FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Default Buffalo or Duck River?

Hey all! I just moved to Nashville and am looking for opinions as to which of these two rivers are better for smallmouth. I'm looking to take an all day float with a to-be-determined livery on Saturday (recommendations greatly appreciated). I'd like to float the Caney Fork but it looks like they've been discharging too much water during the day to make that trip worthwhile?

As for a report I fished the old hickory dam/old hickory lake park area on Tuesday and only got bit once by a small largemouth. There was massive amounts of shad flipping on the surface on the shallow flat but nothing seemed to be pushing them. The consolation price was a few skipjack below the dam as I can't find feeding bass to save my life!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM

You should check out the Harpeth river on the west side of Nashville. It holds some great smallmouth fishing.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
nutz455

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickngar21 View Post
You should check out the Harpeth river on the west side of Nashville. It holds some great smallmouth fishing.
Any particular areas, or points of access? I live over in West Nashville and haven't fished since my grandpa died about 20 yrs ago, but I'm getting back into it big time this summer and am looking for decent places to bank fish. Unfortunately I do not have a boat of any kind.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 AM
jmull65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWalker View Post
Hey all! I just moved to Nashville and am looking for opinions as to which of these two rivers are better for smallmouth. I'm looking to take an all day float with a to-be-determined livery on Saturday (recommendations greatly appreciated). I'd like to float the Caney Fork but it looks like they've been discharging too much water during the day to make that trip worthwhile?

As for a report I fished the old hickory dam/old hickory lake park area on Tuesday and only got bit once by a small largemouth. There was massive amounts of shad flipping on the surface on the shallow flat but nothing seemed to be pushing them. The consolation price was a few skipjack below the dam as I can't find feeding bass to save my life!

well i have tried the duck river in chapel hill and have not had much luck with catching anything other than fish i didnt want to have on the end of my pole haha. but theres always other places to fish i just havent found the right spot yet or have i tried the buffalo river.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:21 AM
jmull65

well depends on which part of the duck river you want to go to i went out to chapelhill on the duck and didnt catch nothing but a small carp which i dont want.