anchor acls acts as a keel to keep you straight and keeps you from spinning in circles. Just leave it dangling under the surface 1' or so and it will keep you facing one direction pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Jeremy,
That is great info. I am going to make a stakeout pole for my canoe. It shouldnt be too hard to do.

I could just mount a U-Bolt toward the front end (in case i am in moving water) of the canoe through the rail to slide the pole into to hold the boat.
I've seen stake out poles made from hiking poles, broom sticks, golf clubs, PVC, and many other materials.

I would go with the anchor trolley from front to rear handle, it may be too much stress on the material of your hull, and start to crack, also with the anchor trolley you could anchor from front to rear without having to move your bodies position. You can build an anchor trolley very cheaply.

Jeremy

Last edited by Reel Tune; 03-29-2013 at 01:15 PM.