FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 08-24-2016, 12:19 PM

Arrow Beer Belly Stripers

After not going fishing for almost a month, it was finally time to turn the phone off and hook up the boat. Holy Cow the amount of Shad that are just EVERYWHERE! We decided to give them another menu item and bring some creek chubs to the party. We caught several healthy fish in 35' of moving water fishing at between 17'-21'. They are in the Creek Mouths. Headed back out today to pick up a few more. Think I'll go scout the bluffs around the Steamplant to the 109 Bridge.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:12 PM

Nice! How do you catch the creek chubs? I live near station camp, and was thinking of trying that.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:13 PM

I actually caught them in Station Camp Creek near the rock quarry. Just go there and look for some swift moving water and cast your net in there. I usually get a couple dozen with one toss.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:14 PM

Awesome, thanks!
Old 08-24-2016, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the report.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
After not going fishing for almost a month, it was finally time to turn the phone off and hook up the boat. Holy Cow the amount of Shad that are just EVERYWHERE! We decided to give them another menu item and bring some creek chubs to the party. We caught several healthy fish in 35' of moving water fishing at between 17'-21'. They are in the Creek Mouths. Headed back out today to pick up a few more. Think I'll go scout the bluffs around the Steamplant to the 109 Bridge.

Beautiful looking fish, and healthy lookin' ... do you ever keep any?

More info about Hendersonville and Old Hickory lake fishing at my site: http://myhendersonvilletn.com/
Old 08-24-2016, 07:58 PM

I might keep one in the 5-10 pound range when the freezer gets low, but I always let the 15 year old ones go. They've lived this long without being taken home
Old 08-24-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
I might keep one in the 5-10 pound range when the freezer gets low, but I always let the 15 year old ones go. They've lived this long without being taken home
Good policy .. it seems the younger ones are tastier , ... and it's nice to let the big one's get bigger ^

This one that the 'pajama bottom fisherman' caught is about perfect

More info about Hendersonville and Old Hickory lake fishing at my site: http://myhendersonvilletn.com/
Old 08-25-2016, 02:14 AM

Right On. That's perfect size for the grill. I love to eat them. Second favorite fish after Crappie. Call me crazy...
Old 08-25-2016, 06:51 AM

I am with you Adrian. Those 10 pounder and under striper are delicious. I kept one 20 lb. fish and it wasn't as good. I wouldn't keep them anymore over 10 lbs.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:12 AM

Nice fish and I agree about the smaller ones. I have heard that the saltwater stripers taste great at larger size. Being that saltwater fish in general is much tastier than freshwater fish, I'd bet it's true. I have eaten a couple that were on the larger size, not trophy, but over 10 pounds for sure, and I've also eaten plenty in the 3-7 pound range and the latter are definitely better.

This April you need to head to JPP for the Hybrid run, now that is a tasty fish!

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 08-25-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
Nice fish and I agree about the smaller ones. I have heard that the saltwater stripers taste great at larger size. Being that saltwater fish in general is much tastier than freshwater fish, I'd bet it's true. I have eaten a couple that were on the larger size, not trophy, but over 10 pounds for sure, and I've also eaten plenty in the 3-7 pound range and the latter are definitely better.

This April you need to head to JPP for the Hybrid run, now that is a tasty fish!
Yeah buddy! i think hybrids grill up as good as salmon from a cooking standpoint. The thick filets hold together really good so ya dont lose any between the grill grates.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:26 PM

I know y'all are trying to open that proverbial can of worms and you have...
So would you rather eat the fish or catch.
Here we go again!
Old 08-25-2016, 02:29 PM

I can answer that... YES!!!
Old 08-25-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
I know y'all are trying to open that proverbial can of worms and you have...
So would you rather eat the fish or catch.
Here we go again!
As for me , I release alive over 99% of the fish I catch, but I sure do enjoy eating some also.... I don't get into freezing - prefer to catch and eat same day or next.