FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 06-30-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonDaze View Post
Buccaneer, do you have any numbers you can share? We're headed down in a couple weeks.
SalmonDaze - we, my son’s and I, went out with Shikari Charters, Capt. Chris Sheppard. Been going out with Chris now 5 years in a row. Limit is two red snappers each. We caught our limit (8) plus a crap ton of mingo snappers all on light tackle spinning gear 12lb test. 1 oz weights, rigged like a Carolina rig with Flouro leaders. Red Snappers were in the 65’ depth range, rigs off the bottom, dropped for a 12 second count. Easy to see the fish on his Raymarine 12” graphs. He has chicken coop reefs all over the Destin to Navarre area. Mingo’s caught on the bottom in 85’ on rock hard bottom. All with small greenie live bait and circle hooks.
PS - we ran 15 miles WNW from Destin pass for the Red Snappers. We caught a ton of Triggers which can’t be kept. Best eating fish in the Gulf.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 06-30-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:05 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
SalmonDaze - we, my son’s and I, went out with Shikari Charters, Capt. Chris Sheppard. Been going out with Chris now 5 years in a row. Limit is two red snappers each. We caught our limit (8) plus a crap ton of mingo snappers all on light tackle spinning gear 12lb test. 1 oz weights, rigged like a Carolina rig with Flouro leaders. Red Snappers were in the 65’ depth range, rigs off the bottom, dropped for a 12 second count. Easy to see the fish on his Raymarine 12” graphs. He has chicken coop reefs all over the Destin to Navarre area. Mingo’s caught on the bottom in 85’ on rock hard bottom. All with small greenie live bait and circle hooks.
PS - we ran 15 miles WNW from Destin pass for the Red Snappers. We caught a ton of Triggers which can’t be kept. Best eating fish in the Gulf.
MANY THANKS!!! I'll keep the depths noted. We'll likely be picking our way along little further west of that line. Sounds like you've got a great captain to work with . . . That makes such a YUGE difference in an outing.

I've been pretty happy with my Raymarine running wi-fi to an I-Pad; and that's how we've always had success: stop and drop.

Triggers are a pain to clean, but sure hope they open up for recreational fishing soon; like you said: the best.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:45 AM

Went out on the Cumberland for a mixed bag this am. Caught bait(bluegill) then tried for catfish and rockfish. Did not even see a rockfish but caught two blues in 42 FOW and two channels in about 12 fow. Blues were around 15 lbs each. Ended up throwing top water for bass. Had 6 hit my zaraspook and landed zero. Water has dropped and cooled a bit.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paincave View Post
Been catching walleyes at Normandy lake the past few nights,heading out again here shortly.

That’s what I’d like to be doing too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Been catching walleyes at Normandy lake the past few nights,heading out again here shortly.

I need to down low on this..... Those walleye in that lake drive me crazy.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
I need to down low on this..... Those walleye in that lake drive me crazy.
Me and a friend ended up with 9,average size was 19" to 20" with one being 24". Anytime you want to go just let me know and I'll show you what little I know about them there.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Me and a friend ended up with 9,average size was 19" to 20" with one being 24". Anytime you want to go just let me know and I'll show you what little I know about them there.

Dang, those are good fish. I've only caught one keeper out there while trolling. It was a nice 24" fish. Long days with few bites....
Old 07-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Dang, those are good fish. I've only caught one keeper out there while trolling. It was a nice 24" fish. Long days with few bites....
Anytime you want to go just let me know and we'll see what we can catch.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Anytime you want to go just let me know and we'll see what we can catch.

Will do, I'm just up the road from you in Christiana. I don't get a lot of free time with the two jobs but I am working on getting back to just one so maybe later this summer/fall I will be more available. John (TNBronzeback) can attest to my fishing prowess
Old 07-02-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Will do, I'm just up the road from you in Christiana. I don't get a lot of free time with the two jobs but I am working on getting back to just one so maybe later this summer/fall I will be more available. John (TNBronzeback) can attest to my fishing prowess
Sounds good,looking forward to it
Old 07-06-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I've been fishing a lot but just not posting much. I've been fishing a lot at night from about 6pm-3am. The fishing is pretty good at all the lakes I've been fishing. I'll give a little report on how I'm catching them.

JPP: The fish seem to be moving around a lot. Points are the deal som nights and shallower bluff banks on others. But we have always found them somewhere and they are biting when you find them. Spinnerbait, jig, and 10 inch worms have been my best baits.

Center Hill: The hill seems to be fishing small. Lots of dead water but when you get around some there seems to be a lot of them. Steep channel banks and on the edges of deeper flats has been my productive patterns. My best bait by far has been a white with black flake tube or a black tube.

Dale Hollow: Main lake grass. It's a pain in the butt to fish but it's holding some good fish. The thicker the better. I've been having the most success by just chunking a tube with a 3/4 ounce weight in there and fighting the grass all the way back. There are small bare spots in the grass and that's where you get bit or on the edge. You can't see the holes at night so you just have to keep casting in it and hope you hit a clean patch somewhere along the way back. It doesn't seem to matter if that clean patch is in 8 feet or 25 feet, you are just as likely to get bit in either. We just fished DH last night and our best 5 fish weighed 17lbs 15 ounces. I'll post a couple of pictures of the bigger fish that we caught last night.

I haven't fished OH much at all. I did go out the other day just because I wanted to fish fast and shallow and I had no problems getting bit. It was during the middle of the day and I just picked up a buzzbait put the trolling motor on high and ran the shade. I fished a lot of grass with no luck but caught almost every fish on a piece of wood. My biggest fish was 3.25lbs but I caught quite a few short fish as well.
Your buddy there sent me those same pictures bragging about your trip! He's invited me a couple of times and it has never worked out. Looks like y'all had a good time.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
Your buddy there sent me those same pictures bragging about your trip! He's invited me a couple of times and it has never worked out. Looks like y'all had a good time.
Ryan is a great guy. We were college roommates and played college golf together. You should get with him and set up an afternoon or night and we can get after them. My boat has plenty of room for 3.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
Ryan is a great guy. We were college roommates and played college golf together. You should get with him and set up an afternoon or night and we can get after them. My boat has plenty of room for 3.
Yup.. great guy. I met him at the golf course a few years ago when I first moved here and he's been great about inviting me on a fishing trip or duck hunt or dove hunt it whatever.

He actually called me last week when y'all went, but we were at the beach.

I'm itching to get up there and see what it's all about. Bought my first boat this year and have never fished Dale Hollow.

He showed me a couple of crappie spots on OH that helped me fill the freezer in the spring. Either he doesn't know how to bass fish it in the summer or he doesn't want to tell me where those spots are. Haha!

Fished OH from 4:30-5:30 yesterday evening and only caught 4 or 5. Only a couple of keepers!
Old 07-07-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
Yup.. great guy. I met him at the golf course a few years ago when I first moved here and he's been great about inviting me on a fishing trip or duck hunt or dove hunt it whatever.

He actually called me last week when y'all went, but we were at the beach.

I'm itching to get up there and see what it's all about. Bought my first boat this year and have never fished Dale Hollow.

He showed me a couple of crappie spots on OH that helped me fill the freezer in the spring. Either he doesn't know how to bass fish it in the summer or he doesn't want to tell me where those spots are. Haha!

Fished OH from 4:30-5:30 yesterday evening and only caught 4 or 5. Only a couple of keepers!
He doesn't bass fish OH very much at all. He's eat up with smallmouth so he's usually going somewhere to fish for them. We don't get to fish together near as much as we should. I'd be happy to have you in the boat at DH, or you could bring your own boat and follow me around a little so you could waypoint a few things. It can be an intimidating lake but it patterns really well. I struggled on DH until I spent a few hours looking over the lake on my Navionics app on my phone. Once I got a good feel on reading a lake map those good summertime spots really started jumping out at me. The lake patterns so well that when I'm on a certain pattern I can look at the map and have complete confidence in running new water and know that fish will be there. Get with Ryan and you guys plan an afternoon that's not too hot or a night that works for you. My schedule is almost always open during the week.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:59 PM

I haven't been fishing near as much either, been on 2 seperate week long vacations in the last month and working a lot more... tried to do a little fly fishing up in the smokies, not too successful. Been wading in the creek more, the creeks are on fire right now if you like catching smallmouth.