FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post
I've discovered you have to watch wrap around frames closely. If the fit is too tight, the glasses will fog badly when you're on the Caney on a hot, windless day. The frames I've got now don't fit quite as tightly, but they don't fog. It took me a couple pairs of sunglasses to figure that one out.

bd
Which model did you go with?

Speaking of sunglasses, if anyone rides these are what I have.

http://www.7eye.com/Diablo-Glossy-Black/

Mine are the original Panoptx version that was $200 since they have changed the name to 7eye but are tremendous bike glasses.

Last edited by Travis C.; 04-16-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM

I have CDM 400's and 580's and Kaenons. Been wearing CDM for years and I love them. They do delaminate sometimes. Usually CDM will replace the lenses free. It's hard to say which ones I like the best. The CDM's I have (eliminators) wrap and tend to fog. Thats when i usually switch over to the Kaenons. If you value your eyesight and spend alot of time on the water better dish out the money and get some protection. Don't trust your most essential sense to $5 glasses.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Are there any good sunglasses out there that can be worn over your prescription glasses? I'd love to buy one of these, but I'd be blind without wearing my glasses. I have a pair of the Cocoon sunglasses from BPS, but I'm not really impressed with the results.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNtransplant08 View Post
Are there any good sunglasses out there that can be worn over your prescription glasses? I'd love to buy one of these, but I'd be blind without wearing my glasses. I have a pair of the Cocoon sunglasses from BPS, but I'm not really impressed with the results.
I spent 21 years working in the desert of Saudi Arabia. I can tell you how important sunglasses are. I won't get into a debate about Costa..Oakley...and so on. Until I started buying prescription sunglasses I used to wear FitOvers....the brand FitOvers. A lot of ex-patriots in Saudi used to wear FitOvers...at least until we reached the age of 40 and had to start wearing bifocals....LOL. Then most of us started buying scrip sunglasses. At the time they were made in Australia...now they are made in China. One of the differences now is you don't have the size selection in those that you used to. But they are still a good sunglass. My sunglasses are prescription so if I get from Oakley...Costa....locally....they are going to cost me three to four hundred dollars. No you won't get good eye protection from a 15 dollar pair of sunglasses....but if just a pair of sunglasses is all you want you don't have to spend 400 bucks either. However.....if you are getting a prescription sunglass get ready to shell out some money. Whatever I bought I would just makes sure it blocked the harmful UV...blocked intense light...eliminate glare...and block certain frequencies of light for what you are using them for. Sunglasses for fishing...golfing...need to block different frequencies than if you only used sunglasses for driving.

Regards
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Before I got laser surgery I wore Cocoons and really liked them. Though not as good as CDM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Are there any good sunglasses out there that can be worn over your prescription glasses?
That's what contact lenses are for!

bd
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Fishing TN Staff

With the fogging issue, I've found that the glass lenses fog easier than the Polycarbonate. The Polycarbonate are lighter also, but I feel that the clairity of glass is better, but that just might be me.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:

bd
A little tough when you're wearing bifocals

So what I'm gathering is that the flip-ons aren't worth it?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 PM

Default Costa Del Mar Recommendation

I have been looking at some Costas...am looking for any advice on body and more importantly on lenses...I mainly fish rivers and lakes (no ocean fishing)...usually Caney, Harpeth, and Priest...so many options in lenses that I feel like they need to offer an online course!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Wordty,

Here's some info to better inform you.

All Costa Del Mar sunglasses are hand made in Daytona Beach, Florida

400’s are produced in three different kinds of lenses (CR39, Polycarbonate, and 400) the 400’s just eliminate glare while the 580’s do that and make the reds, blues and greens more vibrant.

CR39 – Scratch resistant plastic

Polycarbonate – Weigh less, won’t shatter like glass so good for shooting, mostly offered in frameless glasses like aviators, eliminate glare

580Glass – Have the clearest visibility, eliminate Glare, no distortion near the edges of the lens, reduces yellow light, more vibrant reds, blues, and greens, heavier, can shatter (glass), will fog easier, and if left in the cold will fog while on your face until the glass comes up to temperature. Offered in copper, blue mirror, grey mirror, silver mirror, green mirror

580’s are typically the most expensive

I have a pair of Triple Tail’s coming with the 580G Blue Mirrors coming to me. These will be for fishing in the Gulf and south Florida.

As for frames I like a frame that will block light from coming in on the sides between my face and the glasses. My Man O' War's had removable side pieces that would block the light, but that’s one more piece you can loose, as to where the frames of the Triple Tail are larger on the side to reduce light in. As far as to what frames are the best it’s up to the individual user, and what fits their face the best. Lenses are a personal choice also where I like the blue mirror for the beach, amber for creeks and rivers where I may encounter shady areas or lower levels of light.

For what is best they are all good, it’s just what fits your style and preference.

Jeremy

Last edited by Reel Tune; 04-18-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 AM
DBirdtn

I own a set of Kaenon Gauge sunglasses and absolutely love them.Got the grey lens and toutouise style frames very good on those sunny days.Cost a little more than i wanted but truely are worth every penny.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM

I need prescription sunglasses. Can I get these really nice sunglasses in prescription? Where?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
I need prescription sunglasses. Can I get these really nice sunglasses in prescription? Where?

I know the Costa Del Mar's you can, and Kaenon's probably. If your interested in the Costas just go to their website and look up a dealer http://www.costadelmar.com/
Old 04-19-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:

bd
Well there's always that, lol. But I hate wearing them.