FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-04-2019, 08:04 AM
Fishing Fool

For the bass fishermen and others that enjoy fishing, the BASSMASTER Classic is in Knoxville this year. The expo will have some great deals. I picked up a lot of stuff in 2014 when it was at Guntersville. Also bass pro shops will be having the spring classic sale coming soon and always some good deals there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Of course I didn’t attend any seminars.....I was busy working....LOL. Really spending more time talking with folks such as Merv....Danny.....Terry.....Dakota...and others. I was able to to talk with the event organizer. I had wondered if attendance was up or down since it was in Lebanon now. Surprising to me attendance was way up over Nashville. The boat dealers are wanting more space...vendor request were turned away as all space had been sold. Many vendors were on a standby list in case one vendor dropped out of show....but that did not happen. So in terms of a success I think one would have to say it was a successful show. Trout Magnet knocked it out of the park with sales......with the 5 hours it was open on Sunday being the best ever. I know nothing about any of the other vendors. Jeff Smith...owner of Trout Magnet...and good friend......keeps coming back really as kind of a tradition. I often hear him say “This is my last year” to do the show...yet he still comes. It started out for him over 20 years back to get the Trout Magnet name out there. But now Trout Magnet more or less shows up to renew friendships and acquaintances. That’s pretty much the reason I still go also. It’s not much fun for me sitting on those hard stools and being on that concrete floor.....but I sure enjoy renewing friendships and talking fishing. Hope to see you there next year TK.

Regards
Old 02-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Thanks Randy .. <'TK><

We really appreciate the report and positive information ... I had somethings going this past weekend and couldn't get away... Also I am like you in the respect I can't stand long... and you are right the stools are hard.. Next year I may bring my Wheelie Walker so I can set down ... Again thanks for the update on the EXPO... By the way did you get any Blue Moon Brisket ?? <'TK><
Old 02-04-2019, 12:51 PM

I am not going to apologize for how I felt, but I will apologize for sounding so negative about the show.

I did start my day by going to Blue Moon across the street from the expo. I don't know how they do it, but they have some of the most tender brisket I have ever eaten. Their beans need work though.. I love to cook and I like my beans with,bacon, onion, maple and sorghum.

Granted I went in on a Friday rather then waiting until Saturday, but I decided I didn't want to be fighting with everyone looking for lures and fishing equipment. I came across one particular table (by the large doorway) I was run by a couple little old lady's and they had a very large selection of jigs, spinners. They were very helpful in informing me the right jigs and spinners to fish Center Hill. Apparently one of the lady's live there and has fished it for a long time.

I went to the K9 booth and both so over priced line, but they did take time to answer some of my silly questions about which kind of lines vs top /mid dept fishing vs deep/bottom fishing.

I have to admit, with the new line, I'm casting farther and more accurate my Fishdrops reel (deal I was conned into buying) with a Bill Dance Special rod (i like) ... I'm trying to teach myself how to fish with a baitcaster.

The disappointment part was it appeared some vendors was selling old over stock and felt like they were using the show as a dumping ground. Example; my Garcia I purchased, I thought it was the latest model only to find it was a left over 3rd generation . I'm not dissatisfied with the deal for what I paid, but at the same time I would not have bought it had I known it was a left over discontinued model. I could have purchased a new model Diawa for I paid for this older Garcia.

When I go to a show, I'm looking for new, innovative ideas or the latest product.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
We really appreciate the report and positive information ... I had somethings going this past weekend and couldn't get away... Also I am like you in the respect I can't stand long... and you are right the stools are hard.. Next year I may bring my Wheelie Walker so I can set down ... Again thanks for the update on the EXPO... By the way did you get any Blue Moon Brisket ?? <'TK><
Brisket one day TK and chicken the next. Both meats were superb. I think I told you before that after spending several years in West Texas it would have to be some good brisket here to impress me....it is good.

Regards
Old 02-04-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
I am not going to apologize for how I felt, but I will apologize for sounding so negative about the show.

I did start my day by going to Blue Moon across the street from the expo. I don't know how they do it, but they have some of the most tender brisket I have ever eaten. Their beans need work though.. I love to cook and I like my beans with,bacon, onion, maple and sorghum.

Granted I went in on a Friday rather then waiting until Saturday, but I decided I didn't want to be fighting with everyone looking for lures and fishing equipment. I came across one particular table (by the large doorway) I was run by a couple little old lady's and they had a very large selection of jigs, spinners. They were very helpful in informing me the right jigs and spinners to fish Center Hill. Apparently one of the lady's live there and has fished it for a long time.

I went to the K9 booth and both so over priced line, but they did take time to answer some of my silly questions about which kind of lines vs top /mid dept fishing vs deep/bottom fishing.

I have to admit, with the new line, I'm casting farther and more accurate my Fishdrops reel (deal I was conned into buying) with a Bill Dance Special rod (i like) ... I'm trying to teach myself how to fish with a baitcaster.

The disappointment part was it appeared some vendors was selling old over stock and felt like they were using the show as a dumping ground. Example; my Garcia I purchased, I thought it was the latest model only to find it was a left over 3rd generation . I'm not dissatisfied with the deal for what I paid, but at the same time I would not have bought it had I known it was a left over discontinued model. I could have purchased a new model Diawa for I paid for this older Garcia.

When I go to a show, I'm looking for new, innovative ideas or the latest product.

You don't owe anyone an apology... nor should you give one for someone being obtuse especially.

I love going to the shows just to look around...mostly searching for a good deal somewhere, sometimes they are there. I do miss the old shows downtown where the overflow was well down the corridor up til the early nineties. I believe in time the show will grow, however not without drawing in vendors and making it worth it for those guys to travel. I always liked looking at the new innovative items with boats and accessories...but that seems to have gone now. I would like the show to open earlier... I awake early and had almost a days work in before the show even opened Saturday, seems 8am-10pm would be better hours. Anyway- I drove right through Lebanon going to another job well before 0900. I do miss good ol' fishing shows but I guess I'm reminiscing...I haven't been to a show since around when Nort's closed...just lost the desire since all I hear is that shows are only so-so now days.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:10 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
TK, I stopped at the Blue Moon restaurant across the street and bought 3 jumbos for Robert (owner of Robert's Taxidermy), Nick Malencore, and myself on Friday. They were even better than advertised, thanks for recommending them. It's worth the drive to Lebanon just for the sammich!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:20 AM

That is why I suggested we meet up Saturday of the expo. In any case we could find a date where it would be more agreeable to everyone's schedule.. good eats along with fish stories... what could be better ?
Old 02-05-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
That is why I suggested we meet up Saturday of the expo. In any case we could find a date where it would be more agreeable to everyone's schedule.. good eats along with fish stories... what could be better ?
A meal and stories without Merv in the group.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:43 AM

I liked it. I did not buy anything.

I do really like the K9 line, started using it last summer, great stuff, I have only used it on spinning reels, but it performs and is strong.

I was not impressed with the Vexus boat, heard a lot about it, not to impressed.

I will be in Knoxville, my brother is a Yamaha service tech to the elite, I have never been to see him work, but I am going this year.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:16 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
A meal and stories without Merv in the group.
SAMBOLIE, you just hate having me in a group, stealing the limelight.
You are going to die a bitter old man.....
Hopefully while I'm still young enough to dance on your grave!

How's tomorrow sound?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM

I attended the show on Friday. I have seen better and I have seen worse. Found some good rubber for sauger fishing that I couldn't find in stores. My grandson like it and wanted to buy everything. Army Core of Engineers folks gave me some good tips. I hope it stays and gets bigger.
Chub