FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 AM

Default Topwater Frogs

What's ya'lls opinion on the best top water frog out right now? I'm talking texas rigged not one you would 'walk the dog' with.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 AM

I use Zoom's Horny Toad for that but also Spro's bronze eye hollow body too. That one is expensive but it has good hooks and is heavier than the others at 5/8 oz.

You can fish the hollow bodies like the T-Rigged ones on the surface just leave the legs longer and don't trim them much. Usually, you trim the legs shorter to get the walkling the dog action with the shorter you go giving more action.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Dakota S

Rage frog has good action not like the rage shad though. Not a fan of the yum frog.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:36 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Horny Toad in Black.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 AM

Spro BronzeEye. Coming out of pads and tall grass, nothing has produced better for me. The cheap scum frog with no legs is much cheaper and catches fish well, but it takes on water every cast and must be squeezed dry every time. Sometimes they do not sit right in the water and require some tweaking to get the right action out of them as well. (why my vote goes to the spro, more expensive less hassle)
Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr3a View Post
The cheap scum frog with no legs is much cheaper and catches fish well, but it takes on water every cast and must be squeezed dry every time. Sometimes they do not sit right in the water and require some tweaking to get the right action out of them as well. (why my vote goes to the spro, more expensive less hassle)

This Scum Frog Big Foot, I wasn't impressed with. I thought it would have great action but doesn't sit upright in the water most times and becomes a real task to cast on a baitcasting rod due to the 3/8 oz weight.

I'd go with something different and a little heavier so you can reach way back in the pads.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 AM

I haven't caught anything with that one either. This is the cheap one I was talking about, but the ones I have tried have no black. All chartreuse and a chartreuse and white tail:

As I said before though, very rarely do they sit right in the water without adjusting the weight. And... even then... they take on water EVERY CAST. I do get hits on them, but I only use them if my Spro gets damaged, lost, or someone is fishing with me using my tackle. (The spro's are expensive). I also meant to mention that I use the BronzeEye Jr more often than the full size. I really do think that this scum frog could keep up with the Spro once tuned in. The problem is if you miss a hit you have to throw a worm to retrieve because you would have to squeeze the water out of this thing before re-casting and the fish could be gone.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM

For really thick stuff and pads I like the Spro.

The Academy ones are nice looking but cheap hooks and like the other hollow bodies weigh less than the Spro.

If I am fishing random cover not as thick then the T-rigged Zoom is a favorite. It can be popped along next to a lone stump or floating patch and let sink. You'll never forget the sight of a big mouth chasing it back to the surface.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:02 PM

I've used that scum frog above this post in a solid green fishing lilypads at Travis C.'s secret lake. It is fun and they wallup it.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Ham View Post
I've used that scum frog above this post in a solid green fishing lilypads at Travis C.'s secret lake. It is fun and they wallup it.
It won't be long...and could be already. I seen a monster in a body of water very near there on Thursday cruising around a laydown.