FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-27-2018, 07:09 AM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 702
Default A tip for tube fishing

I love throwing a tube. It's a great flipping bait and it's a great bait to fish this time of year on steep banks. I always texas rig a tube. The only downside to tube fishing is line twist. It will ruin fluorocarbon line in no time. I exclusively use Sunline Sniper fluorocarbon and it's pretty expensive. The other day I spooled up some new line and after one night of fishing my line was trashed. I researched a solution and found what I was looking for. If you will tie a barrel swivel to the end of your line and tie a 15 inch leader to the swivel then your good to go. I just cut 15 inches off my main line and use that as my leader. It's going to save me a lot of money. Hope this helps someone that was having the same issue. BTW the stike king flipping tubes are the most durable that I've found. The head of the tube isn't hollow but is solid instead. I am averaging 4-6 fish per tube with SK versus 2-3 fish with other brands.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-27-2018, 08:29 AM
Schleprock's Avatar
Schleprock Schleprock is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Crossville
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I love throwing a tube. It's a great flipping bait and it's a great bait to fish this time of year on steep banks. I always texas rig a tube. The only downside to tube fishing is line twist. It will ruin fluorocarbon line in no time. I exclusively use Sunline Sniper fluorocarbon and it's pretty expensive. The other day I spooled up some new line and after one night of fishing my line was trashed. I researched a solution and found what I was looking for. If you will tie a barrel swivel to the end of your line and tie a 15 inch leader to the swivel then your good to go. I just cut 15 inches off my main line and use that as my leader. It's going to save me a lot of money. Hope this helps someone that was having the same issue. BTW the stike king flipping tubes are the most durable that I've found. The head of the tube isn't hollow but is solid instead. I am averaging 4-6 fish per tube with SK versus 2-3 fish with other brands.
Good idea, I've never used a tube but I notice that those rage tail shad also twist so I'm going to try that with them

BTW, have you ever heard of K9 flouro? its not 100% flouro as it has nano particles added to combat memory, all the benefits of flouro without the memory, it also is very durable, been lasting twice as long as the spider wire flouro I had been using , smooth and strong and best of all 550 yards is just under $20
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2018, 10:38 AM
FloatNFish FloatNFish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Hickory
Posts: 321
Default

Great info. You mind posting a picture of your version of a Texas rigged tube? I donít bass fish often but I always struggled to get tubes to rig straight and look natural.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2018, 11:16 AM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Good idea, I've never used a tube but I notice that those rage tail shad also twist so I'm going to try that with them

BTW, have you ever heard of K9 flouro? its not 100% flouro as it has nano particles added to combat memory, all the benefits of flouro without the memory, it also is very durable, been lasting twice as long as the spider wire flouro I had been using , smooth and strong and best of all 550 yards is just under $20
I've used it but I'm not a fan. Sunline is the smoothest casting fluorocarbon that I've found. The swivel trick worked flawlessly for me the other night.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2018, 11:20 AM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatNFish View Post
Great info. You mind posting a picture of your version of a Texas rigged tube? I donít bass fish often but I always struggled to get tubes to rig straight and look natural.
No problem. I don't use a tube jig head. I wil use a 2/0 or 3/0 extra wide gap hook with a tungsten sinker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1089.JPG (1.78 MB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-27-2018, 04:50 PM
FloatNFish FloatNFish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Hickory
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
No problem. I don't use a tube jig head. I wil use a 2/0 or 3/0 extra wide gap hook with a tungsten sinker.
Thanks! I was always trying to use the sinkers that you shove up inside the tube then thread your hook through. Just never seemed to be able to get the right combination of tube/sinker/hook to get a good presentation. That Texas rig looks good!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Halli's Avatar
Halli Halli is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hermitage
Posts: 730
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
No problem. I don't use a tube jig head. I wil use a 2/0 or 3/0 extra wide gap hook with a tungsten sinker.
Wrong end Mister we want to see the Swivel not the bait!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-27-2018, 09:22 PM
Texas_Rig's Avatar
Texas_Rig Texas_Rig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethpage
Posts: 702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Wrong end Mister we want to see the Swivel not the bait!!!!
If you can zoom in you'll be able to see it. Probably more like a 2 foot leader there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1090.JPG (3.01 MB, 63 views)

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 07-27-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2018, 05:50 PM
Halli's Avatar
Halli Halli is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hermitage
Posts: 730
Thumbs up

Nice setup I shall try it on the Cumby!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-30-2018, 11:56 PM
ALANRAYG2 ALANRAYG2 is offline
Cartoonafish
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia, TN
Posts: 239
Default

I have used a similar setup for sauger fishing. I would use 20# braid for the main line with a swivel then 12# fluro. I liked the ball bearing swivels best.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Site best viewed at 1280X1024
© FishingTN.com