FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 03-20-2018, 06:16 PM
Dakota S

Default Battery charging options

I keep my boat in a covered storage area with a locked gate, security camera’s and it’s been a great place. The monthly fee is very reasonable but there is no electricity to charge my batteries. Has anyone used a portable charger thats reliable? Any other options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 06:27 PM
Sunfish Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I keep my boat in a covered storage area with a locked gate, security camera’s and it’s been a great place. The monthly fee is very reasonable but there is no electricity to charge my batteries. Has anyone used a portable charger thats reliable? Any other options?

That's a tough one I've seen many portable Jump starters but not a portable battery charger, that's a bummer though no electricity, how do they think people will be able to charge there boats, a generator? Seems like a lot of hassle.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:38 PM
Dakota S

It’s not a big deal I just bring it home the night before and charge. I live in Mt. Juliet about 20 minutes from the storage facility and have been there 4 years or so. Sometimes I pick it up on the way home from work too. Once in a while it would be nice to charge them at the storage area.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:43 PM

Pull your batteries, place them on a 2x10 PT board, charge them in your garage.
https://www.amazon.com/Guest-2612A-P.../dp/B000NI1BDE
Old 03-20-2018, 06:46 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Here is an option ... <'TK><

Still somewhat of a hassle. You can purchase another battery and charge it at home ... Then purchase a inverter, Fairly inexpensive This converts DC to AC. Take your battery to the storage facility ... Connect inverter to your portable battery and plug you battery charger in to the inverter. Make sure the wattage/amperage if the inverter and your charger are compatible. (as long as your charger requires less than your inverter can put out) . Then take your battery and charger back home and recharge the battery for next time... Like mentioned in a previous post ... Two Batteries in parallel doubles your amperage ... Note: Some batteries that are located in Bass boats can be a real Pain to remove to charge and replace, as you probably know. Here is a 1250 watt unit .. https://theinverterstore.com/product...dc-to-120-vac/ <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 03-20-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:34 PM
Sunfish Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Pull your batteries, place them on a 2x10 PT board, charge them in your garage.
https://www.amazon.com/Guest-2612A-P.../dp/B000NI1BDE
Ouch $347 for a single bank charger go to bass pro they have triple bank on board chargers for $180
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...attery-charger

Last edited by TnCreekMaster; 03-20-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:44 AM

I am not sure how far you drive from boat storage to the lake but I know at least one guy who use to run a Stealth1 on-board DC charger. That system has a towing option for charging the boat batteries while towing the boat on the trailer using the car's charging system. I don't know what the setup would cost but you could call Stealth1 and ask. He is located in Hixson TN.

I understand that you can do the charge while towing using a Trollbridge system too but I don't know anyone who uses that system. Might be just as good but I don't know.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:47 PM
Dakota S

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Dakota S

Default Battery charging options

[QUOTE=huntertn;81768]I am not sure how far you drive from boat storage to the lake but I know at least one guy who use to run a Stealth1 on-board DC charger. That system has a towing option for charging the boat batteries while towing the boat on the trailer using the car's charging system. I don't know what the setup would cost but you could call Stealth1 and ask. He is located in Hixson TN.

I understand that you can do the charge while towing using a Trollbridge system too but I don't know anyone who uses that system. Might be just as good but I don't know.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:42 PM

I use a solar panel on a truck I rarely drive.. it keeps the battery charged and alive..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 05:32 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yeaaaa !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezelteck View Post
I use a solar panel on a truck I rarely drive.. it keeps the battery charged and alive..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
There you go.... Set up a Solar panel out side of the building and run the lead to your boat ... No Hassle ...
Old 03-21-2018, 07:12 PM

I would charge battery before placing into storage, then topping it off before use. I think that would give you longer life.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:26 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Stealth Chargers, Danny.
888-588-4506
$804.00 for complete system
I have the smart charger on my trolling batteries and the cable to go from car to boat to charge on the drive.
I never use the charge on the drive because my batteries are charged by my outboard once the cranking battery is full.
My four stroke 150 Merc runs so quiet I can leave it run and actually forget its back there. And it burns .3 gallon per hour at idle and puts out 13.2 amps while idling.
So if I leave it run for the duration of a guide trip (4-5 hours) the most gas I'll burn is 1.5 gallons. $3.30 for fuel to maintain a full charge on batteries, I can live with that.
BUT! I never have to run the motor to charge batteries because my 36V trolling system will run all day without needing a charge.
And that is why I have the 36V Minnkota TM. It uses less power and has the oomph to pull my big heavy fiberglass, T-Topped ocean rated boat around at 3 MPH. And runs all day.
The folks that know me personally, know I troll on my trips. And the trolling motor does the work, not the outboard engine.
I'll troll at 1.1-1.3 all day long and still have plenty of battery at the end of two trips.
Am I plugging Minnkota? Yep! Best products, best customer service anywhere in the US.
MAGA!