FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 10-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Owner and Administrator

Red face Dead Wing/Prepare for your Fishing trips .. <'TK><

7 weeks ago I was fishing with a fellow FTI member ... We were using a make shift Casting seat on the casting deck, since I can't stand anymore for more 30 min's at a time ... I went to set the hook the seat collapsed and I ended up falling approx. 4 feet from the seat height to the bottom of the boat striking the back of my recently repaired head but the worse damage was to my left shoulder striking the center console and peripheral supports for a cooler ...

The pain lingered so I went to my Orthopedic surgeon 2 weeks ago ... after X-rays and a MRI It was discovered That I had severed two of the 4 Ligaments that are attached to the Rotary cuff and the remaining two had shifted up to my neck as well as severed my Rotary cuff Muscle. The really bad news is all of this is inoperable ... No operation will help ... I am in Therapy now for both Rotary cuffs (hopefully to relieve the 24/7 pain in the left shoulder) and knees so I can build up strength for the knee replacements ... So now I have a dead Wing from 90 degrees up ...

So be careful out there ... You never know what will happen ... When I was guiding I was always prepared to meet my clients needs when it came to comfort and safety .... <'TK><
Old 10-28-2014, 05:09 AM

Sorry to hear of your accident. Best wishes for you.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:04 AM

TK
So sorry to hear about your accident. My prayers are for your complete recovery and fishing every day you want.
This getting older makes recovering take a little longer. Take the therapist some candy and they will be nicer.
Ed
Old 10-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Sorry to hear about this TK, if there is anything you need please call, or PM me.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:21 AM

Default Look Further

TK,

My father broke his shoulder in a similar fall when he was about 50 years old. He never got it fixed because it was "inoperable."

3 years ago, at age 71; the Mayo clinic fixed his shoulder. It was fairly radical new surgery, but he is pain free and has SIGNIFICANTLY better range of motion. He is doing well but regrets not having the work done earlier; although, because the technique is very new, it wasn't an option until he had it done.

This was EXPENSIVE, but Medicare paid for it (he likes to remind me that I'm picking up the tab for this one ).

PM me if you'd like further info on the docs at Mayo. Life is too short to go without a wing.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Dang TK. I'll be praying for your recovery. Sorry to hear that it can't be repaired.

Regards