FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 08-20-2018, 07:29 PM
Fishing Fool

Default Offshore fishing is strange

We’ve been trying our damndest to get our offshore game strong. Learning the electronics, marking what we think are bass and then turning around and catching them. Marking “fish” is not the problem. The problem is the bass not cooperating. Lol. Again this week, no largemouth to weigh in. We caught almost every species in the lake but largies. I caught two white bass and a big drum on a 6” spoon, and a sauger, again, on a 6xd. Deezltek caught a bunch of 15-16” smallmouth off of bluffs and a drum. I’m off this Friday and I’m dead set on getting up early and fishing every depth range till I find good green fish. And for the non believers about the sauger on a big crank, here ya go. This is two weeks in a row in the same area. Anyone wanna go sauger fishing???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2018, 11:13 PM

Look on the bright side. With all of that scanning you are finding a lot of structure and learning the lake. That will pay off at some point. My advice would be to go to another lake. It will give you a fresh start and some new surroundings. That's usually what I do when I feel lost. Sometimes lakes just fish really really tough this time of year. Look at the results of the Forest Wood Cup just a couple weeks ago. 36lbs for 3 days won and 29lbs was 2nd.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:39 PM

I would love to catch a mess of sauger. Better than eating large mouth. How deep are the saiger
Old 08-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
Look on the bright side. With all of that scanning you are finding a lot of structure and learning the lake. That will pay off at some point. My advice would be to go to another lake. It will give you a fresh start and some new surroundings. That's usually what I do when I feel lost. Sometimes lakes just fish really really tough this time of year. Look at the results of the Forest Wood Cup just a couple weeks ago. 36lbs for 3 days won and 29lbs was 2nd.

I like your positivity. Lol. Ask deezltek, I try to stay positive and am always looking for the best in the worst of days. I don’t have the luxury of going to a new lake right now, gonna have to stick with old hickory and figure this bitch of a lake out. Others have it nailed. Gonna put in as much time as I can and put the nose to the grind stone.

Sauger have been around 10-14’. I know a spot where they live, second week in a row I’ve caught one in the same area.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
I like your positivity. Lol. Ask deezltek, I try to stay positive and am always looking for the best in the worst of days. I don’t have the luxury of going to a new lake right now, gonna have to stick with old hickory and figure this bitch of a lake out. Others have it nailed. Gonna put in as much time as I can and put the nose to the grind stone.

Sauger have been around 10-14’. I know a spot where they live, second week in a row I’ve caught one in the same area.

Skillet, I am usually positive. Positive that they will not bite. At least it has been that way for over a month.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Skillet, I am usually positive. Positive that they will not bite. At least it has been that way for over a month.
To add to the above.
Had a friend invite me to fish Monday. It wasn't Merv although I still call him my friend.
I picked up shiners from Starkey's and we met at Cleace's Ferry ramp. Ran upstream where we usually catch smallies. Caught a few on the shiners and I switched to a Ned bait. Caught several and then moved on up to Bordeaux.
We caught at least 50 smallies. At least 70% caught on artificials.
Rain started and we ran for the ramp. Sure felt good to get on the water and finally catch fish even if we did not get any big ones.

Except the monster that I lost at the boat.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:25 PM

Sambolie.
Could you please give a little insight to how you fish in that current. I have been down for 6 weeks no fishing. Got out today and went from below dam down to past stones river. Only one spot and son lost 3 lber largemouth at boat on crankbait. First time going but fishing in that current is something I will have to learn.
Looked at water release and Monday was bout same as today. Sure was nice to finally get back out even without doing any good.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystratos View Post
Sambolie.
Could you please give a little insight to how you fish in that current. I have been down for 6 weeks no fishing. Got out today and went from below dam down to past stones river. Only one spot and son lost 3 lber largemouth at boat on crankbait. First time going but fishing in that current is something I will have to learn.
Looked at water release and Monday was bout same as today. Sure was nice to finally get back out even without doing any good.
Glad to hear that you are back in action.
We were fortunate. OH was showing 2 generators running. I do not fish the river enough to know how much current that pushes where we fished. We hardly noticed any current until we reached the Briley PW bridge. My friend has a trolling motor that will lock in on a location and that really helped. There was a little more current above the Clarksville Hwy. bridge. The wind was blowing strong enough up stream to allow us to drift down at a very good speed for fishing. Trolling motor was used very little.
I was using 1/10 Ned bait head casting almost on shore then dragging out slowly and then letting it sink. Fish on slack line as much as possible. Fish were not biting aggressively. Almost like fishing the original Slider worm. As you take up slack you feel like you are dragging through grass. Just reel faster and set the hook. It is not necessary to try and break their jaw on the hook set.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:29 PM

Thank you. I hope to get back down there this fall. Seems everyone likes October to march
Old 08-22-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I hope to get back down there this fall. Seems everyone likes October to march
Forgot to mention. We used and usually use spinning tackle and 6 lb line. Forget the testarone and 90 lb braid and it is more fun.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:26 PM

Luckystratos, another great lure option on the Cumberland in the current is a spinnerbait. It will catch the crap out of spots on that river. I've only fished tge Cumberland a few times and it's always been from the dam to the Stones and up in the Stones a little ways. I have had great success throwing a spinnerbait up behind anything blocking current. Anything like a big rock or trees and tree limbs in the water. I don't think I ever caught one over 14 inches but it was a lot of fun.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:41 PM
Fishing Fool

Two gens is usually anywhere from 12000cfs to 20,000. I don’t fish in any higher in my boat. Gets too swift. I almost exclusively use craw imitators but maybe that’s why I haven’t done well down there recently.

I’m off Friday from both jobs and I’m gonna try my damndest to put some fish in the boat and get a grasp of what is going on.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:43 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Sambolie.

Glad to hear you’re up and moving. At least you got to dangle!! Lol

Old 08-31-2018, 08:21 AM

2 or more means more than one, you have no idea how many that is. Each generator is around 6000CFS from what I can tell below OH. I wish you could get a real generator forecast for the Cumberland. I don't fish the river a lot, and less for this reason.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:05 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAddict View Post
2 or more means more than one, you have no idea how many that is. Each generator is around 6000CFS from what I can tell below OH. I wish you could get a real generator forecast for the Cumberland. I don't fish the river a lot, and less for this reason.

Yes, I’m well aware that two or more is more than one....don’t know what kind of idiot you think I am but I ain’t that damn low.