FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 11-16-2015, 05:58 PM

Arrow Need a Battery Suggestion... Again

Here we go again! It seems the Expensive Die Hard Platinum 31M battery I bought a few months ago is NOT suggested for my Mercury 175 EFI with a Stator based charging system. It's been recommended by a Mercury Mechanic that I use a Wet Cell battery so I don't blow up any more regulators or a stator.

Well, I'm back to the drawing board. I need a Wet Cell battery that can handle Starting, 1 Live Well, 2 Lowrance Units, & NMEA network 6-8 Hours.

Help is Appreciated.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:30 PM

I would go with 2 batteries myself, 2 grp 24's from WM, one being a deep cycle for the FF and other accessories. I tried a U-1 to power my HDS 8 &7 with SS, and a 2d HB 788 ci HD, lasted 6 hrs and all 3 shut down w/in 30 seconds of each other. People say the HDS units don't pull much but my U-1 was and is in good shape. I put a grp 24 in its place and it's only down 20% after 6 hrs of fishing with all 3 FF going.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Dakota S

I just replaced my deka-battery that I've had for three years. I just have one HDS 7. I'm sure all you would need to do is step it up a notch or two from what I had. I baby and charge my batteries quite often. I thought three years is a pretty good life span.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Dakota S

One more thing there's a big warehouse of Deka batteries up off of myatt drive in rivergate area go by and talk to someone about it they are helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2015, 09:12 PM

I have a Deka battery I bought in August just sitting there also, but since the mechanic told me Not to use "Maintenance Free" with a stator charging system I'm doubly screwed on battery purchases this year...

I already have 3 Big Honkin' batteries in my boat, just need to find one starting battery that can handle that Livewell, 2 Lowrances, & NMEA for a few hours so I can put BIG OLE STRIPERS in the boat!

Here's one of my paper weights:

Old 11-16-2015, 11:07 PM

Adrian, call Steve at Lawrenceburg Marine and ask him what he suggests.

I trust him as much as any Mercury mechanic I have known.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:10 PM

Adrian,

If your trolling motor is 12v you could always run all of your batteries in parallel. The engine would make a charge to all when running, however again they must all be the same dual purpose battery.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:00 PM

Yeah, My Trolling motor is a Motorguide Xi5 which is 24V. The Platinum PM1 was the perfect battery, just not for this Outboard. It would go for 10 hours and only lose about 15% charge, but if it blows up Stators, that's not a good thing
Old 11-17-2015, 04:45 PM

If you just need or want one battery for cranking and the accessories, the WM everstart/evermax ? batteries are wet cell, and probably come in a grp 29 or 31. This should serve your needs well. GL
Old 11-18-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
I have a Deka battery I bought in August just sitting there also, but since the mechanic told me Not to use "Maintenance Free" with a stator charging system I'm doubly screwed on battery purchases this year...

I already have 3 Big Honkin' batteries in my boat, just need to find one starting battery that can handle that Livewell, 2 Lowrances, & NMEA for a few hours so I can put BIG OLE STRIPERS in the boat!

Here's one of my paper weights:

I have never heard of issues with maintanace free batteries. They have been around for 30 years, maybe try a new mechanic.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:37 PM

Here's what EuropeanAM from European Marine in Greenville SC said... He's a Huge Contributor on BassBoatCentral Forums.

"That's a great battery for the ALTERNATOR engine models.

Your STATOR charging system model should be using a WET CELL (CRANKING) BATTERY.

AGM, Maintenance Free, and Deep Cycle Batteries are NOT recommended for Stator-type charging systems, as they can over-tax the system due to their discharge/charging profiles."
Old 11-18-2015, 10:07 PM

I agree that deep cycle is for trolling , but starting is starting. If it is designated for starting you should be good to go.

If there was an issue with these the manufacturers would have sounded the alarms years ago.

I would not hesitate to use what you have there. My experience with maintanance free is longevity, they just dont seem to last as long as the ones you can fill.

Call Hank Parsley,,, 6158957559. he is a great mechanic, ask him what he thinks

Last edited by Heiny57; 11-18-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:28 PM

Maybe this will help,

http://1source.basspro.com/index.php...y-buying-guide