FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-13-2019, 10:11 AM

Default Eating venison/CWD

I have a freezer full of venison harvested in Madison County. What is the prevailing opinion about how safe this meat is to eat? Amy someone, from TWRA said she threw all her venison out, but supposedly it is still safe to eat.

Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 AM

My thoughts are that if you killed it, and the deer didn't have any outward signs of disease; it's likely just fine.

However, I'm not a big venison steak fan. Backstraps are "ok" in my book; but I like my meat rare; and this isn't recommended for deer coming out of areas with a known CWD region.

I LOVE to blend venison with pork for sausage. Since this is always cooked at temperatures exceeding 180* F, there's 0.00% chance of illness.

So, briefly said: grind that - still cold (not quite frozen) venison - with your choice of fatty protein; and you're good to go.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:25 PM

I love the critters...always go to Piggly Wiggly and get pork fat scraps and have it processed to make into breakfast sausage... keep the Back Strap and a shoulder for BBQ, that's it Too Lean for anything else other than leather...and sausage balls....then I cook it to safe temp.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 PM
ALANRAYG2

I haven't hunted in several years. That said here is my favorite way of eating venison. I slice it all to about 1/2 inches thick. I then pass it thru the cuber twice. Once long ways and then once crossways. I then vacuum pack it. When it's time to have some fora meal; I thaw it in the vacuum bag. One thawed I place the meat in cold water for 10 to 15 minutes. This will pull much of the blood out. I salt and pepper it or season it with my favorite seasonings. roll it in flour and deep fry it until it's done. Consume the cubed steaks with cold beer.
now for the hunks and chunks I crock pot the with potatoes, carrots and onion. I add some 3 to 4 beef bouillon cubes. cook until done and tender.
Now I'm hungry....Alan

ps I might have to hunt next year !!!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:33 PM
Fishing Fool

https://tnwf.org/chronic-wasting-disease-is-here/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk