FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM

Default Stripers

After watching videos like this one, I have striper fever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMZoUaCuYvk

I probably don't even have the gear for stripers; the only rig I own that I'd even venture to try is a G. Loomis 7' heavy with a Revo Winch reel but I have a feeling that would last about 5 seconds with a fish that size.

Anyway, I'm wondering if these stripers can be caught anywhere on the Cumberland, like in the Clarksville/Dover areas or do they mainly hang around other parts of the river, like near the dams? Can you fish for them with artificial lures and if so, what's good? Or is live bait the best? What a rush it must be to hook into a fish like that, or heck, even half that size.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyhLxHFWslI
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 PM

I'm dying to catch one of these things. I've made a few attempts below Center Hill Dam but I'm seeing that it actually isn't that common to catch them there. OH Dam is a great place to catch them. My girlfriend is actually moving to Hendersonville about 10 minutes from the dam. Guess where I'll be fishing a lot soon? I'm determined.

As far as lures, just think big. I have some big swimbaits, shad pattern, with 6/0 hooks and that is my striper setup. I know those things will catch one if I keep trying.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 AM
lupan

Default OH Stripers

From now till September you can catch stripers at the dam.
I'm gong on Wed. I'll let you know.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 AM

I fished below OH Dam on Saturday, launched at the new ramp on the Stones river and ran up to catch the two hour release from 6-8AM. I started catching stripers on a spinner bait from the sewer pipe all the way down to the island below OH Blvd bridge. What a blast! When the current cut off, there was flow in the Stones river so I got on the bass for another couple of hours.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Dakota S

I'd love to get a report from you for wed. I like to get to the dam for stripers, too. I've probably seen you out there but didnt know it. Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupanfreitag View Post
From now till September you can catch stripers at the dam.
I'm gong on Wed. I'll let you know.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 AM

Default Dam

Ok, so pretty much, if I want to catch one of these, I need to be near a dam? They don't run the entire river, like LM bass? Again, I'm relatively new to this area so I apologize for asking what some of you may think of as dumb questions.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM

As the water warms up they will move towards the dams to be nearest to the oxygen enriched water created by the generation or the sluice gate flow. When the water is cooler as in fall through spring they will be spread out in the river system. As with all river fish, current flow is the key to their urge to actively feed.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad60 View Post
Ok, so pretty much, if I want to catch one of these, I need to be near a dam? They don't run the entire river, like LM bass? Again, I'm relatively new to this area so I apologize for asking what some of you may think of as dumb questions.
This time of year through end of summer it wouldn't hurt. If they are running or spilling the more the better.

They do not tend to hang around say a log on a point for long periods of time like a LM bass.

"Striper may be one place in the morning 2 miles down the lake by afternoon, and somewhere else entirely by tomorrow. Unlike largemouths, Striped Bass gorge themselves full, then won't feed again until their stomachs are empty. Also, Striped Bass are more light-sensitive and easier to spook than largemouth. You can put down an entire feeding school of Striped Bass for hours just by motoring over them or dropping something against the hull." http://www.arkansasstripers.com/arka...riped-bass.htm
Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 PM

Thanks guys. One of these days! (or so I hope )
Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
This is a great video Travis, but i could not stop laughing at the second guy catching a fish with the reel upside down and reeling backwards! To me that would be so much more of a challenge!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfisher View Post
This is a great video Travis, but i could not stop laughing at the second guy catching a fish with the reel upside down and reeling backwards! To me that would be so much more of a challenge!
Easy does it . That is the host of ky afield. He is missing his right hand. That's the only way he can do it !!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM

Tim Farmer has been that way for a long time. I believe a motorcycle wreck was the culprit but not sure. However he can shoot and fish better than most. You should see him fly fish out of a kayak. KY Afield is the longest running outdoors show in the country.

But to part of you point MNfisher, it is funny when people do that. Something about that just doesn't seem right...
Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 PM

Get on you tube and find the episode of him bowfishing.. pulls the bow back with his teeth and shot amazingly well although I know it didn't show all of the misses!!! I wish tn had a good outdoors show like that one!! There used to be a tn outdoorsman back in the day but.don't know if there are any current shows or not
Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Tim Farmer has been that way for a long time. I believe a motorcycle wreck was the culprit but not sure. However he can shoot and fish better than most. You should see him fly fish out of a kayak. KY Afield is the longest running outdoors show in the country.

But to part of you point MNfisher, it is funny when people do that. Something about that just doesn't seem right...
Usually though its a spinning reel and they have it rolled up ... That's the funny ones. I watched a big guy on YouTube bank fishing with a huge zebco spin cast and fought a big cat the whole time upside down.