FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
I was told that firearms are not allowed on Corps property. I believe that covers all of the major impoundments in TN. Is this correct?

I had friends fishing off the bank at Cooks Landing after dark. Metro stopped and talked. They were advised that they should have a gun if they were there after dark.
Lots of night fisherman take guns on their boats.
A flare gun is not illegal to have in your possession. It can be a lethal weapon when fired into a criminal's boat (or his torso).
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 PM

I'm a LEO and I'm not aware of any prohibitions from being on JPP or the area ramps with a firearm. I would encourage it as long as you have the proper HCP (permit). I keep my firearm on my boat. I normally put in at Long Hunter State park. At least there's a park ranger there. I haven't had any problems and have been going there for several years. Too far for a kayak to go to the dam from there though. How about at the Boat club next to Nashville Shores? I've put in there before. I don't think it's a private ramp. Last I've heard you're not allowed to make a ramp private on JPP because the lake is public and the corps won't allow it. That's what I heard when Hamilton Creek tried to gate theirs up with the sailboat marina.

With that said, I also put in at the Sailboat marina for years with no problems. There's a lot of gravel there for the catamarans and rowboats. It's not too far from the dam. There's good fishing in that cove by itself and the two coves to the left (as your coming out). Fish the point on the left near the no wake buoys and down that bank with flat rocks. I've always caught bass there. Also straight across from the marina cove is a big boat ramp where Anderson Rd campground is. That's a good bass/hybrid point as well.

Last edited by Scott715; 04-18-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 PM

I apologize if I left the impression that JPP ramps should not be used. Day time I have fewer worries. After dark is a different story.

Day use for me on the lower end is:
1. Elm Hill Marina
2. Either ramp in Hamilton Creek -lot of kayakers there
3. Anderson road
4. Four Corners - mid lake
4. Smith Springs - I see some kayaks there and fishing is decent following the shore around to the YMCA camp.
5. Hermitage Landing (if still accessible)
6. Cook landing - ramp at end of road or pay to get in the park and carry kayak about 100 yards to water.

Last edited by SAMBOLIE; 04-19-2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: info unnecessary
Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Fishing TN Staff

The good thing about a kayak is that you don't need a ramp. I've put in at this little park just on the west end of the dam 36.153712,-86.621318, and put in at the pull off just to the east of the dam 36.158754,-86.615632 both off of Pleasant Hill Road. I've found some nice gills up here last spring, I was catching them by accident on cranks they were all real dark and healthy.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM

How does one go about finding and catching gills on JPP? I would mind catching a few for the pan now that I have a small boat. I usually fish out of Jefferson springs and the forks.