FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM

Cool what kind of boat batteries do ya'll use???

I have the 2 biggest marine deep cycle batteries walmart sells and they're freaking heavy. I'd like to get lighter batteries that last all day like these do. I just have my outboard hooked to one battery and it'll last many trips, but I still charge it before every trip. I run my trolling motor, lights, and depthfinder off of the other battery and it holds up through every trip so far for over a year. I'm fixing to buy an onboard charger to make charging easier and I think it'll help with longevity. The reason I want lighter batteries is because the rear of boat sits down low in the water and if I could shed some weight on my batteries I think it could help a little. I called alumaweld and they told me my boat is 17.5ft and the max hp rating is 90. I have a 90hp but most of the same size xpress boats I've seen have smaller motors, even direct from the factory. At this point I'm not in a position to be replacing my motor for a lighter one and I'd hate to lose the speed. I can get 45mph GPS and it helps cover some ground. I think my motor weighs 305lbs. It's and 84' 6 cylinder mercury. I'm going to start keeping my tackle in the front also.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 PM

I just read in Wal-Mart's q&a section that my batteries weigh 61lbs and are rated for 870ish m.c.a. I think mercury says to have at least 525 mca for cranking 75-125hp motors. Since mca is cranking amps at 32 degrees Fahrenheit if I got a new battery how low could I go on the mca rating and expect consistent reliable power for starting?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Well the optima agm 34m 8006-006 is 22 1/2 lbs lighter, has 1000 mca/ 800 cca, and is intended for starting/cranking specifically. It's not intended for dual purpose.

Last edited by nofish; 02-07-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Fishing TN Staff

You could go to the Lithium Ion Battery to save weight, and possibly relocate one or both batteries further forward in the hull. That would come with a price though.

Jeremy
Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM

I would switch my lights and depth finder to the cranking battery if it was me, since it gets recharged while you are running. Granted they aren't that big of a draw but I have always run accessories on my cranking battery. As Jeremy mentioned you could go li-io and place that battery in the front of the boat if you have the room. Really that is about your only option that I could think of.

Roy
Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Aquaholic6801

I think its hard not to use the Walmart batteries.....My trolling batteries just took a dump on me a couple of weeks ago and really didnt want to spend the $200 to replace them....so I was going to bite the bullet and go get new ones, well when I pulled them out of their battery boxes....they were 18 months free replacement....it had been 15 months since purchased....I use them A LOT.......I upgraded to the next better battery (24 month free replacement, longer run time) cost me $28.00 extra.....
Old 02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Owner and Administrator

Thumbs up WalMart Batteries <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
I think its hard not to use the Walmart batteries.....My trolling batteries just took a dump on me a couple of weeks ago and really didnt want to spend the $200 to replace them....so I was going to bite the bullet and go get new ones, well when I pulled them out of their battery boxes....they were 18 months free replacement....it had been 15 months since purchased....I use them A LOT.......I upgraded to the next better battery (24 month free replacement, longer run time) cost me $28.00 extra.....
I have used ever brand of Battery that was out there, (Some free ones from sponsors) . I used 6 batteries on my guide boat ... Two main batteries in Parallel (12VDC) to run pumps/aero's, start etc ... My Merc had a 60 amp belt driven Alternator etc ... For my trolling motor 4 batteries set up in series/parellel to give me 24 VDC which doubles the Amperage (staying power) .

I just bought 2 new batteries for my Walleye boat ... The are from WalMart ... Johnson controls makes walmart batteries ... They have always given me the best service ... (note: Never intergrate old and new batteries in a series or parallel configuration) Now as far as the Litheuim Batteries ... I have never owned and for a marine application .. <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-08-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:00 PM

Is your tank in the rear with the batteries as well? That would be another 60-150lbs fuel depending on how many gallons yours held. Some Xpress holds 10-11 gal some 20 gal. Lighter batteries may not make a huge difference.

I'd try storing things forward in the boat before moving abunch of batteries around. The boat was designed in the layout and tested. More than likely it will take some work to relocated batteries if your model is fully carpeted out and already has compartments.

Also, I usually run my lights, depth finder, instruments and motor all on the cranking battery. That only the trolling motor is on the other two. Just be sure to keep it charged too and not leave a bilge or light then it will be a long troll (which I have had to do before) back to the dock.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Is your tank in the rear with the batteries as well? That would be another 60-150lbs fuel depending on how many gallons yours held. Some Xpress holds 10-11 gal some 20 gal. Lighter batteries may not make a huge difference.

I'd try storing things forward in the boat before moving abunch of batteries around. The boat was designed in the layout and tested. More than likely it will take some work to relocated batteries if your model is fully carpeted out and already has compartments.

Also, I usually run my lights, depth finder, instruments and motor all on the cranking battery. That only the trolling motor is on the other two. Just be sure to keep it charged too and not leave a bilge or light then it will be a long troll (which I have had to do before) back to the dock.

Yes my 18 gallon tank is in the back where the batteries are located. I'll take everyones advice into consideration and let you know what I decided. I think for the time being I'm going to try to move everything forward I can and go from there.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM

I'll put my lights and accessories/depthfinder on the starting battery and just leave my trolling motor hooked up to the other battery.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 PM

Every battery I buy, I buy at batteries plus. There's something about buying a battery from people that know about batteries that gives you some peace of mind...
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Aquaholic6801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Whisperer View Post
Every battery I buy, I buy at batteries plus. There's something about buying a battery from people that know about batteries that gives you some peace of mind...
Theres a lot less hassle if you have to return them for warranty if you get them from Walmart.............Ive looked for different batteries there....they are damn sure are proud of some of them...I went there looking for some CR2032's (for hat clip on fishing lights) one time I thought Id get a deal...they were like $10 FOR 2 OF THEM....I remembered I had seen some at Northern Tools in a 9 pcs blister pack for $4.99 ........ pretty much a battery is a battery....
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Owner and Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
Theres a lot less hassle if you have to return them for warranty if you get them from Walmart.............Ive looked for different batteries there....they are damn sure are proud of some of them...I went there looking for some CR2032's (for hat clip on fishing lights) one time I thought Id get a deal...they were like $10 FOR 2 OF THEM....I remembered I had seen some at Northern Tools in a 9 pcs blister pack for $4.99 ........ pretty much a battery is a battery....
Harry, WalMart carries the CR2032's as well ... Name brand ... (Go to the nice lady behind any WalMart Jewlery Counter ... They have just about any small appliance Battery from Watches, Utility, Hearing Ads , Toys .. A lot of these batteries are common) I had an undesirable experience with Battery Plus one time over a $65 Home alarm system battery ... But Hey ... If you need speciality batteries ... They may have the corner of the mkt ... But you can also find them on EBAY ... I also found Battery Plus to be pricey ...

But when it comes to deep cycle Lead Marine Batteries it is not rocket science ... Now the lighter weight Litheum batteries are $$ ... But I have being buying Motor cycle Lith Bats from walMart for my RiverHawk to start my 15 HP Johnson ... works fine ... Just a thought .... Just check your Amperage requirements ... ( I have never bought the full size Lith Marine Batteries)

Nofish ... I think Travis hit the nail on the head ... Now an inline 6 cyl, Merc 90 HP and an 115 HP and an inline 150 are all 100 Cubic Inch Motors ... Is your Boat newer than an 84 model ... Newer 90 HP's weighed less than 305# ... (They were 4 cyl's) OMC and Merc .. .. Move all of your weight that you can forward ... Have you added an after mkt livewell? Why is this such an issue that the transom sits close to the water ??

Also what Travis said ... The main boat power source should be connected to the start Battery .. It does get replinished somewhat while running ... So everything except the trolling motor should be connected to it ... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-09-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Harry, WalMart carries the CR2032's as well ... Name brand ... (Go to the nice lady behind any WalMart Jewlery Counter ... They have just about any small appliance Battery from Watches, Utility, Hearing Ads , Toys .. A lot of these batteries are common) I had an undesirable experience with Battery Plus one time over a $65 Home alarm system battery ... But Hey ... If you need speciality batteries ... They may have the corner of the mkt ... But you can also find them on EBAY ... I also found Battery Plus to be pricey ...

But when it comes to deep cycle Lead Marine Batteries it is not rocket science ... Now the lighter weight Litheum batteries are $$ ... But I have being buying Motor cycle Lith Bats from walMart for my RiverHawk to start my 15 HP Johnson ... works fine ... Just a thought .... Just check your Amperage requirements ... ( I have never bought the full size Lith Marine Batteries)

Nofish ... I think Travis hit the nail on the head ... Now an inline 6 cyl, Merc 90 HP and an 115 HP and an inline 150 are all 100 Cubic Inch Motors ... Is your Boat newer than an 84 model ... Newer 90 HP's weighed less than 305# ... (They were 4 cyl's) OMC and Merc .. .. Move all of your weight that you can forward ... Have you added an after mkt livewell? Why is this such an issue that the transom sits close to the water ??

Also what Travis said ... The main boat power source should be connected to the start Battery .. It does get replinished somewhat while running ... So everything except the trolling motor should be connected to it ... <'TK><
Its an 84 motor, 96 xpress, and no aftermarket livewell TK. Im going to take yalls advice and hook my lights and depth finder to my big motor battery. I dont have a huge issue with boat sitting low in the back, but a few people that have been in it have mentioned it. Last summer I gassed it and let off and gassed it and let off a few more times and water came in the boat, filled battery compartment, and my bilge pump failed. The boat took on so much water it flipped. I knew better then and I know better now not to let off the throttle like that cause water will come up over the back of the boat. Now if I let off tbe throttle real fast before the wave hits the back of the boat I give it a little gas and everything is fine.

Last edited by nofish; 02-09-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Aquaholic6801

Talking

Yeah I have worked for Walmart going on 18yrs.....they are high on those CR2032s also...like $6 for 2.....the blister pack front Northern Tools usually last me a year.....