FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default Williamsport 4-30-2012

Spent the afternoon fishing Blue Cat Lake. Got onto several beds of Gills. Pulled around 100 out before deciding to come home. As long as I stayed out in a little deeper water from the beds was consistently catching 7 inch fish. Also caught 20 Red Ear. The Red Ear were all small but got a good fight from them. TWRA was shocking there today. They pulled some big Bass up. The lakes are getting heavy with moss....making it hard to fish unless fishing very deep. I don't know the water temps but it is very warm. Saw some Hybrids busting the top in deep water today.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0019.jpg (176.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0021.jpg (99.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0022.jpg (144.9 KB, 78 views)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Tennesseejugger

Looks like you had a good time.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseejugger View Post
Looks like you had a good time.
Yeah had a great time. Love catching those Gills on 2# test line. I love fishing in the kayak but I got to tell you the wind beats the crap out of a Coosa. I used an anchor trolley today and that helped a lot but I need to run it the whole length of the boat. Just got this thing about drilling a hole in a brand new boat....but looks like I am going to have to do it.

Regards
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 PM

Do you ever get sick of catching so many fish all the time?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Do you ever get sick of catching so many fish all the time?
No I don't....and thank God for that. When I had to give up my 28+ years working in the air defense field it pretty much was a kick in the stomach. I had what I considered to be the greatest job in the world. It was exciting....I traveled the world.....fished a lot of the world.....golfed a lot of the world......but nothing beat getting up in the morning and playing with a billion dollar weapon system. I was very fortunate to be one that had a job that I loved. I have always loved to fish. I get up each morning and am just as excited to get to the water as I was the day before. I mean I actually get excited the night before...LOL. I have caught the 150 pound Grouper....50 pound Jacks.....60 pound King Mackerels....... 4 foot long Cobia. We fished waters in the Red Sea and Persian Gulf that the fish had never seen a lure. But I got to tell you...fishing for Gills...Trout.....Smallies with 2# test is just as exciting. Heading to Pickwick in the morning hoping to get some Gill action and Smallies too. Washed the kayak this evening and hate to take it back out it looks so good...LOL...so might fish from the bank.

Regards
Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
I get up each morning and am just as excited to get to the water as I was the day before. I mean I actually get excited the night before...

Regards
You nailed it there Alpha... Once that leaves someone its time to find a new hobby.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
Yeah had a great time. Love catching those Gills on 2# test line. I love fishing in the kayak but I got to tell you the wind beats the crap out of a Coosa. I used an anchor trolley today and that helped a lot but I need to run it the whole length of the boat. Just got this thing about drilling a hole in a brand new boat....but looks like I am going to have to do it.

Regards
Drilling holes isn’t bad. I drilled some big ones yesterday for power plug, mounted some Mighty Mounts for Camera's, or rod holders what ever I want to put on there. Redone my anchor trolley and patched 3 holes I had previously made.

Alpha, you know the meaning of fishing, and what it is about. It's not about the trophy fish, it's about the simple things. Although I'm getting prepped for our bi-annual Florida trip, not tournaments this year while in Florida just 10-12hrs a day/night on the water in a 16' piece of plastic paddling in 80' of water along side a 300lb Bull Shark.

Jeremy
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Tennesseejugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
Drilling holes isn’t bad. I drilled some big ones yesterday for power plug, mounted some Mighty Mounts for Camera's, or rod holders what ever I want to put on there. Redone my anchor trolley and patched 3 holes I had previously made.

Alpha, you know the meaning of fishing, and what it is about. It's not about the trophy fish, it's about the simple things. Although I'm getting prepped for our bi-annual Florida trip, not tournaments this year while in Florida just 10-12hrs a day/night on the water in a 16' piece of plastic paddling in 80' of water along side a 300lb Bull Shark.

Jeremy
Heading to Panacea Fl. on the 25th for some reds, spec trout, spanish macs, sheephead and bull shark.
I go there twice a year and stay in a cabin at the Shell Island Fish Camp in St.Marks, Fl. The cabins are two rooms with two beds in each room, full kitchen, front porch for $78.00 per night! You can rent 24 foot center console to fish the gulf or the flats.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Quote:
Heading to Panacea Fl. on the 25th for some reds, spec trout, spanish macs, sheephead and bull shark.
I go there twice a year and stay in a cabin at the Shell Island Fish Camp in St.Marks, Fl. The cabins are two rooms with two beds in each room, full kitchen, front porch for $78.00 per night! You can rent 24 foot center console to fish the gulf or the flats.
Sounds like fun, good luck, have fun and take lots of pics. I lived in Florida for 4 years and fished from a 17' Polar Craft, sometimes I think "why did I move". Then spring, rolls around here in Tennessee, and I know why.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Tennesseejugger

Quote:
Sounds like fun, good luck, have fun and take lots of pics. I lived in Florida for 4 years and fished from a 17' Polar Craft, sometimes I think "why did I move". Then spring, rolls around here in Tennessee, and I know why.
I am originally from South Fl. Moved to Tn. after I graduated from High School in 1977. I miss the Ocean!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
You can rent 24 foot center console to fish the gulf or the flats.
You don't need that big of a boat. My great uncle and two of his buddies would regularly fish the gulf out of Tampa in a 14ft flat bottom jon with a 42 in beam......a few cases of beer may have been involved as well.

I will be near Dayton next weekend for 7-10 days. Debating on taking a rod but know nothing of the area.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Tennesseejugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
You don't need that big of a boat. My great uncle and two of his buddies would regularly fish the gulf out of Tampa in a 14ft flat bottom jon with a 42 in beam......a few cases of beer may have been involved as well.

I will be near Dayton next weekend for 7-10 days. Debating on taking a rod but know nothing of the area.
We do need that big of a boat, there are 6 of us going. We have been going down there for 5 years now. So this is not our first rodeo! Not to mention that I was raised on the Ocean, My father had a 30 foot cabin cruiser and we would troll for Mahi Mahi in the Gulf Stream off the coast of Miami!

Last edited by Tennesseejugger; 05-01-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:

Jeremy

Yeah I am going to drill the holes. Going to get this thing setup....sooner or later....LOL. Yeah fishing is not always about catching fish. Took the kayak to Nickajack a couple of weeks ago and must have covered that whole bay where the cave is. Didn't catch anything...but had a great time. Paddled out to a tower that had an Osprey nest....it had babies in it. Pretty neat.....but mom and dad were getting a bit anxious so I moved on.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I have in-laws that live on Longboat Key near Sarasota. I looove flats fishing down there. Heading there on the 25th for 3 days to experience one day of Tarpon fishing (first time) and 2 days chasing snook and reds out of a kayak! We will all have to post pics of our florida trips!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Tennesseejugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfisher View Post
I have in-laws that live on Longboat Key near Sarasota. I looove flats fishing down there. Heading there on the 25th for 3 days to experience one day of Tarpon fishing (first time) and 2 days chasing snook and reds out of a kayak! We will all have to post pics of our florida trips!
Yeah there is nothing better than watching a big ole Red fish come thrashes out of the marsh while you are fighting him