FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 02-18-2015, 01:34 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Info on Carbon and climate change .. <'TK><

Ian Rutherford Plimer is an Australian geologist, professor emeritus of earth sciences at the University of Melbourne , professor of mining geology at the University of Adelaide , and the director of multiple mineral exploration and mining companies. He has published 130 scientific papers, six books and edited the Encyclopedia of Geology.

Born
12 February 1946 (age 68)

Residence
Australia

Nationality
Australian

Fields
Earth Science, Geology, Mining Engineering

Institutions
University of New England , University of Newcastle , University of Melbourne , University of Adelaide

Alma mater
University of New South Wales , Macquarie University

Thesis
The pipe deposits of tungsten-molybdenum-bismuth in eastern Australia (1976)

Notable Awards
Eureka Prize(1995,2002),Centenary Medal(2003), Clarke Medal (2004)

Where Does the Carbon Dioxide Really Come From?

PLIMER: "Okay, here's the bombshell. The recent volcanic eruption in Iceland . Since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet - all of you.

Of course, you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress - it’s that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans and all animal life.

I know....it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kids "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of abroad, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your 50p light bulbs with £5 light bulbs ..... well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes, FOUR DAYS - by that volcano in Iceland has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud at any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt. Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in all its years on earth.

Yes, folks, Mt. Pinatubo was active for over one year - think about it!!!!

Of course, I shouldn't spoil this 'touchy-feely tree-hugging' moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keeps happening despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.

And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud, but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you, on the basis of the bogus 'human-caused' climate-change scenario.

Hey, isn’t it interesting how they don’t mention 'Global Warming' anymore, but just 'Climate Change' - you know why? It’s because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past few years and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And, just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme - that whopping new tax - imposed on you that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won’t stop any volcanoes from erupting, that’s for sure.

But, hey, relax......give the world a hug and have a nice day!"
Old 02-18-2015, 09:15 AM

Anyone remember acid rain??? When I was a kid I thought that was going to kill us all. I have not heard a peep about that since I was probably 12.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:17 AM

I've seen so much faux "science" on Climate Change debunked from both sides that I'm fully convinced this is nothing other than a hot (pun intended) political issue that was initially created by the Democrat Party but of course is being used plenty by the Republicans as a quick talking point. They're quick to point out how much money Democrats waste on combating a made up phenomenon while they waste billions themselves on other ridiculous crap.

We're screwed, whether the Earth is heating or cooling and whether it's because I drive an SUV or because God intended it that way (the latter is correct), we're screwed.

And yes I remember acid rain. It was supposed to melt everything we see and rot the Earth to nothing but a giant circular shaped pile of dirt. I also remember all the ridiculous predictions Al Gore made about how much melting we'd see of glaciers by a certain year, how high the ocean would rise, the self destruction of Earth, etc. that never came to fruition. It's all a political game.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
Anyone remember acid rain??? When I was a kid I thought that was going to kill us all. I have not heard a peep about that since I was probably 12.
That's because sulfur dioxide emissions that created sulfuric acid have been reduced by over %75 since we were kids.

This was mandated by the Amendments to the Clean Air Act in 1990, and is largely done by "scrubbers" that wash the SO2 out of the flue gases at coal burning power plants.

So, scientific data lead to government regulation, which created a lot of construction and engineering jobs to get all these scrubbers built, and now we have eliminated acid rain, and still have the cheapest electricity in the country? Huh.

Graph here (or see attachment):

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=10151

Billy
Attached Images
File Type: png emissions.png (14.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-19-2015, 02:27 AM
Owner and Administrator

Thumbs up Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbus View Post
That's because sulfur dioxide emissions that created sulfuric acid have been reduced by over %75 since we were kids.

This was mandated by the Amendments to the Clean Air Act in 1990, and is largely done by "scrubbers" that wash the SO2 out of the flue gases at coal burning power plants.

So, scientific data lead to government regulation, which created a lot of construction and engineering jobs to get all these scrubbers built, and now we have eliminated acid rain, and still have the cheapest electricity in the country? Huh.

Graph here (or see attachment):

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=10151

Billy

Billy is 100% correct... My job for 13 years while working for TVA was to monitor, maintain and calibrate the EPA telemetry on the stacks at Gallatin Steam Plant ... Sulfur in the coal was a big issue then as well as opacity to the general public... So Electrostatic precipitators and scrubbers was added to reduce the sulfur emissions...

Now with this being said ... Lets look at this in a different prospective ... Coal fired plants emissions are definitely confined and concentrated ... and by todays standards with the mega watts that they develop the % is two fold over a century ago ... But has anyone ever seen the pictures of Church street in Nashville in 1900 ... When everyone used coal and coke for heating their homes... The pollution was so bad you could not see across the street ... Not counting all of the factories ...

So in the 21st century we have done a great job of harnessing this pollution ... But this is something we can control... We mine it , burn it and try to contain the emissions. But I really don't remember anyone melting from Acid Rains and as far as that goes any ill effects?? And I have been around almost 7 decades ... ( I do remember the nuclear bomb attack drills in schools where we put our heads under the desk so we could kiss our A-- goodbye)

Climate control, and Carbon, and erupting Volcanoes ... is just Mother Nature ... Total different ball game than Acid rain ... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-19-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 AM
rookie

Ya'll need to watch "an inconsistent truth" by old uncle Phill Valentineif you havent already, big eye opener, local TN product by the way!!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:46 AM

There is a lot of money to be made in the global warming hoax.

It's got to be real if Bill Nye says so.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:11 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Electrostatic precipitators and scrubbers <'TK><
Blah..haha

I had to craw into the top of 14,000 volt Precips to clean fly-ash from them using fire hoses in 3 foot or less confined space areas (above yer head as the coils you craw across where hundreds of feet deep walking like a duck or crawling to spray them down.

Then walk thru fly ash knee to waist high to clean Scrubbers for TVA
I learned quick that I am too damn Old to do this stuff but can say the current building of Scrubbers (IE Gallatin Plant) will help Fly-ash drop from the air because I have seen this in many plants to include
Kingston Fossil plant of where when we would collect Fly-Ash from the plant and then deposited it to the holding pond they would say be careful of the berm as it is soft and could collapse
haha Yep that the one that broke and they said... really?! how did that happen.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:56 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile I love uncle Phil !! ... But !! ..<'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Sportsman View Post
Ya'll need to watch "an inconsistent truth" by old uncle Phill Valentineif you havent already, big eye opener, local TN product by the way!!
Uncle Phil gets his ego going sometimes and sometimes He is Just Full of S--- ... Now don't get me wrong ... I am glad for his efforts ... But sometimes his facts aren't always correct, While listening I have caught him in inaccuracies when it comes to physical sciences ... ... But I will say he has more truthful substance than the counter opposition ... And basically uncle Phil's flaws, are just basic walking around non mechanical and electrical sense ... I know he drives a bio diesel etc ... But I guarantee you He did not build it or has ever turned a wrench on it ... Now I love Uncle Phil ... But he is very inadequate in basic electrical and mechanical theory ... I've listen to him to long ...

Now as far as "Inconsistent Truth" This is right on and I would say 75% of it I would take to the Bank ... Like Jimmy said both sides are biased ... But I know the side that this country was built on leans to the right ... Anyway that was the side I fought for ... ... ... <'TK><
Old 02-24-2015, 04:12 PM

Has everyone heard the latest on this phenomenon? Now the Federal Dietary Guideline Advisory committee is recommending that aside from red meat being unhealthy (absolutely 100% FALSE) it also contributes to "Climate Change" and they are recommending we eat more of a plant based diet.

I can promise I'll have a few extra slices of bacon, from pasture raised pigs, over the weekend just in spite of such a ridiculous claim.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
Has everyone heard the latest on this phenomenon? Now the Federal Dietary Guideline Advisory committee is recommending that aside from red meat being unhealthy (absolutely 100% FALSE) it also contributes to "Climate Change" and they are recommending we eat more of a plant based diet.
I have not heard that one yet. But from the moment we are all born we begin to die. Everyone's life span is already decided upon and different but that fact above is 100% true. We should eat healthier so that we have sufficient energy for mind body and soul but it won't change the above statement.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post

I can promise I'll have a few extra slices of bacon, from pasture raised pigs, over the weekend just in spite of such a ridiculous claim.
Most all animals eat plants. Therefore my diet is plant based.

Eating plants definitely contributes to Climate Change. The climate changes drastically in a room after eating beans.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:28 AM

Travis - The whole red meat, saturated fat, dietary cholesterol being unhealthy for you is completely wrong and based on cherry picked, and politically influenced "science". The Feds have already backed off the cholesterol thing as of recently and said we can go ahead and eat egg yolks. Thanks, Govmnt. They still say to avoid "saturated and trans fats" which is hysterical to me that they'd group them together as if they're anything alike. One is natural and healthy, the other is synthetic and kills you.

I agree the average American diet is terrible and if "red meat" consists of burger patties with fillers and chemicals to preserve the meat and the meat coming from factory farmed cattle then yes, you're doing it wrong. However, if you're buying your red meat from local farmers who raise their cattle on pastures and/or hunting your own red meat, you're doing it perfectly right. I do both.

I find it absurd that the Government is now trying to tell us what we should and shouldn't be eating to help combat a phenomenon that the evidence for is shaky and politically motivated, just like the dietary advice is.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
Most all animals eat plants. Therefore my diet is plant based.
Ron Swanson said it best when he was served a salad on one episode of Parks and Recreation and he said "Excuse me there's been a mistake. You've accidentally served me the food my food eats."

Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the info Jimmy, I am not saying I disagree. My family and I tend to deal with absolutes we have faith in and not governmental theories or juggle politics around. I feel it's always better to eat as close to the source as possible. It's like when you were kids passing a saying in a circle the further from the beginning the more convoluted and different it became. We should do gardens, we should support local farms and we should not let an outside governing body tell us what is right wrong up or down. It's already been told and available for all to read in the Bible.

I know this isn't on topic or how the thread even started out and I wasn't even going to post in the thread but felt compelled to share. I hope you or none of the others mind.