FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 PM

Default Braid?

Been think about putting some braid on my flippin rod. Does it make a real difference? Do fish see it easily? I've always just used 20 pound mono on pretty much everything.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Owner and Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer L View Post
Been think about putting some braid on my flippin rod. Does it make a real difference? Do fish see it easily? I've always just used 20 pound mono on pretty much everything.
Stick with P-Line or Berkley Big Game Mono ... Braid is a gimmick ... I've exp. with it for three decades it has not proved anything to me except that it is abrasive and detrimental to you equipment (eyes) <'TK><
Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 AM

The lack of stretch is very nice in some applications. TK is right that it's rough on the eyes of your rod. Fish definitely see it. I wouldn't use it without a leader.

bd
Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 AM

The only application I find braid useful is when throwing things back in heavy pads. The braid will help cut through if it's hung up or fish on deep in them.

But even then its not enough for me to use it.

For me its either mono or fluoro.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Fishing TN Staff

I use braid on my pitching rod, frog rod, and soft plastics rod.

Pitching rod 30lb Power Pro
Frog rod 65lb Power Pro
Soft Plastics 30lb Power Pro

If i'm fishing clearer water I'll tie on a 4-6' leader of Fluoro using the Uni to Uni knot on the pitching, or soft plastics rod.

Cranks, Jerkbaits, Spinnerbaits, and most top water I use flouro.

Jeremy
Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 PM

30 & 65lb Power Pro on my flipping and pitching gear. Rarely do I use a flouro leader for those applications and I have not seen line visibility to be an issue with jigs, tubes, frogs or creature baits. But then again I am typically on Old Hickory and in the cane grass in less than 3 feet of water.
For my spinning rods I use flouro leaders tied to 20lb Power Pro for all shakey head, drop shot or finnesse applications. On my 12' crappie rod I tied 20lb braid straight to the jig or hook, never had a problem and you will always get your bait back if you hang up.
Pretty much any guide made from Aluminum Oxide, Hialloy, Hardloy, or better all stand up very well to the super lines.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM
ALANRAYG2

I have tried braid on about everything. what I have found is....flipping it is a pain in the bottom. It will twist around every little twig in the buck bushes. Cranking it will cause the lure to tear free from the fish.....no stretch. Carolina it will help help for sensitivity. Crappie I like Fireline. I will tie directly to the lure. sauger fishing I will use 20lb on the main line a swivel and 12 to 15lb big game for a leader. In any application get hung up is a pain. You have to have a stick of wood to wrap the line around to break it. WARNING It will cut you!!! I like to banjo a hung-up. This is almost impossible with braid unless you have a very limber rod. I can banjo a crappie jig and it will straighten a hook. A flipping jig or carolina you will almost always break them off. Fishing in grass I have been told that it is great as it will cut thru the grass. I do not have first hand knowledge in that application. Then there are always the wind knots.......I have use 20 and 30lb braid for fishing specks and reds in Louisiana. Works great on spinning tackle. good luck if you try it. I do not recommend Nanofil. I made a posting the other on here.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 AM

If I was gonna use some braid; how long of a leader would I probably need to put on with it?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer L View Post
If I was gonna use some braid; how long of a leader would I probably need to put on with it?
Leaders are not a must, just depends on application, and water clairity. If I'm using a leader I will tie one on the night before around 5ft and use it throughout the weekend trimming off a little as I get knicks, and abrasions. I use the leader until I have around 1' left then I will trim my braid a few inches and retie a new leader. I use the leader for shock aborbson, abrasion resistance, easier to break off than the main braid, I use flourocarbon so the fish don't see it as easily as braid.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 AM

I love fishing with braid. Super lines have a lot smaller diameters than mono so you can put more line on the spool. It has no stretch which allows you too see light/sensitive bites. It works great for jigging especally for walleyes. I do often use a 2ft mono leader attached by a small swivel when the fish are being finiky.

Think link from basspro has a lot of hepful tips about braided lines.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...0001&langId=-1