FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 01-21-2015, 04:33 PM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up New Video, New Season, Steam Plant Stripers 29 Pounder !

Check out this video link below of Merv and I catching Striper at the Steam Plant, I hope you like it! Please be sure to comment on here or the video itself with your feedback thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0447Nrdk-E
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merv me stripers.jpg (365.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-22-2015, 12:24 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Looks like you guys had a pretty good day
Old 01-22-2015, 09:10 AM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "MidTNKayakAngler"

It was a lot of fun out there, no doubt. But FREEZZING to say the least, temp was 7 oF when we got off the water!
Thanks MidTNKayakAngler,
Old 01-22-2015, 09:39 AM

You need to take that Gaff and throw it in the lake. There is absolutely no reason to Gaff a striper or any other fish that is going to be released. Get some respect for OUR trophy fish!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowell View Post
You need to take that Gaff and throw it in the lake. There is absolutely no reason to Gaff a striper or any other fish that is going to be released. Get some respect for OUR trophy fish!

I think that's the actual hook he was using with that 200lb braid and What it I told you he ate it later that night???
Old 01-22-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
What if he wants to eat it?

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post

Trophy fish are delicious, so much more meat on them
Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 PM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "DPowell"

Quote:
I understand your concern for the Stripers that are released... I will have you know that it always is and was "our" last intention on any harm to this fishery. Hints one of the main reasons I make the videos is to promote "respect" fisheries not damage them. As most of the time we use nets, weather we are keeping them or releasing them in this I can speak for Merv and me, as I know we both do this.
Thanks for your concern, all the best..
Old 01-22-2015, 02:36 PM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "Juice"

I do agree with you though, big or small they all taste fantastic!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:43 PM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "Jad2t"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
Good point, yes even if I'm going to eat it most of the time I net either way it goes. Furthermore, if your keeping it to eat you can gaff it, net it, flip it on deck, Just get it in the cooler!
PS. That Striper kept from that day was Delicious!
All the best,
Old 01-22-2015, 02:48 PM

See, DPowell, it was eaten so there is nothing wrong with using a gaff.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 01-22-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltySportsmanTV View Post
PS. That Striper kept from that day was Delicious!
All the best,

Good lord.... now the population is going to crash. Striper extinction event!!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:21 PM
SaltySportsmanTV

Exclamation "jad2t"Juice"DPowel"

Goodness... lol that Striper that was gaffed "in the mouth" yes was released, however we do net 99.9 percent of the time.
Not trying to redirect blame or not take ownership for what I did but....
Just curious how about six treble hooks threw the side of the face of a Striper, or any fish for that matter not great for the fish right, but many do it and release them daily.
I can be honest and say gaffing a fish in the mouth is far less damage than most do on a daily basis with these Striper.
Should I have used a net 100% of the time while releasing is in mind, yes probably so, do I believe that I damaged the fishes livelihood, no.
Furthermore, I did keep one that day to eat.. and they are fantastic blackened grilled.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:47 PM

Can most of you all not read? I said in my comments "released fish". If your going to release a fish you should do everything possible to insure its survival and that goes for all fish. Even to the point if you have to use a net, use a rubber coated one. The nylon nets are like a cheese grader on a fishes slime coat. These are basic facts about proper handling of fish that are intended to be released. I didn't get that from the video though. The Gaff looked and sounded like the standard practice of landing fish. Has far as keeping fish, keep them all and fry them up if that's what you want to do.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:15 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

David, I will give you the courtesy of one reply and then after that, please mind your own business.

It's amazing that you have been a member of this forum for 15 months, made four posts prior to today and the first post you make after all that time is not something enlightening, cordial, informative, or even blase. You have to come on my home forum and basically attack me over something that you PERCEIVE to be. Something that is horrible only in YOUR OPINION and that is not actually based on facts

It's horribly funny that the FIRST AND ONLY fish I have ever gaffed in my life! has caused you such angst.

Too bad. Like was posted earlier in this thread, the gaff was not through any part of the fish's anatomy that would cause it harm, it was released, unharmed, no net touched it's body. If you ever see my boat you will find a rubber coated net is the only net in the boat.

Do I want to stick my hand in the water when it's 7 degrees, even when I have a towel in my back pocket? No.

Will I gaff another rockfish? If I feel like it. Do I eat rockfish? Yes.

Did I take home two rockfish to feed a single mother and her daughter who are my wife's best friend and my daughter's favorite playmate? Yes. And I'm going to do it again, and again, and again.

Do I keep rockfish over ten pounds? No, they are released to grow and give another angler the pleasure of a good fight.

Do a lot of rockfish die, after being caught and released, hours and days later? Yes. It's not the handling techniques that are killing them, it is the exhaustion and stress.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Default.as...16&IndexId=176

There are more studies that confirm these facts. If you want to preserve the species, quit catching them. Or catch your daily limit and stop fishing.

Why do some people have to catch 5, 10, 15 20 per day, multiple days per week? Is it bloodlust? Does it prove that you are a MAN?

The most proficient anglers do more damage to the fisheries than do us "inept, gaffing, netting with nylon nets, buffoons.

So go on back to your STRIPER SOUP.com forum, tell your buddies that you came to my home forum, and you vilified, castigated and would have castrated me if you could have gotten your hands on me.

I'm sure they will all give you high fives and pat you on the butt.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by agelesssone; 01-22-2015 at 08:18 PM.