FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Default Jug bait

Starting to do some jug fishing with my dad, we have always used night crawlers. What bait do ya'll find works best? Fishing OH . Thanks.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemarlin View Post
Starting to do some jug fishing with my dad, we have always used night crawlers. What bait do ya'll find works best? Fishing OH . Thanks.

if you are wanting to catch lots of fish. i will use shrimp soaked in garlic. get it in a jar at the store minced up.

for big fish we use blue gills. if they are the right size alive and still kicking. if they are bigger then we like to use we will cut them in to half or thirds. also alot of ppl use skipjacks. i have only used them once(cut-bait) they work about like the gills for us.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

A friend of mine who is a professional fisherman/trapper uses cut bait (any fish) but he only uses pieces about the size of a fingernail, less than 1/2 inch square. He runs trot lines and outfishes ayone that I know.

Cut up skipjack is some of the best bait you can get and you can catch all you want below the dams when they are generating. Fish right in the boils with a three or four small jig setup and you will catch plenty of skipjacks. Sometimes I go and catch them just for the fun of it. If anyone wants some, let me know and I'll catch and freeze a bunch as there is no limit on how many you can keep. These will not be for sale, only be given away.

Last time out (two weeks ago) we were catching doubles, triples and quadruples. We'd rarely land any quads because the others would shake off while we were unhooking the first couple. But there were so many it didn't matter if we lost a half a dozen or more, we would always catch more.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95v6 View Post
if you are wanting to catch lots of fish. i will use shrimp soaked in garlic. get it in a jar at the store minced up.
That is what we always used except soaked in vanilla not just jugs but regular rod/reel fishing too.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 AM
Tennesseejugger

Cut skipjack, very oily fish and it is catfish candy! And men if I am not mistaken skipjack is singular not plural...LOL