FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 PM

Default B.A.S.S. Green Bay Mystery Lake event

I was curious what your opinion on the Wisconsin DNR's decision to create a boundary line that the pros cannot cross?

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/where...ill-be-fishing

Unless I'm missing something, the creation of this rule doesn't really make much sense to me. They've made the best smallmouth waters offlimits to the pros. The lower end of the bay is shallower and warmer, while the nothern half is deeper, cooler with crystal clear water (prime smallie habitat). The way I understand it, they don't want fish from the northern part of the bay and the southern part of the bay mixing when they are released. Bass in these waters roam great distances, so I don't really see what the big deal is. They're also concerned about the fish being transported over long distances in the livewell. Obviously they've not watched other B.A.S.S. events and know that they have a low mortality rate. Don't see how 99 pros will have a bigger impact on the fish in comparison to the hundreds of local tourney anglers the rest of the year. There is a large smallmouth tournament out of Sturgeon Bay every year that takes place right in the middle of the spawn. Also, the way I understand it, the FLW events that has taken place in the Bay have not had to deal with the same restrictions.

I know its not really that big of a deal and something to get worked up about. It will still be a good tournament with some good catches. But I was excited about this tournament and now not as much. I was looking forward to the monster smallmouth bags and the chance to showcase how great of a smallmouth fishery Green Bay is. It doesn't get much attention as it deserves and I think its almost in the same class as Lake Erie. I still think KVD is one of the favorites to win this tournament!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNtransplant08 View Post
I was looking forward to the monster smallmouth bags and the chance to showcase how great of a smallmouth fishery Green Bay is.
I think's more politics or someone in the DNR with a grudge. There will still be 20lb sacks though. If I remember correctly KVD hasn't fished that side but his nephew has. They both should do well as should Aaron Martens since he is a top notch dropshot guy.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:26 PM

Travis, so far it looks like you're right on the money with your call on Aaron Martins and Jonathan Vandam!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Obviously they've not watched other B.A.S.S. events and know that they have a low mortality rate.
The mortality rate for smallmouth has been much higher than for largemouth every single time this has been studied. This is especially true in summer tournaments when the smallmouth are being pulled out of very deep, cool water when it's hot outside.

Quote:
There is a large smallmouth tournament out of Sturgeon Bay every year that takes place right in the middle of the spawn. Also, the way I understand it, the FLW events that has taken place in the Bay have not had to deal with the same restrictions.
This seems like a better argument for restricting the other tournaments instead of letting the BASS one go forward.

The big tournament in the middle of the spawn seems especially like one we could live without.

I guess it's all about whether you are okay with killing some smallmouth so that you can see a guy in a decal jacket and a boat painted like a NASCAR racer make some money. Not really my thing.

bd
Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Travis, so far it looks like you're right on the money with your call on Aaron Martins and Jonathan Vandam!
It's just really hard to count Martens when there is going to be a deep clear water bite.