FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 11-12-2015, 04:04 PM

Default Outdoor stored boat/motor-freeze proof suggestions

Im still in the process of getting a permanent storage situation for my boat and with winter coming, im looking for some ideas on what i can wrap around the lower unit to to keep any remaining water in it from freezing during the cold months coming up, and cold nights coming even sooner.
would a couple of heavy duty blankets wrapped around the lower unit be enough to keep it from freezing? should i wrap the whole motor?
currently the boat has its own tight fitting cover and its under a car port so for rain/snow its good to go, just the motor is sticking out from the carport.
Brings a tear to my eye that my baby has to spend its days alone, in the cold, probably scared...LOL.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:22 PM

Just make sure there is no water in the engine,lower it and cover the exhaust to keep critters and such out, pop the cover and drain the carburetor bowls if you have them, pull the batteries and put them in the garage with a trickle charger and you should be good. It would not be a bad time to pull all the fuses and other connections and put dielectric grease on them, in addition.

Last edited by notorious; 11-12-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 PM

Just Lower the unit like it's in the water and bump the motor to dump all
internal water.
Next is run it this winter and damn the cold ! If not use stabil.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Just Lower the unit like it's in the water and bump the motor to dump all
internal water.
Next is run it this winter and damn the cold ! If not use stabil.
Oh for sure! my operation is 12 months a year....my boat will never be winterized if i can help it! the colder the better! lol
Old 11-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Dakota S

Me too 12 months of fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2015, 08:09 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Me too 12 months of fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Preach it brother!

Regards
Old 11-14-2015, 09:51 AM

Mine stays outside all winter and has for years. The boat and motor stay covered. Like Halli said, lower the motor after your trip and let all the water drain out. Once your home, store it all the way down.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
Im still in the process of getting a permanent storage situation for my boat and with winter coming, im looking for some ideas on what i can wrap around the lower unit to to keep any remaining water in it from freezing during the cold months coming up, and cold nights coming even sooner.
would a couple of heavy duty blankets wrapped around the lower unit be enough to keep it from freezing? should i wrap the whole motor?
currently the boat has its own tight fitting cover and its under a car port so for rain/snow its good to go, just the motor is sticking out from the carport.
Brings a tear to my eye that my baby has to spend its days alone, in the cold, probably scared...LOL.
I would also go ahead and change the lower unit lube now to make sure you don't have any water in it and it will be ready for spring.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:39 AM

i agree that Just make sure there is no water in the engine,lower it and cover the exhaust to keep critters and such out, pop the cover and drain the carburetor bowls if you have them, pull the batteries and put them in the garage with a trickle charger and you should be good
Old 12-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile School for thought .. <'TK><

I recommend and do myself, is to fill your fuel tank up and add Stabil. What this does is keep the void space in your tank from condensing and creating water. Secondly Put your Muffs on and run the motor and circulate the treated fuel through out the fuel system, (lines, carbs, injectors, etc.) DO NOT drain any fuel from the system.

When fuel is removed in the lines and carb etc. Gas, being organic, evaporation will dry and residual fuel will form in the empty lines and carbs. This creates a scale, so what happens is when new fuel is introduced to the system it flushes this scale straight to the bowl of the carbs, which is where your high speed jet is located...

Like previously stated in other post, just lower the motor to a vertical position and all water will exit the motor when it is shut off, no bumping the starter necessary, in fact this destroys a dry Water pump Impellor do to the thrust vertically as well as on the blades. They are designed that way . No water is trapped in the pump, Its intake pulls from below the water line and discharges in to the exhaust housing .. Think about it, Northern fisherman and duck hunters are out in sub freezing conditions to the point their boats actually get frozen in ... Have you ever heard of a 2 stroke outboard engine block freezing ? Now the lower unit is a different animal .. Need to check to make sure your seals are good by checking for water in the oil. Make sure the motor has not been run for at least 3 days, this lets the water and oil separate. Remove the lower fill screw quickly and reinstall. The water will be the first thing that will come out ... Also look for a milky color oil that is evidence of water in the unit. ... Now as far as critters getting in the cooling system passage ways (Mercury's are the worse) is Dirt Dobbers and there are many types of these ... By running your motor during the down time in the winter will prevent this... Hope this helps <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 12-05-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:19 PM

Thanks guys! l run the boat year round so im not concerned with the winterizing or long haul over the winter, i was just curious as to keeping any water left over in the lower unit and else where how to prevent that from freezing between trips. Ive got it covered to prevent any water from getting in from rain and such, so as long as i tilt the engine after use to get rid of water then store it in the down position, i should be all set.
Thanks again for the replies.