FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
I keep it moving.
Thanks for the info. This weekend I'll be chasing turkeys but next weekend if my work schedule stays as is, I'll have to be on night shifts for a little over a week and will have to stay on a nights schedule through the weekend. If the weather is good I'll just fish all night looking for that topwater/cork and fluke hybrid bite.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 05-02-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
Thanks for the info. This weekend I'll be chasing turkeys but next weekend if my work schedule stays as is, I'll have to be on night shifts for a little over a week and will have to stay on a nights schedule through the weekend. If the weather is good I'll just fish all night looking for that topwater/cork and fluke hybrid bite.
I dont know much about that kind of bite. do they bust the surface in schools at night the same way they do during the day?
for example, could i just listen to the water at night for them busting or are you looking for fish via electronics then using the topwater to bring them up?
i tried it a few times last year with no results so im kinda curious on the method. i always seem to hear fish splashing at night, but when i pursue said splashes, the only splashes i end up hearing are my owns casts! LOL.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
I dont know much about that kind of bite. do they bust the surface in schools at night the same way they do during the day?
for example, could i just listen to the water at night for them busting or are you looking for fish via electronics then using the topwater to bring them up?
i tried it a few times last year with no results so im kinda curious on the method. i always seem to hear fish splashing at night, but when i pursue said splashes, the only splashes i end up hearing are my owns casts! LOL.
Well Headhunter can probably speak more to that. He says he fishes for them mostly at night this time of year. I haven't tried it yet. Last Summer I did a couple overnight trips on JPP for the same purpose of rolling into night shift hours and I'd find them blowing up but this was right at sunrise. When I'd get there, it was only whites and smaller bass hitting my topwaters. I know some of those feeding explosions had to be bigger fish but I just didn't get one.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiny57 View Post
That sucks, sorry to hear that, I lost a spare tire last year. What ramp were you at.
This happened at cooks. There was an unmarked police car there when I was leaving, but I didn't know I'd been hit until I had been home for an hour.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:42 PM

The cold weather is going to knock the topwater bite down for a bit, but yes they are catchable at night and no for the most part you will not hear any fish feeding on the surface. I cover as much territory as possible and look for them by casting. They have been moving a lot the last couple years and showing up in places I hear many say they wouldn't use that area. It makes it tough but so much fun when you can find them.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
It makes it tough but so much fun when you can find them.
I've had 2 trips result in skunks this Spring in areas where I hammered them a week before or even a few days before. It can be frustrating but yes when you find them it's a blast. I look forward to this every year and it's the most fun fishing of the entire year for me. This weekend is all turkey hunting for me with the cool weather moving in so my hybrid season may be over. I got a lot of good drag pulls and many tasty meals so I'd say it was a success.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnarcher View Post
This happened at cooks. There was an unmarked police car there when I was leaving, but I didn't know I'd been hit until I had been home for an hour.
Hate to hear that. I used to park and fish there a lot.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I've had 2 trips result in skunks this Spring in areas where I hammered them a week before or even a few days before. It can be frustrating but yes when you find them it's a blast. I look forward to this every year and it's the most fun fishing of the entire year for me. This weekend is all turkey hunting for me with the cool weather moving in so my hybrid season may be over. I got a lot of good drag pulls and many tasty meals so I'd say it was a success.
I don't eat them, I keep a couple every once in a while and give them away and most of the time don't even weigh them. The last guy I gave them to said the last 4 I have given him weighed over 40 lbs. I don't know if that was true but that is what he weighed them at. My best one this year was almost 14 on my bogas (my bogas weigh a 5 lb postal check weight on the money) but one fish I gave to my friend that I thought was 11 or 12, didn't weigh it, he said it was 13.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I don't eat them, I keep a couple every once in a while and give them away and most of the time don't even weigh them. The last guy I gave them to said the last 4 I have given him weighed over 40 lbs. I don't know if that was true but that is what he weighed them at. My best one this year was almost 14 on my bogas (my bogas weigh a 5 lb postal check weight on the money) but one fish I gave to my friend that I thought was 11 or 12, didn't weigh it, he said it was 13.
To each his own but everyone knows I'm a catch and eat guy anyway. A lot of people say they don't taste good, I have a strong suspicion they either aren't removing the bloodline properly or they just aren't good cooks. In the past I took home a couple and didn't take the time to really get rid of all that stuff and there isn't enough spices and butter in the world to make them taste good if you don't. Unless you're trying to survive, you won't like the taste. I ate them only because I didn't want to waste something I killed but I did not enjoy it.

To me, all 3 species of striped fish is some of the best tasting fish in freshwater. I'd prefer bass or walleye over those ONLY because I don't have to do the extra work of getting that red meat out.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
To each his own but everyone knows I'm a catch and eat guy anyway. A lot of people say they don't taste good, I have a strong suspicion they either aren't removing the bloodline properly or they just aren't good cooks. In the past I took home a couple and didn't take the time to really get rid of all that stuff and there isn't enough spices and butter in the world to make them taste good if you don't. Unless you're trying to survive, you won't like the taste. I ate them only because I didn't want to waste something I killed but I did not enjoy it.

To me, all 3 species of striped fish is some of the best tasting fish in freshwater. I'd prefer bass or walleye over those ONLY because I don't have to do the extra work of getting that red meat out.
Not a bash, I prefer crappie. White bass, striper or hybrid I don't eat and I have tried everything, always got rid of the white line, soaked them in a baking soda and salt water solution, changing water several times, etc. and they are just terrible to me. I don't care what anyone legally keeps.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:

no doubt about it! you get yourself a nice size hybrid and it grills it very very nice. Nice thick, white, flaky fillet. but yeah, without a doubt, you dont clean it properly, you will not be doing your tastebuds or the fish any justice.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:35 AM

Ironically the best fish I have had in a long time wasn't even supposed to be where I caught it. That's the tilapia from Old Hickory. It was so much better than the store bought you can't even compare.

I fried up 30 fish sticks one night for my wife and two lil ones but once I sat down to eat only 3 were left. Bunch of brats....all three.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Ironically the best fish I have had in a long time wasn't even supposed to be where I caught it. That's the tilapia from Old Hickory. It was so much better than the store bought you can't even compare.

I fried up 30 fish sticks one night for my wife and two lil ones but once I sat down to eat only 3 were left. Bunch of brats....all three.
That's the difference between farm raised and wild caught fish! The latter is superior in all categories. Same with game. I had farm raised venison one time at a restaurant. Absolutely no comparison to wild harvested deer. Not even close.

Release a bass then go buy fish from the store? Just the thought makes me laugh.