FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Default 1st trip to Center Hill - wow!

I just moved to Nashville from Cincinnati and fished Center Hill for the first time on Saturday with a couple of buddies. All I can say is wow - if you live in the area do not take for granted that you're within an hour of a half dozen excellent fishing destinations (and within 2 1/2 hours of a dozen). I'm used to the goal for every smallmouth outing to be one fish over 18" (where the minimum is 14" which should be amended) but now the bar has been raised. Our best five included a stud largemouth and 4 smallmouth over 18". All caught on soft plastics. Here's a picture of my 18", 19", & 21". Thank you TWRA for what must be excellent management practices!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg center hill 4.7.2012 1.jpg (111.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg center hill 4.7.2012 2.jpg (95.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg center hill 4.7.2012 3.jpg (111.9 KB, 119 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM

I love catching those smallies. That was a great trip.

Wait until you hit Dale Hollow, you'll get tired of catching those because your really trying to catch the 6+ lbers.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Good looking fish. I would say that was pretty sucessful trip.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Nice fish....I am heading back Thursday. Saturday was not the best Small Mouth day for Center Hill. Had there not been a high pressure just moved in on top of us you probably would have caught 30 to 40 like those. Center Hill is under utilized. When my nephew and I paddled to shore for lunch he commented there was not a single person in that picnic area. Tennessee has some great recreation sites.....those of us who fish realize what we have but far too many are letting a great recreation benefit go by. As for Dale hollow I am heading up in about 2 weeks or so trying to catch some of those huge Gills and Shell Crackers that are there. I will hook quite a few Smallies I am sure but more than one Dale Hollow guide and or expert on the lake will tell you that the lake is chock full of the 4 pound fish but the 6 pound fish are fewer than years past. No one seems to know why but it is a fact. Not that you won't catch any that size but for whatever the reason the Big Boys are fewer and farther in-between.

Regards
Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
tdow3

you say soft plastics.....were yall carolina riggin lizards or somethin like a floating worm?????
Old 04-11-2012, 02:42 PM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWalker View Post
I just moved to Nashville from Cincinnati and fished Center Hill for the first time on Saturday with a couple of buddies. All I can say is wow - if you live in the area do not take for granted that you're within an hour of a half dozen excellent fishing destinations (and within 2 1/2 hours of a dozen). I'm used to the goal for every smallmouth outing to be one fish over 18" (where the minimum is 14" which should be amended) but now the bar has been raised. Our best five included a stud largemouth and 4 smallmouth over 18". All caught on soft plastics. Here's a picture of my 18", 19", & 21". Thank you TWRA for what must be excellent management practices!
Congrats to moving south. I am from Ohio as well. Moved here in 1992. I can recall bass tournaments winning with 4 to 6 lbs. During dog days we counted bites......lol I moved here and went nuts for several years. I am sure you will find the fishing here better than anything up north. A very bad day here is like a very good day in Ohio.........lol I am excluding Lake Erie of course. TWRA, has done a fantastic job for all of us sportsmen.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdow3 View Post
you say soft plastics.....were yall carolina riggin lizards or somethin like a floating worm?????
No we only had one bite on a carolina rig though I hear that is a popular tactic out there in the spring.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWalker View Post
No we only had one bite on a carolina rig though I hear that is a popular tactic out there in the spring.
Its good in the spring especially searching areas around spawing flats. I personally like it around here better in the summer once it gets hot out on the main river ledges. That is where I usually drag it out the most.