FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 09-07-2016, 09:29 PM

Default Pro Tec Powder Paint

I picked up 2 jars of this stuff to get my sauger jigs going. This stuff is sweet! it puts a really nice thick coating on and its evenly dispersed on the jig. Says to bake em in a 350 degree oven for 10-20 minutes after initial coating to really lock it onto the jig. Glossy finish too so i wont bother with a clear coat.
Picked up some more fur too so im on my way to filets!
COME ON COLD WEATHER!!!!!
Old 09-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Fishing Fool

I don't want to rush life away, but I'm ready for some cooler weather and even winter time fishing!! I'm sooooooo sick of the yachts and the massive waves!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Fishing Fool

Oh, we need pics of these super secret jigs!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 04:24 AM

I'm just plain sick of this heat!

Mike

Mike
Old 09-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Lets see some of those jigs.

It's cooler here in Florida than it has been in Nashville this past week.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:52 AM

I see whats going on here....you guys just want the super secret colors! lmao.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 AM

After several years of trying different schemes and patters and materials, i have narrowed my selection down to 3 very effective, yet detailed color patterns and materials. these colors show up best in the average water color of the cumberland. its not the individual colors alone that work, but its the combination of the different colors put together that makes them so very effective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Super Secret Cumberland River Colors.jpg (164.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
After several years of trying different schemes and patters and materials, i have narrowed my selection down to 3 very effective, yet detailed color patterns and materials. these colors show up best in the average water color of the cumberland. its not the individual colors alone that work, but its the combination of the different colors put together that makes them so very effective.

Hahahaha! Well played!

Mike

Mike
Old 09-08-2016, 09:45 AM

LMAO! i will get some pictures posted tonight. I got some different fur last night so im gonna try that out and see how it looks.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:40 PM

I have heard that Harbor Freight/Northern Tool will often have white to undercoat very cheap. Also clear to mix down with pro-tec to stretch it even further.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:39 PM

So i need to reach out to the fly guys for some assistance.
The thread i got is for "tying flies" which is waxed, but its just too thin. I get 3-4 wraps around the jig and it breaks. I bought the cheapest bobbin for "fine" thread and the tension is loose. My question is, what diameter, or material or whatever do i need to buy to prevent the constant breaking? I thought about just getting some thin braid but it would be hard to manuever the big spool on the vise.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:34 AM

They make a "kevlar" thread for bucktails which is supposedly much stronger. Also the denier (i.e. strength) of thread can vary, look for a higher denier. I've never used the waxed stuff.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
They make a "kevlar" thread for bucktails which is supposedly much stronger. Also the denier (i.e. strength) of thread can vary, look for a higher denier. I've never used the waxed stuff.
Cool! i did see the denier at BPS. i will get me a spool of that.
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:51 PM

Here are a few rough drafts of my best personal colors Still playing with fur amount, positioning and length. All my heads will be either blaze, chartruse or primed white. fishing 25-30' and deeper the color doesnt matter anyways. Yes nocturnal/low light fish can see better than humans, but the lack of light doesnt allow them marble eyes to work thier voo doo. Simple and cheap colors and patterns. if i fished clearer waters, i would change the colors to include some blacks and blues. i like the white material, i still dont like any of my chartruse material. i like the idea of the free floating, wavy look of the chartruse, but thinking practically, when that jig is down 35' in stained water, moving up and down and along the river at 3-5mph, they dont have the time to think "hey, that tail isnt waving very naturally, im not gonna eat it." they either see it and eat it, or see it and let it go by. And when the current is slow, im not yanking on a 1oz jig anyways.
in the stained water, i like the bulk of the white dressing. in my experience, saugers like bulky baits, not necessarily long baits in the winter. so that white material is nice and puffy. i just need to fine tune the chartruse material.
But anyways, no B.S. these 2 colors put ALL my saugers in the boat while jigging the past 5 years. Nothing special are they? LOL ive tried orange on orange, pink on pink, red on chartruse, and on and on and on. if youve seen it in a store, ive tried it. These are my personal go to colors on jigs.
As i paint more and tie a few different fur patterns i will post them in case anybody is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160908_220247.jpg (2.04 MB, 16 views)
Old 09-09-2016, 03:57 PM

Do you put stinger hooks on these jigs?

I always use 210 denier on my jigs. Yes the thread will break if too much tension is put on it.

I have been told, some use braid to tie their jigs. I've been meaning to try it.

The jigs look good..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk