FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 11-28-2019, 07:08 PM

Default Thanksgiving at the Hill

I haven't missed a day fishing on Thanksgiving or Christmas in the last 5 years. I went to Center Hill today and had a blast. I had the smallmouth and spots figured out pretty good. I had to leave early because I got called into work or I may have had one of my best days in a while. I never caught a largemouth and I never caught a fish in less than 15 feet of water. Very steep points and banks leading into pockets was the key for me. I also caught a few on deep flats on the edge of really deep water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1319.JPG (1.46 MB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1320.JPG (898.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1321.JPG (1.07 MB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1322.JPG (1,006.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1323.JPG (1.11 MB, 73 views)
Old 11-29-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I haven't missed a day fishing on Thanksgiving or Christmas in the last 5 years. I went to Center Hill today and had a blast. I had the smallmouth and spots figured out pretty good. I had to leave early because I got called into work or I may have had one of my best days in a while. I never caught a largemouth and I never caught a fish in less than 15 feet of water. Very steep points and banks leading into pockets was the key for me. I also caught a few on deep flats on the edge of really deep water.
Those spots are impressive , not bad smallies either

What was you throwing?
Old 11-29-2019, 10:20 PM

Yea those stupid pictures cost me $20. Lol. My two biggest spots both weighed 3lbs 3ounces each. I caught a few smallmouth and ended up having 2 over the 18" size limit. My buddy was giving me a hard time about posting 2 pictures of the same fish. I told him that they were 2 different fish and he bet me $20 that they were the same. Knowing that they were different; I accepted his bet. Well he was right. I had taken a couple different pictures because at least for me it's kinda hard to take a decent selfie with a fish and I had actually posted the same fish 2x. Anyway I caught most of my fish on a Texas rigged rage bug with a 1/2 ounce tungsten sinker and I caught a few fish on a 3/4 ounce biffle hardhead swinging football head with a biffle bug on it.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Yea those stupid pictures cost me $20. Lol. My two biggest spots both weighed 3lbs 3ounces each. I caught a few smallmouth and ended up having 2 over the 18" size limit. My buddy was giving me a hard time about posting 2 pictures of the same fish. I told him that they were 2 different fish and he bet me $20 that they were the same. Knowing that they were different; I accepted his bet. Well he was right. I had taken a couple different pictures because at least for me it's kinda hard to take a decent selfie with a fish and I had actually posted the same fish 2x. Anyway I caught most of my fish on a Texas rigged rage bug with a 1/2 ounce tungsten sinker and I caught a few fish on a 3/4 ounce biffle hardhead swinging football head with a biffle bug on it.
Lol, you should pay him in pennies
Old 12-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Lol, you should pay him in pennies
Put the pennies in a jar of honey or syrup.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 PM

Just wondering if yall ever use any red or crawfish colored rat-l-traps or similar bait (maybe even a chatterbait) while paralleling the deep bluffs/banks?
Old 12-06-2019, 02:49 AM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansfan2104 View Post
Just wondering if yall ever use any red or crawfish colored rat-l-traps or similar bait (maybe even a chatterbait) while paralleling the deep bluffs/banks?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansfan2104 View Post
I don't but I should. It's so hard for me not to throw a spinnerbait in that situation that I never throw a trap. Really the only time I throw a trap is when the fish first move up super shallow in the pre-spawn which for me is usually mid February to mid March. I don't throw a lipless crankbait near enough. But it's one of my go to baits early spring that I don't talk about to much. Those big prespawn females love to eat that thing
Old 12-07-2019, 05:50 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
I don't but I should. It's so hard for me not to throw a spinnerbait in that situation that I never throw a trap. Really the only time I throw a trap is when the fish first move up super shallow in the pre-spawn which for me is usually mid February to mid March. I don't throw a lipless crankbait near enough. But it's one of my go to baits early spring that I don't talk about to much. Those big prespawn females love to eat that thing

I throw them year round. During the summer the bite is a lot slower. Fall-winter and early spring, it’s on the deck. I use different off the wall colors that they don’t see and it tends to work in my favor sometimes. Also, look on YouTube for Scott Martin fishing hacks. He has a really good tip for lipless cranks.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Fishing Fool

You’re welcome 😊

https://youtu.be/YHRzLu_ytQ4

Old 12-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
You’re welcome 😊

https://youtu.be/YHRzLu_ytQ4

Do you rig all of yours with the line through or just the 3/4 size? what are your go to brands?

I just started focusing on lipless this past spring and have caught a lot of fish on them, mostly chrome colors around bass feeding on shad schools and even caught some stripers on them , this fall when I was struggling to catch bass I tried a crawl color in the grass and for some reason it worked , so much for match the hatch

I literally have over $200 in lipless, just about every color and several brands, my favorite so far is the YoZuri rattlin vibe , just seems to get more bites than the Red Eye shad or original trap , also done well with the Booyah one knocker
Old 12-08-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
I throw them year round. During the summer the bite is a lot slower. Fall-winter and early spring, it’s on the deck. I use different off the wall colors that they don’t see and it tends to work in my favor sometimes. Also, look on YouTube for Scott Martin fishing hacks. He has a really good tip for lipless cranks.

I watched that video the other day. It's a pretty neat idea. I just wonder if the hook will stay in place and not fold up the side of the crankbait
Old 12-08-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I watched that video the other day. It's a pretty neat idea. I just wonder if the hook will stay in place and not fold up the side of the crankbait
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxw6oIO5hk

Jenko makes a line through lipless
Old 12-10-2019, 11:49 PM

Good Video!!
Old 12-11-2019, 11:55 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxw6oIO5hk

Jenko makes a line through lipless

That’s interesting. But I’m not gonna run out and a bunch when I have a box full and can do the trick Scott has out. Honestly doubt I do what he did unless I lose a few fish in one day.