FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 11-23-2014, 05:07 PM

Default MH to heavy spinning rod.

ok I have been trying to look for a spinning rod for awhile. would like to stay in the $100 range be 7ft-7.5ft. I would use this as a worm/a-rig/crankbait /big swimbaits/big topwater baits.

ok go.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Dakota S

All pro are always good. I have dime bass pro brand too that i like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2014, 07:52 PM

All Pro is a good rod. MojoBass series are too, fixing to pick a md.light up this week.

Andy
Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 PM

I really like the verities series. For around 100 buck they are tough to beat. All Pro is nice also, I have a TN cork handle rod of theirs.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:11 PM

ok tks. I was at BPS the other day walking around window shopping lol. I think it was a diawa rod I seen kinda liked the way it felt. it was 7ft2in and was under 100. any input on it?
Old 11-24-2014, 02:38 PM

I've been using both the spinning and casting BP Bionic Blade rods for about 15 years. They come in at the right price, and I pick up two every year when they have their $59 sale.

My requirements are the same as yours but in one-piece configuration (always). The butt lengths are good; they are durable; and they are consistent (important when running multiple rods while trolling and looking for small fish disrupting the spread).

For my money, I like the tip action and backbone of the rods. The "power hump" is a great feature for fitting the palm of your hand.

Tough to beat . . . I'm not a spokesman and not a big BP fan; just like this item particularly.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonDaze View Post
I've been using both the spinning and casting BP Bionic Blade rods for about 15 years. They come in at the right price, and I pick up two every year when they have their $59 sale.

My requirements are the same as yours but in one-piece configuration (always). The butt lengths are good; they are durable; and they are consistent (important when running multiple rods while trolling and looking for small fish disrupting the spread).

For my money, I like the tip action and backbone of the rods. The "power hump" is a great feature for fitting the palm of your hand.

Tough to beat . . . I'm not a spokesman and not a big BP fan; just like this item particularly.
+1. Just as good and more comfortable than most prestigious brand names.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95v6 View Post
.... I would use this as a worm/a-rig/crankbait /big swimbaits/big topwater baits.

ok go.
I would not want to throw a a-rig/big swimbait/big topwater on spinning gear and I fish spinning gear 85% of the time. You have not mentioned what spinning reel you have, IMO most common bass size spinning reels (say 2000 size) will be damaged from throwing those type lures. Unless you have a very large spooled saltwater spinning reel (high inch per turn), I would not even consider it.

That said, I look for different actions for different baits. For worm rod, I would look for a fast action rod (ie bends closer to the top). I would also go with Medium Light or Medium power (as I seldom go above 3/16 oz weight on my worms). For crankbaits up to say 3/4 oz I would go with a moderate action (bends more in the middle) in medium power. However, 3/4 oz and up in weight, I usually go baitcasting setup. A-rig (and frog) I go with fast action in extra-heavy power with A-rig closer to moderately fast and the frog closer extra-fast. Swimbaits I like a moderate action and power depends on their weight but MediumHeavy to Heavy. Big topwater I like moderately fast in mediumheavy to heavy power but like a-rigs man what a chore to turn them with spinning gear. I also like topwater rods to be shorter, standing in the boat, I typically provide action to them in a downward motion. A 7.5 ft rod is going to have the tip hitting the gunnel or be underwater.

Rods designed for inshore fishing would be your best bet at finding spinning gear that heavy, particular popping rods. I am not brand sensitive but the sub-$120 market is very competitive.

Just my thoughts, good luck on your hunt for one rod to do it all.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:40 PM

thanks Bfish all very good points and info.

main reason i will throw spinning is cause i currently don't own a baitcaster anymore.