FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 PM
sterling21

Default line choice

I have been using flourcarbon for last couple of years ,I have used every kind out there my favorite is seaguar but I have still seen were it wants to splinter after hitting structure with it . I have a power house hook set and have notice breaking a couple fish here and there off on hook set after trail and error I think I'm.going to braid or mono on on slow moving baits and hybrid line on all my cranks and moving baits . What is your favorite line ?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Soft Plastics, Buzzbaits, Spinnerbaits, and Frogs = Power Pro
Cranks and Jerkbaits = Pline Halo, or BPS's Flouro is pertty good, I have found neither brittle, or retain much memory
Swimbaits = Pline CCX
Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 AM

Berkley Trilene 6lb on spinning and 10lb on crankin rod. Stren 14lb on my flip/pitch rod and spinnerbait rod. SOS mono 2lb on my trout magnet rod. Have been happy with mono over the years so no real need to go fluoro on my rods yet.

I threw a duffle bag (probably 25 spools) of Fireline away from 8lb to 50lb because after trying it never liked it. I believe works good in situations but it would always spin on the spool and couldn't figure out why.

One line that I have tried and was really surprised at its results was Cajun Line. The line was very easy to cast and tough as nails. At a small 2-6lb it seemed not as good as the bigger say 10-14lb. I would have kept getting it but I fish at night mostly so having the option for a blacklight worthy line is a plus for me which Cajun Line is not.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Default Best line

Best line I've found is Suffix Pro Mix. Used Trilene for years before Changing to Suffix Clear platnum for all mono applications. I use braid too but I tie a suffix pro mix leader (uni to uni, 10 turns on the braid and at least 5 turns on the mono or modifed Albright). I have no use for fluro. The stuff doesn't work well on a spinning reel. I also had too much trouble using fluro for a leader. It just breaks off at the knot too often. I love Nanofil. It handles great and casts a mile. But you have to be careful on the knot. It's so slick it slips unless it's tied really well.
Tight lines !!!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 AM
sterling21

If anyone ever wants a great spinning rod line or cranking rod line try the yo zuri hybird line it has little memory ,strong and cast great !
Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 AM

I'm in the same situation as Travis. I fish more at night than I do during the day from say April to October so my line choices are narrowed down to flourescents. I have Trilene on my reels and haven't had any problems at all.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling21 View Post
If anyone ever wants a great spinning rod line or cranking rod line try the yo zuri hybird line it has little memory ,strong and cast great !
I have been thinking of trying this line. It is pretty inexpensive and I was thinking it would be good considering how well made all of their other products are. I was afraid of the memory though, now I will have to pick some up! Thanks for the review! As for my contribution I use Trilene smooth casting on everything but my crank bait rod, it has Berkley 100% Flourocarbon.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM
sterling21

I have been using this line for 5 years love it ! I dont consider it expensive though due to what i pay for seaguar line . You can get a 600 yard spool of 10 lb for reasonable cheap . I have not used any of this line over 10 lb range but would think it would work just as good !
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling21 View Post
I have been using this line for 5 years love it ! I dont consider it expensive though due to what i pay for seaguar line . You can get a 600 yard spool of 10 lb for reasonable cheap . I have not used any of this line over 10 lb range but would think it would work just as good !
How does it handle on spinning reels? I've had some bad experiences with fluoro and some mono lines that no matter how I spool them on, they end up coming off in loops or throwing birdsnests or knots at some time.

Right now I'm mainly using Trilene Smooth Casting line on my spinning reels and some of my baitcasters (the rest are braid) and I've had good luck with that.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad60 View Post
How does it handle on spinning reels? I've had some bad experiences with fluoro and some mono lines that no matter how I spool them on, they end up coming off in loops or throwing birdsnests or knots at some time.

Right now I'm mainly using Trilene Smooth Casting line on my spinning reels and some of my baitcasters (the rest are braid) and I've had good luck with that.
There is a number of things besides line that causes line twist on spinning reels.
1. Closing the bail with the handle as opposed to closing with your hand.
2. Not using a swivel with baits that twist upon cast.
3. Reeling against the drag. When the fish is pulling the drag do not reel.
3. Casting into the wind.
4. Roller on bail not lubed and not turning.

Then some spinning reels simply twist line. The old Lew's spinning reels come to mind.