FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-09-2018, 08:36 PM

Default Oh 4/9

Well today was much better than the other day when I got skunked. I had 7 keepers today and a handful of short fish. But I got my heart broke today. I broke off a giant bass. I hate to even guess how big she was but she was way over 6lbs. It probably would have been my biggest bass ever. The first spot I fished was a row of stake beds. There is about 10 of them lined up close together. My first flip I got bit and missed the fish. I ended up with 3 fish out of those beds. They are right by the ramp I put in and so I fished them again before I left. I started where I missed the first fish. I flipped my tube in there and pulled out a little backlash I had. When I started reeling in my slack I noticed my line swimming off. I reeled down and set the hook and this fish had swam about 15 feet out of that stake bed but my line was wrapped up in the bed. She made an attempt to jump but she was so big she couldn't get out of the water and that's when I got a good look at her. I got her all the way back to the stake bed and she was wrapped up tight and then my line broke. I was devastated! I retied and flipped in the same stake bed and got crushed again! Swing and a miss and no more bites. All of the fish I caught today came off isolated cover in 2-5 fow and they were caught on a squarebill, spinnerbait, and flipping a tube.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Fishing Fool

Great write up! Gives me hope that it’s getting better. And you found them shallow. We fished the bluff walls towards the dam Sunday, completely different conditions, but we found fish in 20+ and water barely hit 51.

You have no idea how happy I am to hear this. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
Great write up! Gives me hope that it’s getting better. And you found them shallow. We fished the bluff walls towards the dam Sunday, completely different conditions, but we found fish in 20+ and water barely hit 51.

You have no idea how happy I am to hear this. Lol

The crazy thing is the water was colder today, but I stayed off the bank today and I think that was the key.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:08 AM

I'm thinking of going Thursday. Probably lower end. Were you upper or lower and what's the clarity? Surely with the warming it will push them shallow this week, but it's OH, so who knows.

The other issue with a shallow bite has been the water level. The Corp has not been nice the past month +. Don't know what their problem is...
Old 04-10-2018, 07:26 AM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhick View Post
I'm thinking of going Thursday. Probably lower end. Were you upper or lower and what's the clarity? Surely with the warming it will push them shallow this week, but it's OH, so who knows.

The other issue with a shallow bite has been the water level. The Corp has not been nice the past month +. Don't know what their problem is...

I’m off Friday and if the Stars align I’ll be out there then. You ain’t lying about the Corp, every time I get on a good shallow bite they pull the plug out the lake. It’s been a crazy crazy year.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:59 AM

That a boy. That's what I'm used to hearing. Maybe that hog will be back in that bed in a day or so.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:17 AM

Good report.. Glad to hear they are starting straighten out..

I caught a big girl like that about 5 years ago, she was a 6 or 7 lb fish..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhick View Post

I fished in Bledsoe Creek most of the day. Good clarity and water was 56 b
Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Sunfish Assassin

Main lake is the best I've seen in weeks but the lake is low.

Tyler
Old 04-13-2018, 01:40 AM
hogdawg

I was watching Southern Woods and Waters tonight and he said there were at least three bass caught this past week at Old Hickory that were in the 8 pound range. Sounds like the bass bite is turning on.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:37 AM

I believe 7.28 weighed last Saturday at tournament. 3 8lbers is unheard of on hickory any more.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:18 PM

Default nice report

thanks. good to hear someone's gettin em.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Fished OH again this afternoon for a few hours and the bite was pretty good. I only managed 2 keepers but a lot of small bass showed up. I caught everything casting or flipping a tube and a creature bait in 2-5 fow. Water temps in Bledsoe Creek ranged from 64-67. I know there has to be a high demand for boat mechanics. I saw several boats running around on plane in the back of that creek all afternoon. There is no way some of these people knew what was under their boat. The creek channel gets very tricky in the back of that creek and people were running around on flats in less than 2 feet of water where sumberged trees and logs are scattered everywhere.