FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 PM
summertimeKen

Default Anybody ever fish Williamsport lakes?

I made the trip down to Columbia last week and enjoyed it... it was a little chilly for kayak fishing, but well worth it. If you do, which lake do you like better? I believe they have 2 lakes open. I fished Shellcracker. Here is a video of one of 6 I caught last saturday... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdl4H...1&feature=plcp

-Ken
Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by summertimeKen View Post
I made the trip down to Columbia last week and enjoyed it... it was a little chilly for kayak fishing, but well worth it. If you do, which lake do you like better? I believe they have 2 lakes open. I fished Shellcracker. Here is a video of one of 6 I caught last saturday... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdl4H...1&feature=plcp

-Ken
I fish Williamsport quite a bit early Spring through early Summer. I drive quite a distance to get to most spots I fish and Williamsport gives me some fun fishing and a break from driving so much. However I don't really target the Large Mouth there. Neither one of the lakes has a lot of cover. I put the kayak in and hunt out big Gills to catch. Both lakes do hold really big bass though. I have had several bass come up and inhale an 8 or 9 inch Gill I am fighting to the yak. These fish are in the 8 pound range...and it happens quite a bit too. For me both lakes fish the same. With the kayak I can find beds of Gills that have sometimes a hundred fish on it. While I have not caught any Gills that hit the pound mark from there....most run in the 1/2 with the occasional 3/4 pound fish. The lakes are close by and provide me with a fishing fix and a short break from driving so far.

Regards
Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 AM

I assume the lakes are trolling motor only lakes or small motor?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD816 View Post
I assume the lakes are trolling motor only lakes or small motor?
Yeah...its trolling motors only there.

Regards
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM

Alpha,

Bluecat also has good-sized hybrids and some surprisingly large blue catfish in it. The bass are nice, my best is one around 5 lbs, but I don't target them because the 5-10 lb hybrids are too distracting. My bro in law seems to be a catfish magnet on any body of water, and Williamsport is no exception. We've been in the middle of a hot hybrid bite and he missed out because a 25 lb blue crashed the party. The previous trip, we found bass suspended at 10' over 20' of water that were attacking shad. We dropped our baits into them and were both catching fish steadily until a 30+ lb blue took his kayak for a ride.

These trips were last winter during the coldest times we had, and I'm looking forward to our next trip.

Chris
Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Sarah got her 1st Tennessee TARP Award from one of these lakes with a 10" bluegill a couple years ago. In the spring time I've followed a single bass around for a long time trying to get her to take a lizard, and in the winter I've pulled several hybrids up that were between 26&28 inches.

These lakes are not easy to fish, somtimes I'll fish one all day for 1 fish, and sometimes it's just amazing. But usually on the tough side.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
Sarah got her 1st Tennessee TARP Award from one of these lakes with a 10" bluegill a couple years ago. In the spring time I've followed a single bass around for a long time trying to get her to take a lizard, and in the winter I've pulled several hybrids up that were between 26&28 inches.

These lakes are not easy to fish, somtimes I'll fish one all day for 1 fish, and sometimes it's just amazing. But usually on the tough side.
You are so right Jeremy. While I am no longer a bass aficionado it is a tough place to fish. I would have to say it is the lack of cover...just my opinion. But for Gills in the Spring time it can be awesome.

Regards
Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnative View Post
Alpha,

Bluecat also has good-sized hybrids and some surprisingly large blue catfish in it. The bass are nice, my best is one around 5 lbs, but I don't target them because the 5-10 lb hybrids are too distracting. My bro in law seems to be a catfish magnet on any body of water, and Williamsport is no exception. We've been in the middle of a hot hybrid bite and he missed out because a 25 lb blue crashed the party. The previous trip, we found bass suspended at 10' over 20' of water that were attacking shad. We dropped our baits into them and were both catching fish steadily until a 30+ lb blue took his kayak for a ride.

These trips were last winter during the coldest times we had, and I'm looking forward to our next trip.

Chris
Chris I have fished that lake in Summer and got into areas that all I would catch on my 2# line were those Catfish. Would have to move off of that area to get away from them...LOL.

Regards
Old 10-31-2012, 04:50 PM

I used to fish Williamsport all the time, especially before I had a kayak. With a trolling motor, you can easily fight the wind and work the shore. I've definitely caught some monster largemouth there. Also, the crappie love rooster tails.

Have to say, though -- the wind + the bad roads have made it less attractive to me lately. I didn't make it there this year.