FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Mid South Outboards > Tech Tips
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 PM
ALANRAYG2 ALANRAYG2 is offline
Cartoonafish
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia, TN
Posts: 203
Unhappy engine fuel lines.

I have an 1998 Evinrude Vindicator 225. My question is how often should I replace the fuel lines from the tank to the outboard and how often if ever should I replace the fuel lines on the powerhead? I was told the ethanol eats away the inside of the hoses and should be replaced every 4 years or so. The manifold lines are almost impossible to find and the fuel pump to carb lines are $$$. Needless to say the lines are preformed....geez Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2017, 12:53 AM
tkwalker's Avatar
tkwalker tkwalker is offline
Owner and Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lebanon, Tennessee
Posts: 2,320
Smile Mmmmmm .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANRAYG2 View Post
I have an 1998 Evinrude Vindicator 225. My question is how often should I replace the fuel lines from the tank to the outboard and how often if ever should I replace the fuel lines on the powerhead? I was told the ethanol eats away the inside of the hoses and should be replaced every 4 years or so. The manifold lines are almost impossible to find and the fuel pump to carb lines are $$$. Needless to say the lines are preformed....geez Thanks in advance.
Alan, I sent you a PM <'TK><
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Buccaneer Buccaneer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Posts: 495
Default

Replace the fuel tank to motor lines once with EPA approved hoses and never worry about that again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2017, 12:19 AM
tkwalker's Avatar
tkwalker tkwalker is offline
Owner and Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lebanon, Tennessee
Posts: 2,320
Smile Fuel Hose <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Replace the fuel tank to motor lines once with EPA approved hoses and never worry about that again.

Something you need to take in consideration regardless if it is EPA approved or not. Depending on the frequency of use, remember there is a Check valve in the bulb that prevents the fuel from returning to the tank. So the line is trapped with fuel. An example of this is if anyone who has ever felt of a hard bulb that has set up for a length of time and can't be pumped. This is do to that the bulb has lost it's pliability this is because it has trapped fuel in it and it has deteriorated the bulb and hose and this has nothing to do with ethanol .. One way to prevent this is to disconnect the line from the motor, vent the coupling, and pump the fuel out with the bulb, especially if it is not going to be used for a while. Hope this helps. <'TK><
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:03 AM
ALANRAYG2 ALANRAYG2 is offline
Cartoonafish
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia, TN
Posts: 203
Default

Thanks for the info guys. I have a bought a new fuel tank line and bulb and some other lines. I guess I'll install them and not worry to much about the ones I can't find for the engine. I'll be replacing the filter as well. TK Thanks for the PM. I appreciate and respect your opinion. Hopefully I'll be fishing from my boat a lot more. For many years I fished with my fishing partner for a couple decades. We almost always fished from his boat. Last July he left this earth for a better place to fish. Now I am playing catch up on a neglected boat. Thanks Again !!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2017, 07:37 AM
Heiny57's Avatar
Heiny57 Heiny57 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: franklin
Posts: 754
Default

This should be made a sticky with WARNING. I just got hit with liner deterioration. Filters plugged but didn't get past that I can tell. But now I am rebuilding fuel pump as it isn't pushing much.

If you have any doubt you have old line,,,,, get new hose with blue lettering. I bought OEM Merc because I was there getting rebuild kit. It doesn't have a liner to fail.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-14-2017, 10:42 AM
Heiny57's Avatar
Heiny57 Heiny57 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: franklin
Posts: 754
Default

This
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1931.JPG (1.75 MB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 PM
ALANRAYG2 ALANRAYG2 is offline
Cartoonafish
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia, TN
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiny57 View Post
This should be made a sticky with WARNING. I just got hit with liner deterioration. Filters plugged but didn't get past that I can tell. But now I am rebuilding fuel pump as it isn't pushing much.

If you have any doubt you have old line,,,,, get new hose with blue lettering. I bought OEM Merc because I was there getting rebuild kit. It doesn't have a liner to fail.
Thanks, I still haven't replaced any lines. So far everything has been running good. It might be a winter job for me. Hope you get everything cleaned up and running great.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2017, 04:25 PM
Heiny57's Avatar
Heiny57 Heiny57 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: franklin
Posts: 754
Default

My line that failed was the grey line with pump bulb between motor and tank. My lines inside motor are ok I hope, just had to flush.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Site best viewed at 1280X1024
FishingTN.com