FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 06-26-2016, 03:34 PM
TN Transplant

Default Tagged Trout

I feel like I've seen this mentioned a couple times before but couldn't find much when I did a quick search. Managed to land a tagged trout on the Caney this morning. Could someone fill me in on what the tag is for? I let her go and she swam off strong but I was just curious.

On a another note, I love the Caney but the crowds this morning were crazy. I only fished about an hour around the dam this morning before I packed up and put in further down river. Couldn't hardly fish once you got out of the pond. Numbers and average size are still pretty good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2016, 04:39 PM

Those are from the Tellico hatchery. They stocked them a few weeks ago. I caught one last weekend too.. Here's the post from there facebook page.

"Some "Tellico Trophies" were stocked in the Caney Fork River today and they were wearing jewelry! All these huge rainbows were tagged with a small metal tag on their pectoral fin. The tag allows biologists to identify these fish during their electro-fishing samples. There is no prize or reward just the joy of catching a big rainbow."
Old 06-26-2016, 08:25 PM
TN Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lforet2002 View Post
Those are from the Tellico hatchery. They stocked them a few weeks ago. I caught one last weekend too.. Here's the post from there facebook page.

"Some "Tellico Trophies" were stocked in the Caney Fork River today and they were wearing jewelry! All these huge rainbows were tagged with a small metal tag on their pectoral fin. The tag allows biologists to identify these fish during their electro-fishing samples. There is no prize or reward just the joy of catching a big rainbow."

Thank you, lforet2002. Your post was the one I was thinking of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2016, 07:24 AM

Awesome fish man! I got one last Summer right at 19" and had a tag on the fin. They're retired brood fish. Just like humans, once fish reach a certain age their ability to successfully reproduce declines. I wish some people would better understand this before they go off wanting to hang me or threaten me (it has happened) over keeping a 3 pound Smallie.

A buddy of mine caught one a couple weeks ago in there that was 21.5" with NO TAG!! That's a special fish for sure, it was a rainbow. That means it was stocked as a smaller fish and has lived in there for a while in the wild eating a real diet and survived. He said he was really close to keeping it but didn't have a stringer with him. That fish would be butterflied and smoking over some apple wood had it wound up in my kayak!

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff