FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Out Of State Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 03-31-2017, 06:02 PM
Dakota S

Default Okaloosa Island fishing pier

Down in Destin for my girls cheer competition but of course had to grab a fishing rod. Went a little bit this afternoon, some Spanish mackerel being caught. I Caught a few which I've never done before only a 12 inch length limit. Used a lure called got-cha with a wire liter that the Guy selling bait their recommended. Always enjoy catching something I've never caught before. They fight like a skipjack.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:18 PM

They can be fun to catch, and not bad on the plate, just trim off the red meat, and the extra row of bones that run from the spine out. Gotcha's work great for them. Note that that 12" is a fork length limit, not an overall length limit. A 12" fork length spanish is still pretty small.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:07 AM

Swap that wire leader out with a 50 lb. mono leader and you will get more bites. Just check your leader often for chewed up spots.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Dakota S

Good point fellas. Yes I did learn that it is the fork of the tail. It's amazing if you ask the locals they know and most will tell you. Also I had a local guy fishing beside me with the heavy monofilament leader and he was getting a few more bites than me and Did re tie several times. Just fried up Spanish mackerel great tasting fish. My girls really really liked it. They said it was the best thing they've had since We've been down here. I think The limit is six, next time if I get into Them i would keep all six because the taste is so great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2017, 05:09 PM

White buck tails jigs that some people call "looney jigs" (I think that's just where I fish though) and bubble rigs work well for Spanish. My favorite saltwater fish is catching flounder by slowly dragging a bull minnow on a Carolina rig on the bottom.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:55 PM

Good fish taco meat. Marinade in olive oil and McCormicks Fajita Seasoning, black iron skillet cook them, corn tortilla's and whatever you want for extras and condiments. They're pretty good smoked also.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:13 PM

The limit is 15 not 6. I use 18 sevenstrand wire if I can get bites, when they are leader shy when the water is clear I will go to 40 mono. Cut the wire a little long and clip it as it gets roughed up. Figure 8 knot is all you need.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Dakota S

Oh yes 15 not sure why I put 6? Thanks for the ocean fishing tips everyone!

Old 04-02-2017, 06:49 PM

You have early-stage Gulf Pier syndrome. Next will be the purchase of a king rod and reel. Then custom king rod, gaff, and pier cart. Vacations are planned avoiding full moons, neap tides, and second half of July/August. Final stage of the disorder consists of purchasing a condo or home at the beach. I'm about to be in the final stages. Sorry to be the one to break this to you....
Old 04-03-2017, 07:04 AM

FishAddict - thanks for the heads up on the Gulf Pier syndrome but I think it is too late for me. I am now at stage three and dreaming of stage four everyday.

Have my reservations already set for Four Seasons in Orange Beach the second week of May. The next 6 weeks are going to go by SOOOOO slow.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Dakota S

Lol. I'm in the early stages just dreaming about owning a condo in the Destin area. 😀

Old 04-04-2017, 04:28 PM

I'll be on Miramar Beach in early June. Going to hammer some near shore salty creatures and spoil the hell out of the grandchildren.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAddict View Post
You have early-stage Gulf Pier syndrome. Next will be the purchase of a king rod and reel. Then custom king rod, gaff, and pier cart. Vacations are planned avoiding full moons, neap tides, and second half of July/August. Final stage of the disorder consists of purchasing a condo or home at the beach. I'm about to be in the final stages. Sorry to be the one to break this to you....
Dr. Addict,
Looks like you need to bone up on your disease epidemiology. The syndrome includes purchase of ocean-capable boat, long-range tow vehicle, and thousands of dollars "invested" in trolling gear long before the victim succumbs to the final stage.

Just 10 days before my sojourn to Fort Morgan and my next 5-day infusion.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:04 AM

SalmonDaze, give us a report back on your Fort Morgan trip. I have never fished out there but I have considered it several times when I was staying in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedbass View Post
SalmonDaze, give us a report back on your Fort Morgan trip. I have never fished out there but I have considered it several times when I was staying in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach.
Will do Spot,
This is "round two" for us at Ft. Morgan. Couple pics attached from October 2015.

These were just the reds.

Also: flounder, little tunny, king mack, spanish. Would love to have run into cobia other pelagic; but no such luck. Lots of sharks, lady fish etc.

This trip was a result of the wife's comment in October . . . "let's go fishing in Alabama again in the spring."

Uh . . . honey; you got it!!!

I married a keeper!

We're not big on the Destin scene; generally, look to get away from the crowds; so Ft. Morgan fits our "speed." Also, no boat needed. The end of the peninsula is perfect for surf rods casting into the inlet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mered.jpg (378.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg mom.jpg (3.25 MB, 29 views)