FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 07-10-2017, 06:04 PM

Default Is there a big disadvantage of fishing from a back of a boat

Just curious as to everyones opinion on the benefit of being in the front of a boat working the trolling motor compared to sitting in the back?

Been going out with my friend on his boat and sitting in the back it seems I catch less fish than when we take my boat and I'm in the front , maybe its just a coincidence IDK
Old 07-10-2017, 06:43 PM

Sitting in the Back is only a Disadvantage if the guy in the Front is a good fisherman. It's like taking a Good Looking Buddy to a bar as a wingman. He's getting to all the chicks first

Signed,
Wingman
Old 07-10-2017, 07:03 PM

I agree with Adrian. It's especially tough from the back when you are fishing specific targets like flipping. If you are fishing a huge flat or a ledge then I don't think it makes much difference. I will give you some advice. If you are having trouble catching fish behind someone, then I would think about throwing a different profile bait then the other guy. I usually go to something really small and more finesse. If that's what the guy in the front is doing then fo the opposite and go big and aggressive. Hope this helps. And BTW, stay far far far away from Old Hickory. I can't catch hardly any quality fish there right now but I keep going back. I'm not one to give up easily but I'm close.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Sitting in the Back is only a Disadvantage if the guy in the Front is a good fisherman. It's like taking a Good Looking Buddy to a bar as a wingman. He's getting to all the chicks first

Signed,
Wingman
Lol and yes the guy is really good, seriously think he could fish professionally, I have learned so much from him so its like having a personal guide, guess thats the trade off, guess I will learn as much as I can from him and go out by myself when I want to catch fish lol
Old 07-10-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I agree with Adrian. It's especially tough from the back when you are fishing specific targets like flipping. If you are fishing a huge flat or a ledge then I don't think it makes much difference. I will give you some advice. If you are having trouble catching fish behind someone, then I would think about throwing a different profile bait then the other guy. I usually go to something really small and more finesse. If that's what the guy in the front is doing then fo the opposite and go big and aggressive. Hope this helps. And BTW, stay far far far away from Old Hickory. I can't catch hardly any quality fish there right now but I keep going back. I'm not one to give up easily but I'm close.
Thank you, will keep that advice in mind, sounds good

Last time we went to Center Hill he caught about 25 pounds of fish and I caught about 3 pounds , I used to think I was a decent fisherman but my confidence has been shaken lol
Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Just curious as to everyones opinion on the benefit of being in the front of a boat working the trolling motor compared to sitting in the back?

Been going out with my friend on his boat and sitting in the back it seems I catch less fish than when we take my boat and I'm in the front , maybe its just a coincidence IDK
It is a huge disadvantage if both are not fishing same way. When I am in the back of a boat and finesse fishing UL, and the guy in front is chasing largemouth with heavy gear it is miserable for me....and that can be reversed when I am up front in control.

Regards
Old 07-10-2017, 09:47 PM

It matters most when you are targeting scattered single fish vs laying into a school. I ran into it last weekend with a buddy on Ky Lake. We were fishing shallow weeds and brush. He was up front- caught 3 and lost 2 more good fish to my 1 bite. And my bite came while he was changing baits and I could cheat ahead with a cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
It is a huge disadvantage if both are not fishing same way. When I am in the back of a boat and finesse fishing UL, and the guy in front is chasing largemouth with heavy gear it is miserable for me....and that can be reversed when I am up front in control.

Regards
I can see that being a problem, we usually are on the same page whether we are power fishing or finesse fishing
Old 07-11-2017, 07:34 AM

Keep a Shakey Head and Ned Rig bait ready to go. The Ned Rig, in particular, will pick up fish that may have passed on the front seater's presentation.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:29 PM

My brother wears me out from the back of my boat.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Lately I seem to have a disadvantage being in the front of my boat,,,, with no one in the back.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:45 PM

a decent guy in front will alternate the "good looking" spots with a guy in the back. if you are a non boater in a tourney, then not so much.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Keep a Shakey Head and Ned Rig bait ready to go. The Ned Rig, in particular, will pick up fish that may have passed on the front seater's presentation.

Never heard of a ned rig, appreciate the advice, will try it
Old 07-11-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddyyak View Post
Lately I seem to have a disadvantage being in the front of my boat,,,, with no one in the back.

Haha
Old 07-11-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
My brother wears me out from the back of my boat.
Well the consensus is that the guy in the back of the boat is at a disadvantage if the guy in front is a good fisherman lol