FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-01-2013, 09:52 PM

Default Favorite trout rod/reel setups

Hey guys, what size/length rods/reels are you using for midrange trout fishing? I usually use small reel and 4 lb. with 5' ultralight. Do you think 6' light would create better hookups? Usually throwin roosters, spoons and TM's.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFiend View Post
Hey guys, what size/length rods/reels are you using for midrange trout fishing? I usually use small reel and 4 lb. with 5' ultralight. Do you think 6' light would create better hookups? Usually throwin roosters, spoons and TM's.
Alpha would be the rod expert. While he has been laid up with the bum knee I know he has been researching a lot about rods. I believe he is a certified rodologist.

Roy

Last edited by browntrout; 02-01-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 PM

I think your right Browntrout. I was checking out the Microwave thread, good stuff. My kids are graduating from Barbie/Batman rods/reels and inheriting mine. So I am looking to change my game up a little?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Master Trout Magnet

The first year I fished for trout....in a serious manner...I used a 7 foot UL with a slow tip. I missed a lot of trout with that setup. For the past couple of years I have been using a 7 foot UL with a fast tip. My catch rate has increased and I just prefer it. My reels are Shimano Stradics....1000 series.....spooled with 2# test. If you are a weekend fisherman you can get by with a Sedona 1000 spooled with 2# test. I will try out the new rod with the waveguide on the Caney but I think it may be a little too soft for trout. Seasoned trout fisherman differ on soft or fast tip. I hate missing any fish but when using a soft rod for trout it just happened too much. For the past 3 years I had my eye on a Phenix Elixir but it took me this long to get the money and pull the trigger. I am ready to hit the pond and try it out as soon as the knee is better. This is just my opinion...you will find very good trout guys that will tell you a soft tip is the way to go. tcintn uses a very soft action rod and he catches more trout than anyone I know.

Regards
Old 02-02-2013, 09:10 AM

My favorite is a 9ft TFO 5wt paired with an Orvis Battenkill Barstock III reel and Rio Line.

The spinning setup I have used for a while is a Pro Qualifier P020X Reel on a 6'6" Berkley Lightning Rod UL fast tip and 2lb SOS line. I really like this setup but wish it was a 7ft rod.

Also, I have multiple spools for the same reel spooled with 2lb test and 4lb test. Which ever route I'd suggest taking any extra spool or two with you to the river. One good run and breakoff, bad wind knot or anything on 2lb could really hurt your distance casting with lots of line off the reel.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 AM

I just bought a BPS microlight 6'0" UL that has a pretty soft tip. I have a 1000 weight daiwa reel spooled with 4lb on it. I hope to try it out soon!

I have always used short, cheap UL setups. 4'6" and 5'0" rods. Always left me wanting more....I broke the last one recently while moving so i decided to upgrade. hopefully this extra length and a nicer rod will do the trick.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
My favorite is a 9ft TFO 5wt paired with an Orvis Battenkill Barstock III reel and Rio Line.

The spinning setup I have used for a while is a Pro Qualifier P020X Reel on a 6'6" Berkley Lightning Rod UL fast tip and 2lb SOS line. I really like this setup but wish it was a 7ft rod.

Also, I have multiple spools for the same reel spooled with 2lb test and 4lb test. Which ever route I'd suggest taking any extra spool or two with you to the river. One good run and breakoff, bad wind knot or anything on 2lb could really hurt your distance casting with lots of line off the reel.
You are right about the spare spools. Unfortunately if one uses Shimano reels spare spools are a thing of the past. The Pflueger Supreme XT I got last year came with spare spool and the clicker broke on it and I tried to get a another spool. If you can get one they want 40 bucks for the thing...ridiculous. This is the reason I have two rods on the Caney.....both are same but it is along just in case.

Regards
Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
I just bought a BPS microlight 6'0" UL that has a pretty soft tip. I have a 1000 weight daiwa reel spooled with 4lb on it. I hope to try it out soon!

I have always used short, cheap UL setups. 4'6" and 5'0" rods. Always left me wanting more....I broke the last one recently while moving so i decided to upgrade. hopefully this extra length and a nicer rod will do the trick.
Those BPS micro lights are good.....just a little too soft for me. I used to own about 4 of them...gave them to my son.

Regards
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM

5 wt for flyfishing

For roostertails on spinning rod, like you asked. Fenwick Eagle GT 7' Light power, moderate (almost fast) action with Diawa SS Tournament 1300 reel (or Exceler 2000 or Pluegar Supreme 8230MG). 4lb test, usually AN40 but that varies.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
5 wt for flyfishing

For roostertails on spinning rod, like you asked. Fenwick Eagle GT 7' Light power, moderate (almost fast) action with Diawa SS Tournament 1300 reel (or Exceler 2000 or Pluegar Supreme 8230MG). 4lb test, usually AN40 but that varies.
You'll never have to replace that Diawa SS. Those things are made to last.

Regards
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 AM

I would typically use 5' ultralight rod. The last few times I went I used a Mitchell 6.5' with 4lb. and small phlueger reel. This is a light fast tip rod and I am landing more fish. It seems with a little stiffer action I can get a better hookset and keep fish on. What the preference of going to the 7'?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFiend View Post
I would typically use 5' ultralight rod. The last few times I went I used a Mitchell 6.5' with 4lb. and small phlueger reel. This is a light fast tip rod and I am landing more fish. It seems with a little stiffer action I can get a better hookset and keep fish on. What the preference of going to the 7'?
Maybe more casting difference.....maybe a little better balance depending on your reel.....and in a kayak it is hard fighting a fish around the front of you if the rod won't stick out past the bow a little.

Regards
Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Hey Alpha I was just thinkin the other day about asking your opinion on rods and then this thread popped up. I do have one question.. if you had equivalent length rods and reels with 2# test which would cast a 1/64th oz lure better, soft tip or fast tip. thanks, always enjoy your posts. regards
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by commdd View Post
Hey Alpha I was just thinkin the other day about asking your opinion on rods and then this thread popped up. I do have one question.. if you had equivalent length rods and reels with 2# test which would cast a 1/64th oz lure better, soft tip or fast tip. thanks, always enjoy your posts. regards
You are going to get both sides of that as an answer. I have always been able to cast the Trout Magnet farther with an UL with a fast tip. I had a Shimano Compre given to me about 5 years ago. It was an UL with soft tip. I never could get any distance with that rod. When I finally started using rods with fast tips my casting distance increased. I just had a rod made for me from a 2wt fly rod blank. I wanted it to give me a good fight when I am into only 6 and 7 inch Gills. There is no doubt it will do that. I wanted it to cast as far as all the other rods I have. Standing on my front porch and using same reel and casting 7 different rods it does not cast as far as the ones with the fast tip. Now it casts far enough and it may take me a while to get used to such a whippy rod and cast it correctly. But if I could only pick one rod it would be a 7 foot UL with a fast tip. The rod I have with that microwave guide outcasts them all....it is a 6' 6" UL with a moderate fast tip. It casts like a dream. I have no clue as to what the feel of the rod will be but I sure enjoy casting with it. My goal is to be at Nickajack casting for crappie with it no later than March 1st....then I can give a good report how those guides are.

Regards
Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 PM

Alpha, great information! I have a 6 1/2 ft UL with fast tip so I should be right in the zone for both distance and hook setting capability. Thanks again for your detailed response. look forward to your reports when your back out there. regards.