FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 PM

Default Kayak extra clothes advice

I want to carry along in the kayak dry clothes in case I fall into the water. This would simply carry a change of dry clothes. What kind of bag and what size?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:45 PM

Check these out. I use them for backpacking as well as keeping a change of clothes in the boat. They are breathable so you can force all the air out as you compress them but they are 100% waterproof.

http://www.rei.com/product/730882/se...ssion-dry-sack
Old 02-06-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatNFish View Post
Check these out. I use them for backpacking as well as keeping a change of clothes in the boat. They are breathable so you can force all the air out as you compress them but they are 100% waterproof.

http://www.rei.com/product/730882/se...ssion-dry-sack
What size
Old 02-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Fishing TN Staff

I use this 30 liter bag for winter clothes. This gives me enough room for a base layer, towel, and an outer layer, using only synthetic clothing, no cotton.

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/products/hook1-drytank
Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Both those bags are good. Glad you are starting out the right way. It took me a dunk in the Caney Fork River in the month of December about 8 years back to see the light. Had to walk out in wet clothes...cold air...and it was a miserable experience and one I never forgot. You go over in winter it is one heck of shock. Since that day always had dry bag with clothes, towels, even shoes with me...even in summer.

Regards
Old 02-14-2016, 10:53 PM

I would use the 2 gallon size ziploc bag and pack each piece of clothing seperately and compress them. you can pack more efficiently that way
Old 02-15-2016, 03:05 PM

Those dry bags are great, I use them anytime I'm paddling, warm or cold weather, and they also work great for camping in bear country if you need to hang your edibles up in the tree. In emergency situation they can also have the opposite effect and store water if you need to carry some. Typically, I try to keep water on the outside of the bag.

I like to clip it to a boat handle or leave a little air inside incase it falls in the water.

A good friend of mine uses those huge cans of powdered protein mix. Once empty you can fit keys, clothes, wallet, phone, and so on, and they always float. People always ask why in the hell he brought his protein powder out on the water though.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:16 PM

If your wife has a vacuum sealer, you can get them to compress a great deal, and dry when you break them out, though I'd still rather wear my semi-dry suit and not get wet to begin with.